Dark Mode for Windows

Georgi Georgiev

Idea

On 2/18/2020 at 9:03 PM, PinkElephant said:

EN uses the OS function on the other devices. So in this sense there is feature parity between the different clients, because it draws dark mode support from the OS everywhere, where available. I personally doubt that EN will develop an own dark mode just for Windows to make up for the inability of Microsoft to provide it.

I think you misunderstand how this works. The OS doesn't magically "provide" dark mode. It merely offers a system-level settings switch. It's still up to the app itself to implement dark-themed styling it can switch to when the OS setting changes. This is exactly how it works on Android, for instance. Not to mention there are plenty of Windows apps that enable dark mode already - you really don't need a system-wide setting for that. I've got several of such apps open at this very moment: Notepad++, Sublime Text, Android Studio, Skype (the classic one, not the UWP version), Fork.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, V-2 said:

Not to mention there are plenty of Windows apps that enable dark mode already - you really don't need a system-wide setting for that. I've got several of such apps open at this very moment: Notepad++, Sublime Text, Android Studio, Skype (the classic one, not the UWP version), Fork.

As far as I can tell, Notepad++ (which I use a lot) doesn't implement a true dark mode, which would include UI elements as well; seeing as how the Settings dialog doesn't change is a clue. What it does offer is the ability to theme the editor, and some themes are dark ones. I assume that Sublime Text, VSCode, Atom, etc. are also like that. If that suffices for you, fine, and that would probably be a lot easier to implement in Evernote than what I believe that others are asking for, and which, I believe, is the holdback on Evernote offering true dark mode. To be honest, a better ability to theme default editing would be handy, though.

I don't know how big the Evernote UI surface is, but for fun, I ran a simple check on the code base that I live in, and it has 480+ dialog and property pages that I could detect, and probably more that I didn't get to. It sure wouldn't be fun converting those to be dark-modeable. We do, one the other hand, offer a fair number of translated versions, which is probably more important for us than dark mode.

22 hours ago, V-2 said:

It merely offers a system-level settings switch.

Not really. The only way a Win32 app knows that is by looking at an undocumented registry key. (Unless MS has changed that in the last few months - I work on Ubuntu now so I don't really keep up on things like that)

And trying to get some system components (like the list control) to draw correctly is ... um ... I'm sure people at Evernote can still hear the echos of my screams (I left last June!) when I tried to get the listctrl working correctly...

Yes - come one developers - this is boring now - will consult my coding Friend to investigate why coding a dark mode for PC is beyond the Evernote developers....

I am a lifelong Evernoter (am committed and have poured enough money into the Evernote pot)....

The need for dark mode is twofold - it's better for the user's eyes and it is greener - at the basic level it saves power.

So I think Evernote has to make a choice.

I'd like some answers....

Neal 

• Level 5*
On 3/14/2020 at 9:00 PM, Neal Scheurer said:

Yes - come one developers - this is boring now - will consult my coding Friend to investigate why coding a dark mode for PC is beyond the Evernote developers....

I am a lifelong Evernoter (am committed and have poured enough money into the Evernote pot)....

The need for dark mode is twofold - it's better for the user's eyes and it is greener - at the basic level it saves power.

Neal 

The guy posting immediately before you was the developer...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/14/2020 at 5:00 PM, Neal Scheurer said:

Please go back and read previous posts by @dcon and o/ or @dconnet for more information. I'm pretty sure that he is more knowledgeable about Windows programming than your friend. Or do a web search; there's plenty of information out there on the difficulty of doing dark mode for Win32 applications.

Remember that a lot of what yo'u're paying for is the Evernote service, and not just the software. But it's your money, so it's your call, obviously.

Evernote made a choice, and the answers are already available; see my first suggestion for how to find them. That's not to say that the choice will stand forever, but I think you'll find that there was a rational business reason for making their choice. If it were easy, they'd have done it already, as they have on other OS's.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, dcon said:

`@dconnet` was my previous Evernote time (thru Jun 2019).

`@dcon` is me!

:)

Oh I knew that -- it's just that both of you posted things worth reading!

1 hour ago, jefito said:

Oh I knew that -- it's just that both of you posted things worth reading!

I know you knew that! But some of the newcomers may not have made the connection!

• Like 1

Just discovered a way to get dark mode for evernote on windows! Use the web version of evernote and in chrome use the extension "Night Eye" ... works great visually. At least on my system it does add a bit of lag loading a note but worth the tradeoff.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Eyrm said:

Just discovered a way to get dark mode for evernote on windows! Use the web version of evernote and in chrome use the extension "Night Eye" ... works great visually. At least on my system it does add a bit of lag loading a note but worth the tradeoff.

Except for the fact that the native Windows application is miles more functional than the web application...

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Ferdinand Forwardius said:

Adding my third device a windows pc I decided to become paying member. Suddenly discovering evernote hasn't got a dark mode in windows. Seriously reconsidering my membership. This is strange, backwards, and hard to understand for software that feels so forward when used on mac.

If you look and read for posts by @dcon and @dconnet (the same person, an ex-Evernote developer) in this topic, you will find out wy it is difficult to implement on native Windows applications.

On 3/30/2020 at 2:54 AM, Ferdinand Forwardius said:

Adding my third device a windows pc I decided to become paying member. Suddenly discovering evernote hasn't got a dark mode in windows. Seriously reconsidering my membership. This is strange, backwards, and hard to understand for software that feels so forward when used on mac.

speaking to the choir of early-adopter requesters and laggard justifiers of the dark-mode technology adoption life cycle.

this request goes back over five years. surely it doesn't take five years or more to update code for dark mode.

business priorities of bug squashing vs end-user requests.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45681-dark-themedark-mode/page/8/

as long as the users request bug fixes, the requests are prioritized.

What’s in 6.24 GA?
Fixed:

Some users experienced errors when connecting Evernote to Google Drive 
The app would not restart after changing language settings
When clicking on a notebook, the app would not always load the first note in that notebook
The confirmation window when exiting the app was not always visible
“Synchronizing notes” progress bar was not appearing

18 hours ago, jefito said:

If you look and read for posts by @dcon and @dconnet (the same person, an ex-Evernote developer) in this topic, you will find out wy it is difficult to implement on native Windows applications.

who needs to request dark mode on windows when all that is needed is to buy and only use a mac for the purpose of one app;

macs aren't that expensive anyway;

It's in the computer? It's so simple! - Misc - quickmeme

who uses windows anymore; windows is the new big blue.

/sarcasm  ;)

here are some manual options for the end-user who wants a potential solution instead of a sounding board:

1. Possible Dark-Mode for Windows SIMPLE Workaround Found
  2. Solution to not having white background for notes

testing in Windows Sandbox to see if it actually works....

it works for the note background. had to make a copy and send a copy of the .exe to C:\ , change the user permissions to full control, run sfk, then paste it back over the original .exe

I read an old comment written by Evernote's support guy that the "Dark mode feature" for windows is not a priority while now you guys are working for more effective features..

well, UI/UX is the most important in any program or application as we all know, trust me *Dark Mode* is one of the most important feature to any user now days, I'm surprised how wide community you have while you guys are not implementing a lot of UI/UX features and that's why you should be proud actually!

I'm programmer and I can see how hard work you've done already ❤️ and I can imagine the amount of new ideas you get from users and the enthusiasm to implement them 🔥 but you have to keep in mind that all Windows users are waiting for the dark mode 👬👫👭    

• Level 5*

Hi. Please check the other threads. A former Evernote Windows project coder has advised (multiple times) that dark mode is not possible in the current code base.  Work-arounds are detailed elsewhere...

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, mohannad.atmeh@gmail.com said:

I read an old comment written by Evernote's support guy that the "Dark mode feature" for windows is not a priority while now you guys are working for more effective features..

Please link to comment you are referencing. Don't leave us guessing.

Merging this with the longer "dark mode for Windows" request...

PLEASE enable a dark mode that switches the default background colors for the whole app (window header, menus, notes list, and the notes themselves) to dark gray or black and the default text color to light gray or white (user-selected text colors would of course override, but be adjusted for viewability). People who use the app a lot have been trying to tell you their eyes are bleeding. You've implemented this for Android (THANK YOU!), so you know how to make it work from a practical standpoint. Perhaps it's difficult from a programming standpoint, but PLEASE put the work in to make it happen. Your users' eyes will thank you!

I know there's a popular request out there already to be able to change the background color of just the notes themselves. That request has been floating around for 8 years and has garnered support, but no action. Obviously, if you implement that, any user-selected note color would override the dark gray/black background in that note.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, dkc said:

I know there's a popular request out there

Merged with (one of) the (many) previous requests. Please see the discussion this far - the short version is: dark mode isn't available in the current code base. Evernote are updating the apps this year. Maybe something will come out of that,  maybe not.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, dkc said:

I know there's a popular request out there already to be able to change the background color of just the notes themselves. That request has been floating around for 8 years and has garnered support, but no action. Obviously, if you implement that, any user-selected note color would override the dark gray/black background in that note.

Please read posts by @dcon / @dconnet to get a handle on why dark mode is difficult to implement on a Win32 application. Windows is not that same as Android...

I don't understand why implementing dark mode takes so much time. It should be added years ago. There are no technical limitations making it exceptionally difficult to do. It can be done and ought to be done.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kynareth said:

I don't understand why implementing dark mode takes so much time. It should be added years ago. There are no technical limitations making it exceptionally difficult to do. It can be done and ought to be done.

Yeah it is pretty sad when even Outlook now supports dark mode. If you are slower than Outlook, you are barely moving.

• Level 5

... even Outlook ...

One should keep in mind that Outlook is from Microsoft, so they are very close to new OS features.

In case of the EN client for Windows, it is still a 32bit app. These can’t „borrow“ the feature from Win10, which is 64bit. So to get dark mode, EN needs to release the whole app in a completely new, 64 bit version. There would probably nothing be left from today’s client, maybe except the logo.

And yes, this is over due. Getting a dark mode is probably one of the least important issues in a 64bit-Release of the Windows App. I still run a PC, but have shifted most of my activity over to a Mac, and my iPad. Both get dark mode directly from the OS. I think the Windows client will be launched with the new editor, hopefully soon.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Kynareth said:

Honestly, do tell. Please supply technical details, and be sure to do so in light of the fact that a former Evernote developer who worked on the Windows code, and did the estimates for his bosses said that it would be a lengthy process. His posts are right here in this thread, look for posts by @dcon and @dconnet.

20 hours ago, Kynareth said:

There are no technical limitations making it exceptionally difficult to do.

Uh. Yes there are. See my posts from (I'm guessing) a year ago.

18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

So to get dark mode, EN needs to release the whole app in a completely new, 64 bit version.

Dark mode has nothing to do with 32v64 bits. Windows Dark Mode is implemented in WindowsRT. We're (darn it - they're) a Win32 app (that refers to the API we're built on, not 32v64 bits - microsoft has such wonderful (confusing) names for some things). The application could be converted to 64 bits far easier - I'm guessing that wouldn't take more than a week, assuming all the 3rd party libraries in use are available. (no, don't suggest doing that - because now you've increased the installer complexity by more than 2. you've increased the testing effort by 2x. And frankly, it's not that memory constrained except in a couple particular places (import/export of enex files for instance).)

Supporting dark mode means completely (and I mean completely) rewriting the entire UI layer. Either in another technology (WinRT) or by completely customizing all the standard controls currently in use. (For instance, I tried to do the standard list control - after a solid week of work it was nowhere close - I'm sure it can be done, but at that time I had other bugs that were far more critical.)

Finally, there is a complete rewrite in progress. See the Beta thread.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, dcon said:

We're (darn it - they're) a Win32 app (that refers to the API we're built on, not 32v64 bits - microsoft has such wonderful (confusing) names for some things). The application could be converted to 64 bits far easier - I'm guessing that wouldn't take more than a week, assuming all the 3rd party libraries in use are available. (no, don't suggest doing that - because now you've increased the installer complexity by more than 2. you've increased the testing effort by 2x. And frankly, it's not that memory constrained except in a couple particular places (import/export of enex files for instance).)

Where I work, we've supported both 32- and 64-bit versions for some time.  But this year, we'll be dropping the 32-bit version finally. Doesn't make much sense any for us to keep it -- we do GIS, and mapping data can be really large/dense (e.g. billions of Lidar points), so we often need as much memory and processor as we can get. Easier for the installer person, for the testers, and for us devs, too. So hooray (for us)!

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

Just went through the conversion when switching to Catalina on my Mac.

Yes, some stuff is not running any longer. But no, nothing that could not be replaced or was just a left over from the old days.

Future, here we come !

On 4/25/2020 at 1:12 PM, PinkElephant said:

Future, here we come !

Guess my old Lenovo X61 isn't the future... Yes, that's a 32bit piece of hardware - still running Win7 (I tried to update it to Win10 at one point. Failed miserably. So it makes a good test machine) The only other 32bit "machines" I have are a couple Win-XP VMs. Not really sure why I haven't deleted those...

dark theme is pretty common and apps should respect the theme of the os.  the annoying bright white canvas of your app was a quick no and deletion of app.  will be looking for another note taking app.  why just 'dark theme' on the sidebar?  that's not where are eyes are primarily focused.

• Level 5*
On 5/2/2020 at 7:01 PM, Matters said:

dark theme is pretty common and apps should respect the theme of the os.  the annoying bright white canvas of your app was a quick no and deletion of app.  will be looking for another note taking app.  why just 'dark theme' on the sidebar?  that's not where are eyes are primarily focused.

Hi. Please search the forums for the already very extensive exchanges on this subject.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, daniel@xelectrix.com said:

I am thinking maybe not. Dark Mode is  a must have.

If your sole measure of whether a note app is fit for purpose or not is that it has a dark mode,  Evernote may not be the app you're looking for...

So after 2 years dark mode is possible in everything except Windows? That's a crock of S%&^

I've been paying for it for years but I'll be cancelling my sub today to find a windows alternative from a company that actually value Windows users. This is such a basic feature in 2020. If the code base can't support it, then change the code base.

On 5/17/2020 at 6:38 AM, mohannad.atmeh@gmail.com said:

Please 3 years while we are waiting the dark mode!
time to switch program?
Please email me when the dark mode is released to re-use Evernote

Use Tusk, an unofficial open source client for Evernote. It looks like it's built on electronjs (basically chrome engine) so it's a bit laggier, but has dark theme and looks modern. But the latest build has problems with themes and the developer hasn't responded yet, so get an older version and that'd suit you. :)

I'm seeing comments about this from over 3 years ago. This is clearly something that is wanted by the community. Why hasn't it been implemented yet? One article says that they don't even have a timeline for Windows/Web dark mode because they're "focusing on performance improvements and feature parity" before they're going to bother adding a dark mode for the rest of us. That was from 2018!!! If you're actually "focused on feature parity" then you would have added a dark mode when all of the other platforms got it. You instead make useless updates that either ruin the program, or no one needs when you could be doing something helpful like including PC users in the dark mode feature. I quite literally do not understand why this basic feature has been excluded from this program and has continued to be ignored for so long. It's about time this happens.

• Like 1

Annoying consequence of Dark Mode being available on some systems and not others: I have Dark Mode on one Mac running 10.14 (Mojave) but then my other Mac (with 10.13) doesn't have it, so notes with multiple colours are a nightmare because some colours don't stand out on white, others don't on black. If we could simply change the colour of the note background, that would solve it, at least it's a crude workaround if a full Dark Mode can't be implemented on all systems. Thanks.

• Level 5*
On 5/18/2020 at 10:36 PM, NatashaP said:

I quite literally do not understand why this basic feature has been excluded from this program and has continued to be ignored for so long. It's about time this happens.

Hi. If you read the thread,  there's some background information from the software engineer responsible for this part of the app to get you up to date.

I loved EN but stopped using it several years ago just because I didn't like looking at all the green. I'm more of a pastel blue or purple person, or even grey or beige. Green everywhere, especially on white, just made me not want to look at the app.  Even the forums are green!

Every couple of years I check this forum to see if there have been any changes to the UI to make things more appealing to more people's eyes, and I'm always disappointed. You guys clearly have a talented dev and QA team, and the app is great. But when people keep not wanting to use an app because of the way it looks (whether it's the green or the light/dark mode or anything else), regardless of how great the features are, it's impossible to tell how many customers you miss out on.

I switched to another app years ago even though the other app had (and probably still has) fewer features. I switched to it because I like how it looks. I like opening it. It's eye candy to my brain, and for that reason alone I use it even when the company takes out features. Every few years when I open EN to see if it has changed any, I think "Nope, still that same green" and I close it and make a mental note to check again a few years later.

If people don't want to use the app solely because of the way it looks, regardless of whether it's the color scheme, font, etc., then for those people it won't matter how much dev effort you put into adding more bells and whistles.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Someone said:

If people don't want to use the app solely because of the way it looks

That's entirely their privilege and choice. I've avoided apps because the UI is unattractive. The problem with providing flexibility is: it has to work and (theoretically) look the same in multiple operating systems on a wide variety of screen sizes.  The cost of implementing this would not be inconsiderable - and there's no obvious return for Evernote;  would it drive new customers?  Or just annoy existing users who see the app getting bloated with more and more option choices...

Hey Evernote team, I've been using app for years now. Would be amazing to have this dark mode feature be fully integrated in the Windows desktop app! I know it might be complicated but will be very much appreciated on my end and I'm sure many others. The app is so amazing already, I know you can pull it off. I believe in you! 🙏

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 5/24/2020 at 6:26 AM, jasveersin said:

Hey Evernote team, I've been using app for years now. Would be amazing to have this dark mode feature be fully integrated in the Windows desktop app! I know it might be complicated but will be very much appreciated on my end and I'm sure many others. The app is so amazing already, I know you can pull it off. I believe in you! 🙏

Seriously? Please read the previous 3 pages of debate about this...

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Seriously? Please read the previous 3 pages of debate about this...

He simply stated that he wanted it as well. It is something that needs to happen and is quite possible.

I mean this is a "Feature Request" forum and that is what you are supposed to do, to help prioritize requests.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Clintre said:

that is what you are supposed to do, to help prioritize requests

I'm not an Evernote employee. This is a Forum mainly supported by user volunteers, including me.  My comments,  relevant or otherwise, are strictly my own.

• Level 5*
On 6/6/2020 at 12:07 AM, ptaylor999 said:

Why are you guys holding out on Dark Mode for Windows? Is it really that difficult?

Merged with the existing l-o-n-g discussion on this...  please see comments above.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, scmgames2 said:

I dont like Onenote but this blaring white screen is ridiculous. Sucks cause i like the layout of evernote better

You're posting in an Evernote Windows thread. And - 

How to enable dark mode in Evernote

To enable the dark theme in Evernote on your iOS 12 device:

- Open Evernote.
- Tap the Account tab at the far right of the navigation toolbar.
- Find Dark Theme in the menu, then toggle the switch. It should be green when the dark theme is enabled.

Note: Toggle the dark theme setting off to disable it.

Yes this is VERY frustrating.  I found a workaround which is to run Bluestacks, an Android OS emulator for windows.  This is the only way I can think to do it currently, and obviously it's not as intuitive (and also doesn't allow for text encryption), but it sorta gets the job done. 

Annotation 2020-06-23 134953.jpg

Just wanted to add my vote for getting this feature into the windows client.  I just subscribed to premium and didn't even consider that this wouldn't be able to do dark mode or some kind of background adjustment to make daily use more tolerable for the eyes.  Like others it would seem, I am a bit disappointed and not sure it is feasible to use it for daily work.  Thank you for considering this request!

On 11/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, dconnet said:

For UWP (Windows Store) apps only. We're an old-style Win32 app (even the WinStore version of EN is still considered Win32).

Fam, Firefox is a Win32 app. When I switch my Windows theme to dark mode, it changes to the dark Firefox theme. So that doesn't really hold water.

You're not open source. No real reason for me to stick with Evernote over OneNote if some colors are too much to ask for - and it's clear you guys acknowledge the need for this feature, otherwise you would've told your users on every other platform to pack sand, the way you are to your Windows users. >:/

For the record, I fully agree that this feature should be implemented. Professional apps are dark, it'd be nice to have this.

Why are you guys holding out on Dark Mode for Windows? Is it really that difficult?

You are seriously the LAST app I have that does not have Dark Mode.

Time to move into the 21st century.

lol

There's one other holdout in my suite of software... Filezilla. Try as I might, no other FTP client comes close, and they apparently have NO intention of implementing a dark mode. -_-

On 7/25/2020 at 1:37 PM, apickle said:

So that doesn't really hold water.

Sure it does. Evernote uses lots of controls out of the Common Control DLL. Firefox doesn't. Some of them are not easy to tweak. (I know, I tried customizing the list control. I lost a lot of hair.)

• Haha 1

For the love of all things holy, we, the Windows using community who make up the majority of users, NEED dark mode before we go insane.

DEVS please do not ignore us.

Your product will become far more popular. Please.

Please.

• Level 5*
On 8/12/2020 at 1:23 AM, CrazyTown said:

For the love of all things holy, we, the Windows using community who make up the majority of users, NEED dark mode before we go insane.

DEVS please do not ignore us.

Your product will become far more popular. Please.

Please.

Hi.  I moved your post here,  since there are already 3 pages of discussion about this.

- Oh,  and there's more here too...  

Hey, Evernote, please pull finger out of the dark hole in the rear and add this !! How long do we have to ask ?! What are you doing all these years? I have not noticed any new feature, at least nothing that I would find useful, yet my eyes keep bleeding out looing at that whie window.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, voldemarz said:

Hey, Evernote, please pull finger out of the dark hole in the rear and add this !! How long do we have to ask ?! What are you doing all these years? I have not noticed any new feature, at least nothing that I would find useful, yet my eyes keep bleeding out looing at that whie window.

Hi.  Try reading the thread you're in?

Now that we have Dark Mode for Windows, does anyone know how to make the bar at the very top of the application also show as black instead of white? Not a big deal, just a bit OCD! Everything dark except the bar with the min, max, X  at the very top!

image.thumb.png.aa66dd2508c5d3e16815b0364a5731e2.png