QUESTION: Auto wrap text in table?

I created a 2-column table for translation purposes.

• Evernote display behavior is to display either R or L column only...
  • Scrolls other column out-of-view

What I would expect from a standard TABLE viewing is:

• Wrap text content of each column so both columns are displayed with equal size and text
  • Auto-wrapped so each column can be read simultaneously.

Is there a simple remedy for this issue?

THX.  ~ Alan

image.thumb.png.0b4516be946157ac5f37b684b4953e64.png

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

I created a 2-column table for translation purposes.

• Evernote display behavior is to display either R or L column only...
  • Scrolls other column out-of-view

What I would expect from a standard TABLE viewing is:

• Wrap text content of each column so both columns are displayed with equal size and text
  • Auto-wrapped so each column can be read simultaneously.

Is there a simple remedy for this issue?

THX.  ~ Alan

There is an option to match the note width.  The text should wrap after that.

ScreenClip.png.598f5ff2a9636dd77c7e0fffabbb0ec2.png

Otherwise the user can control the column width and display.  Adjust the width and the text will wrap.  If you like the set up you have in your screen shot then adjust the columns of the table therein.  If you want more width in the table columns then you might close the left panel (F10 toggles it), shrink the width of the note list and then adjust the columns in the table.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

All is good in EN... however the SHAREABLE LINK is not wrapping WSYWYG on online page.

Not sure what you mean by this.  Screen clip?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

Howdy, CalS:

Not wrapping using shareable LINK online.

Anotherwords, not WSYSWG. What I see in Win 10 Desktop EN... is not what is displayed online using LINK.

THX.  ~ Alan

That's getting me closer.  Are viewing with the browser version of EN online?  That's not so much a link as a different platform. 

Assuming browser my experience is that the sizing on one platform does not translate to another.  I created a dummy table with Windows desktop and clicked on Set to Note Width.  Here is a view of it and what it looks like in the browser.  The option to Set to Note Width exists in the browser as well.  May have to click it in both places.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.0eeab01c8f4f2d90fd6f9388b2b4d416.png

ScreenClip.png.4a282cf83e626b81fa5596747d85f3a8.pngScreenClip.png.d55e4240ce25397a43074322d510475e.png

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

Howdy, CalS:

> The option to Set to Note Width exists in the browser as well.  May have to click it in both places.

I did click on BOTH arrows... but still NO WRAPPING within online platform.

THX.  ~ Alan

Browser?

• Level 5*

Per the above it worked for me.  Just test again using new Edge Browser and EN web version 6.17.0 and the Set to note width option is there.  Same things with Firefox.  Are you using the new version for the browser?

• Level 5*

Yeah, that’s the desktop version.  I was asking what is the version of EN when you are using the browser.  6.17 is the new version.  5.something is the previous. 

• Level 5*

You said you could not get the span to note width to work in the browser, or I thought you did any way.  True?

If so, when using EN in the browser click on your avatar and you should see a version number, log out and a couple other things. 

Hi CalS:

I think there is a misunderstanding on my part.

I do not use the online EN... I use the desktop Win 10 EN version: 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954).

When I use the EN Shareable Link... the linked web page formatting is not WYSIWYG with the formatting desktop Win 10 EN version.

THX. ~ Alan

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:

Hi CalS:

I think there is a misunderstanding on my part.

I do not use the online EN... I use the desktop Win 10 EN version: 6.25.1.9091 (309091) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954).

When I use the EN Shareable Link... the linked web page formatting is not WYSIWYG with the formatting desktop Win 10 EN version.

THX. ~ Alan

Probably me missing it.  Where do you use the link?

• Level 5

This is how it looks on my iPad, opened by Safari after klicking on the link.

To me it looks pretty good. The text wraps perfectly at the border of the table. Could it be that in your picture above the end of the second column is simply hidden below the edge of the browser window ?

Remark: If I would do the edit, I would use a new row of the table for each paragraph. By doing so, text and translation will always start at the same height, no matter if the paragraph before ended off balance for the next to start with.

4C1D84B9-842E-4040-B1FA-4862B286DC78.thumb.png.e99bea9884aa5483ebe2bf8e6e309af6.png

• Level 5

Just opened your link, now in Safari on my Mac. Below the table area there are light grey bar elements. These are sliders.

If you move them, it will move the table in the window. The rest of the table will show. I attach a video that shows this movement.

A similar slider is under the larger table.

Conclusion: The issue is not the text wrap. It is the width of the table, that is larger than the window in which it is represented in the browser. By this, the text looks like being cut.

Remark: There is an ongoing discussion in the forum that EN wastes a lot of space in his browser representation of notes. There seems to be no option to tell the browser to make the margins smaller and enlarge the content area of the window.

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

Hi CalS:

This is the SHAREABLE LINK created by EN:

https://www.evernote.com/l/ANYXFOLNcNhIIJ_LbgINSkoHa5g3fLAK8rU/

Yeah I see the same thing when clicking the link in a browser.  Though everything is okay on my iPad after clicking the link.  Don't know what is used to display the note in a browser outside the EN web app.  It almost looks like a screen clip in that you can't edit the text.  Implication would be the display window isn't the same size as it is when in the EN app itself.  So no help here sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

With Safari it is editable, but the width of the table is obviously larger than the area used to display content.

We are used to „responsive“ design of web sites, where the site detects on which resolution the Browser is running, and auto-adapts to this pixel width. My impression is that EN (since the basic engine is pretty old) is set to a pretty low resolution, which leads to the very wide margins displayed on a modern monitor.

I am running a 32“ 4K display (for photo editing), and there is nearly more margin on each side than used space in the middle.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

Let us not be too pessimistic.

A bug would be a real malfunction - here everything works, it just works a little antiquated.

By the way: I spoofed on the amount of information my own browser communicated tothetze internet when calling a web site. There were 1.470 lines of text send out ! Among them is the information about your screen resolution.

By this information - the unique combination of properties of your computer plus installed apps and fonts work like a fingerprint - the guys out there can see who is watching what, even if you block cookies and tracker. So the comfort of reformatting the document to the screen comes with a downside of reduced privacy.

There are browsers and browser settings to reduce that sort of tracking - but this is another subject.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, ab1kenobee said:

This is 1 of many EN formatting bugs long not fixed.

To be clear different than the bugs reported re the editor and whatever HTML gets added to EN where EN should be able to exert more control.  And are supposed to be in their new versions.

This is unique in that appears, at least to me, to be an image display issue wherein the entire width of the note is not displayed.  Not saying there isn't a fix but hard to tell what width to display when the note looks different on my laptop, a monitor when my laptop is docked, my Surface Pro when I'm roaming about, or someone else's machine of which I know nothing.  🤷‍♂️

• Level 5
29 minutes ago, CalS said:

Not saying there isn't a fix but hard to tell what width to display when the note looks different on my laptop, a monitor when my laptop is docked, my Surface Pro when I'm roaming about, or someone else's machine of which I know nothing.  🤷‍♂️

This is why today people use a non-page-layout-layout-language like Markdown when they write stuff for the internet.

With markdown you tell the content management system how to deliver what - the final result is defined by the design properties of the website theme that is flexibly filled with content, based on the properties of the browser and device it is delivered to.

We have a larger thread in the forum about support for markdown by EN - this feature would allow in notes and in content taken from notes and send somewhere else to use this technology to deliver screen-wide, good looking pages to whatever device is used to browse EN notes.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

This is why today people use a non-page-layout-layout-language like Markdown when they write stuff for the internet.

With markdown you tell the content management system how to deliver what ...

How does that differ for html, they are both markup coding, telling the browser tool how to display content  
Evernote's note format (enml) is basically html code

The above issue is caused by Evernote's use of fixed width table columns   
% width would be a more flexible choice

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This is why today people use a non-page-layout-layout-language like Markdown when they write stuff for the internet.

With markdown you tell the content management system how to deliver what - the final result is defined by the design properties of the website theme that is flexibly filled with content, based on the properties of the browser and device it is delivered to.

We have a larger thread in the forum about support for markdown by EN - this feature would allow in notes and in content taken from notes and send somewhere else to use this technology to deliver screen-wide, good looking pages to whatever device is used to browse EN notes.

Got me on this one, not an expert in Markdown or HTML.  To me it seems to me internet content is at the mercy of the coder, stating the obvious I suppose.  A fait accompli for me.  Not going to wait for EN to fix it, not sure they can for that matter.  So I will workaround as need be.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@DTLow Yes, markdown combines well with HTML, it contains elements of HTML, but standing alone it is not sufficient to create a web page.

My understanding: With markdown you can for example create a blog post. You marker the main header, a subheader, some text, part of it in italic, another subheader, more text, with a bullet list and bold typeface.

All of this is encoded, and transferred to the content management system (like WordPress).

Now the Theme kicks in, translates the header code into a bold, large typeface, plus a distance to the next element. The subheader is translated into a smaller font, etc. 

If you use another theme, the same markdown text (content) will look different, because it is translated in another way, using other design rules.

The web page delivered to the browser will be a combination of content, markdown rules (containing information about what is what) and the design elements knowing of how to interpret what.

If the Theme is multi platform and device flexible, it will be able to show everything on a mobile phone as well as on a large desktop monitor - by just combining content with adapted delivery rules.

Example: On my personal web site I have a table 3x3 elements. This will show on a monitor. On a phone it will show all 9 Elements in a vertical Order, one under the other. None of this is programmed by me, I just created the input for the 9 elements.

EN in comparison creates a static HTML code when the note is created. This is where the engine behind EN has been left behind some years ago; when the industry switched from web pages to content management systems, EN management was probably busy designing socks.