Why should I use Evernote?

JackQAQ

I had looked up many tools like Notion/Roam Research
I'm a student, can i know what improvements  did Evernote done to compete with other apps and why should I use Evernote?

Thanks
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Since Evernote,  like most (I think) the of the other note-taking apps available,  has a free Basic version,  why don't you try it to see if it meets your needs?  If it's not suitable now,  then - if you're planning to use an app for study - you should use something else.  We've been told that Evernote are developing an updated and upgraded interface for their various different versions,  but they don't (usually) get into detail on what is in the pipeline,  and even that might get changed or delayed as time goes on.  Find something that works for you now - maybe look to change to something better once you have more experience. 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, JackQAQ said:
I had looked up many tools like Notion/Roam Research  ..  why should I use Evernote?

Do you need the features of tools like Notion/Rome Research?

Personally, my needs are a tool that stores and organizes my notes/documents    
The simple note editor is appreciated; including the enml/html format   
The Tag paradigm works for organization, as well as text search   
Offline data storage is great, with the cloud as backup   
I make use of the client software (Mac and iPad), with web as backup   
Also note links, both internal and external   
Finally, my data is not locked in - it's easily exported

20 hours ago, JackQAQ said:

I'll try evernote for a couple weeks first, and try if it is suitable for me or not, thanks! 

Let us know how you get on. Personally I find roam and notion far too complex and unproductive. I want to write not spend as long finding a structure to write. Evernote has some handy features and if you are gonna do some serious study etc the tags feature will be really handy. 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

I think Evernote, RoamResearch and Notion appeal to different styles of thinking and working. 

I use all three for different purposes but Evernote is and has been my solid foundation for almost 10 years.

Here are my opinionated views, if they may help:

1. Does the tool get out of the way? :
    • YES: Evernote and RoamResearch
      NO: Notion
  2. Does the tool allow bottom up thinking where i can create concepts and then carry out chunking and then allow me to create repetitive cards?
    • YES: RoamResearch and Evernote (via search and tagging)
    • NO: Notion
  3. Does the tool have an easy learning and mastering curve? 
    • YES: Evernote
    • NO: RoamResearch and Notion
  4. Does the tool provide co-editing and collaboration well with others? 
    • YES: RoamResearch and Notion
    • NO: Evernote (not to the par)
  5. Does the tool work across devices and form factors well?
    • No: Evernote
  6. Does the tool work offline and offers rock solid reliability of my data? 
    • NO: Notion (offline & syncing issues)
    • NOT SURE: RoamResearch (is a relatively new services so yet to see how it scales)
  7. Does the tool offer competitive pricing? 
    • YES: Notion and Evernote
    • NO: RoamResearch (15 USD per month, no tiers, no apps)
  8. Does the tool offer versatility across use cases like knowledge management, task management, records and filing cabinets, memories, etc
    • YES: Evernote and Notion
    • NO: RoamResearch (they are trying but its pretty ugly outside of knowledge management) 

Newer companies always have the ability to leapfrog due to a better technology stack to begin with. However, Evernote is promising their behind the scenes overhaul brings it back to the new age. Features will then be easier to release as this is a company which has stood on its own for quite a while. 

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...
On 7/31/2020 at 11:02 PM, WilliamL said:

Let us know how you get on. Personally I find roam and notion far too complex and unproductive. I want to write not spend as long finding a structure to write. Evernote has some handy features and if you are gonna do some serious study etc the tags feature will be really handy. 

True, If you want to be quick and just type and learn, Evernote is perfect. I tried notion, it can do a lot more things than Evernote, but it's slower, doesn't have an offline mode and it's too much. Evernote is good for learning, Notion is for the people which has to organise their entire life and have like 3 different jobs to do.

• 2 weeks later...

The app is roughly organized into notebooks and notes. Just like in real life. You create a notebook for a particular subject/topic, then fill that notebook with notes. Besides syncing across devices and operating systems, there are some features that make Evernote really stand out:

• The ability to share notes and whole notebooks with classmates, coworkers, family, etc.
  • The ability to take and attach pictures to a note right from within the app.
  • The ability to take and attach voice memos and audio to a note right from within the app.
  • The ability to attach files (spreadsheets, images, docs) to any note.
  • The ability to scan text in a photo using Optical Character Recognition technology.
  • The ability to set reminders for yourself for various tasks, goals, and projects from within the app.
  • The ability to create checkboxes that serve as virtual to-dos.
  • The ability to sync automatically between all devices, meaning you can access your notes even when offline. (This feature is somewhat limited in the free version.)
  • Best of all – it’s FREE! There’s a premium version that offers a few bonus features, but the freebie offers all of the above.

Evernote has been around for nearly five years now, and although the Ahom team has dabbled with the app before, Brett and I have finally become full-blown evangelists for it. Before we get too far in, we should say upfront that this is not a sponsored post; we have no affiliation with Evernote whatsoever. We just really love the app and we think that every man could benefit from using it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still new to this. I really am finding way to navigate the app. And I am conscious about the limitations of the basic version of the app. I hope someone in this community can enlighten me, what's so great about the app. 🤣

• Level 5*
On 3/3/2021 at 12:28 PM, Rhone said:

I hope someone in this community can enlighten me, what's so great about the app. 🤣

Kinda depends on what you want to do with it.  You can save anything,  find anything and organise... lots.  There are youtube videos with more specific information and we can answer specific questions... and https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us will show you some useful stuff too... 

• Level 5*
On 3/3/2021 at 4:28 AM, Rhone said:

I listed some links below    
It's subjective which features are important to you   
For me   
- storage of all my notes/documents, sync'd to the web server all my devices   
- organized for easy access and retrieval; search, notebook/tags   
- web access, public url for sharing notes   
- not locked in; easy to export notes   
- scripting; applescript on my Mac

https://evernote.com/compare-plans

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-Evernote-system-limits

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/3/2021 at 4:24 AM, Rhone said:

Do you have any tips / workflow suggestions?

I  merged your posts

Which platform/devices do you use?

My top tip  is use tags for organization, instead of notebooks      
Notebooks serve a different purpose, and have limitations

On 8/23/2020 at 5:58 AM, Atif said:

I think Evernote, RoamResearch and Notion appeal to different styles of thinking and working. 

I use all three for different purposes but Evernote is and has been my solid foundation for almost 10 years.

Here are my opinionated views, if they may help:

1. Does the tool get out of the way? :
    • YES: Evernote and RoamResearch
      NO: Notion
  2. Does the tool allow bottom up thinking where i can create concepts and then carry out chunking and then allow me to create repetitive cards?
    • YES: RoamResearch and Evernote (via search and tagging)
    • NO: Notion
  3. Does the tool have an easy learning and mastering curve? 
    • NO: RoamResearch and Notion
  4. Does the tool provide co-editing and collaboration well with others? 
    • NO: Evernote (not to the par)
  5. Does the tool work across devices and form factors well?
    • No: Evernote
  6. Does the tool work offline and offers rock solid reliability of my data? 
    • NO: Notion (offline & syncing issues)
    • NOT SURE: RoamResearch (is a relatively new services so yet to see how it scales)
  7. Does the tool offer competitive pricing? 
    • YES: Notion and Evernote
    • NO: RoamResearch (15 USD per month, no tiers, no apps)
  8. Does the tool offer versatility across use cases like knowledge management, task management, records and filing cabinets, memories, etc
    • YES: Evernote and Notion
    • NO: RoamResearch (they are trying but its pretty ugly outside of knowledge management) 

Newer companies always have the ability to leapfrog due to a better technology stack to begin with. However, Evernote is promising their behind the scenes overhaul brings it back to the new age. Features will then be easier to release as this is a company which has stood on its own for quite a while. 

Thanks for sharing this.  Sarkari Yojana

• Like 1

I've been using Evernote for school for a good amount of years now - starting in year 8/9 and now in my second year of university. Wrote a post on it on my site here: https://www.thenerdystudent.com/2017/03/evernote-for-students/

Evernote is a great way to take notes - makes it really easy to search through your notes, handwriting, and organise projects. Currently using it to research and plan for an essay - Evernote webclipper is great to keep sources.

image.png.01e5b7e17c8681afb953adc1899e2497.png

Really, really recommend using Evernote for school. It is by far the best way to take notes I have found - I upload all my handwritten notes to my account too.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings. Since Evernote, as most (I think) the of the other note-taking applications accessible, has a free Basic adaptation, why not attempt it to check whether it addresses your issues? In the event that it's not appropriate now, - in case you're intending to utilize an application for study - you should utilize something different. We've been informed that Evernote are building up a refreshed and overhauled interface for their different various renditions, however they don't (typically) dive into detail on what is in the pipeline, and surprisingly that may get changed or deferred over the long haul. Discover something that works for you now - perhaps hope to change to something better once you have more insight.

• Level 5*
On 3/26/2021 at 3:01 PM, fikenat said:

We've been informed that Evernote are building up a refreshed and overhauled interface for their different various renditions

Yeah that came out 6 months ago...  still updating...

On 3/6/2021 at 11:40 PM, Sarkari Yojana said:

Thanks for sharing this.  Sarkari Yojana

hope it helps you out. I have fully moved to RoamResearch (and coda.io for some scenarios) and am slowly migrating stuff out of evernote. Had a great decade with the elephant!

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote helps me a lot to organize and structure my work. Recent updates have allowed me to create records much faster and more conveniently, as well as sync them with my mobile devices. At this link, I recently read very high quality essays on life goals and some practical advice that relate to setting goals and their formal designation on paper or for example in Evernote.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Evernote is good for archiving info. Scanned docs etc. It is Quick and has a decent search function. The lack of nested notes and their poor pen support make it not good as a student planner. But it is great for legal stuff and pictures that need notes. Think insurance papers and car repair pictures.
Even after graduation, it still serves me as a recipe book, grocery list, inventory-keeper, storage space for forum/blog posts, goal planner,  I'm halfway through writing, noting serial numbers and the like across devices, even character sheets and world-notes for tabletop games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 5/13/2021 at 2:57 PM, hadllton said:

what about saving your password or same?

Evernote is really NOT the best place to save passwords or (while we're on the general topic) photographs.  There are far better and more feature-rich package out there which do a far better job.  I use Bitwarden for passwords,  and for random keywords.  It can generate random sequences like 9a^fEVFHs3h@ (not used) and remember which website I was logging into when that was created.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 7/27/2021 at 9:28 PM, dengamoyaodna said:

Hi guys!
I have just inctalled evernote trial version (free) and I like it. Cannot tell that it's much better than Tettra/Google Keep/Microsoft Onenote, but I kind of like it)) so I'm staying with you guys)

Very good idea so far. I also want to installed evernote trial version as well. How can I do that? 

• Level 5

Desktop client: Go to Evernote.com, download button is top right.

Install it, and open it. You get a login. Create a new user. Done.

Mobile: Download from AppStore / PlayStore, open the app, use the login to create your user. Done.

Web: Go to Evernote.com, use register to creates the user. Login, it takes you to your notes.

Just be aware the Free client is limited to 2 devices. The web client is counted as a device.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...