Font Mismatch

The font settings aren't retained when I create a note using the desktop client and edit later using the web client (and vice versa). Is this expected behavior?

It creates a visual inconsistency within the note that bothers me, and it's incredibly annoying to reformat every time I use a different interface to make a change to a note. This is a very common workflow for me.

---

Ok, while making some test notes for screenshots to attach to this post, I learned a few things and it makes the behavior even more confusing to me. As you can see in "Test Note 1", the web editor doesn't recognize the font size change that was made in the desktop app. The same thing occurs in "Test Note 2" except for that last line. But it's not just the inline change that's recognized by the web app because it recognized the change to 14pt right away. So, it seems as though the web editor matches the desktop app default settings, and it isn't recognizing changes within the same note when the changes are made in the desktop app. Except for sometimes... Very confusing.

I don't mind that the size definitions are different -- I can deal with remembering that 10pt = 16pt -- but if I'm making changes in the web editor thinking that everything is the same, then go back to the desktop app and have to reformat, well, that's just silly.

---

Windows 10, app version 6.25.1.9091

New web editor, version 6.17.0

Test note 1 desktop.png

Test note 1 web.png

Test note 2 desktop.png

Test note 2 web.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  Depending on which browser you are using,  you may find that there's a default layout and defined fonts for web pages - which is probably different from the defaults you set in Evernote.  The answer to this issue would appear to be the same as for most others with this current editor: use a word processor that includes the fonts you require,  and attach the output file to your note.  Open your notes/ documents in the appropriate software on each device.  While you can copy/ paste the content into the note to feed the search index,  the layout is no longer relevant.  Your 'perfect' copy is in the attachments.

Thanks! I didn't think of that as a workaround. It's a little bit too much of a hack, in my opinion, though I can see how it could work well.

After digging into it a little bit more, I'm fairly certain that the web editor uses whatever is set as the default font in my windows client. (Maybe that's an account-level setting? I only have the client installed on one computer.) This appears to be true for the iOS app as well. And if this really is the case, and it's consistent, I can live with it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/15/2020 at 8:17 AM, CBiscuit said:

The font settings aren't retained when I create a note using the desktop client and edit later using the web client (and vice versa). Is this expected behavior?

The default fonts are different between platforms.  If you leave them as default on all platforms changes made on one platform should maintain the default font on other platforms.  Edit the font on one platform and you probably won't get what you want on the other.  Even if you stick with the default font on whatever platforms sizing never works well for tables.  You need more space in a cell on the desktop for the cell not to wrap on a mobile device is my experience. 

Net of it all, stick to the default fonts by platform for best results.  Maybe the new editor addresses the issue.  Though that's a wait and see proposition for me based upon history with EN and editors.  

On 8/17/2020 at 1:02 PM, CalS said:

Though that's a wait and see proposition for me base upon history with EN and editors.

Agreed! I've been with EN for quite some time and the editor has always been my biggest beef. Every few years I'll shop around, but can't find anything else that does everything else nearly as well. So, all things considered, I can deal with these types of editor nuances.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CBiscuit said:

Agreed! I've been with EN for quite some time and the editor has always been my biggest beef. Every few years I'll shop around, but can't find anything else that does everything else nearly as well. So, all things considered, I can deal with these types of editor nuances.

Ditto.  Only time the editor bothers me is with table perspective per my previous comment.  Otherwise I use the KISS method when formatting. 

• Like 1