Evernote database us currently on D:drive, rotating media.  Performance awful.

Could move to C:drive - SSD. Not sure this would be much of a performance improvement.

Any information posted somewhere on how to do this??

thx,

• Level 5

Moving from a standard HDD to a SSD boosts performance a lot.

The usual way is to make sure your data is fully synced to the EN server. If you have any local notebooks, you have to make a backup yourself. Do this with one backup per notebook, because the information in which notebook a note is located will be lost.

Then uninstall EN from your PC, maybe followed by restarting it. Go to the EN website and reinstall. Usually it will try to install on your C-drive. After installation, log into your EN account. It will then start to download all your notes from the EN server. This may take a while, depending on your internet connection.

If you have exported local notebooks, you have to import them yourself. With one backup file per notebook, you can select the notebook.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, markeh said:

Evernote database us currently on D:drive, rotating media.  Performance awful.

Could move to C:drive - SSD. Not sure this would be much of a performance improvement.

Any information posted somewhere on how to do this??

thx,

If you go to Tools - Options - General and hover over the Change: box beneath the current location of your files you will see a message on how to do this.  I would make a copy of your EXB, to desktop perhaps, before executing.  And you should see an improvement if not significant improvement after the move.

Image.png.43e43c810543221d238c49c1d0b351e7.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

To really boost performance on Windows. enable the Sync on Demand feature.

image.png.8a003e0650e5160a6fdc992ad3200b38.png

It will remove the note contents from your local database until you click on it. You can still search, and everything remains in the cloud. I keep the last 30 days of notes I've used on my PC, but other than that, I have over 20,000 notes most of which I do not use regularly, so my 8-9GB of data is using less than 500MB right now, and that is a huge performance boost because the SQL Lite or MYSql or whatever database EN uses is not efficient at all, especially when it does a cleaning operation, which you notice when you are doing not much at all and your HD goes nuts and Evernote stops working or gets jerky.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

@EdH brings up some good points re ODS.  I would try it pure SSD first as there are some downsides to ODS.  Searches are more like web searches as the action happens at EN's servers.  Last I heard merging notes can lose note content if not all the notes are local.  Can't work without an internet connection.  But these tradeoffs may be well worth it if you don't get the response time that you need. 

I switched to SSD many years ago and have had great response time since, virtually instantaneous searches.  And I don't use ODS.  MY 27GB data base resides in its entirety on my c-drive.  But not everyone gets the same results.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CalS said:

If you go to Tools - Options - General and hover over the Change: box beneath the current location of your files you will see a message on how to do this.  I would make a copy of your EXB, to desktop perhaps, before executing.  And you should see an improvement if not significant improvement after the move.

Image.png.43e43c810543221d238c49c1d0b351e7.png

The message does not explicitly say the date will be moved for you. Is this what happens??

thx,

1 hour ago, EdH said:

To really boost performance on Windows. enable the Sync on Demand feature.

image.png.8a003e0650e5160a6fdc992ad3200b38.png

It will remove the note contents from your local database until you click on it. You can still search, and everything remains in the cloud. I keep the last 30 days of notes I've used on my PC, but other than that, I have over 20,000 notes most of which I do not use regularly, so my 8-9GB of data is using less than 500MB right now, and that is a huge performance boost because the SQL Lite or MYSql or whatever database EN uses is not efficient at all, especially when it does a cleaning operation, which you notice when you are doing not much at all and your HD goes nuts and Evernote stops working or gets jerky.

Mine was already set that way.

But you raise an interesting idea. None of the Notebooks on my PC are set to be stored locally. Nor do I specifically say keep in Evernote's cloud.

I see an option "Purge rarely used note content" - not currently checked. Is that one of your suggestions??

And unlike my IOS systems, I don't see a way to keep notes downloaded - so I guess they all are kept local unless purged (as above)???

If there is one thing Evernote needs is lots more documentation....

thnx,

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There is enough information - just read through the support Pages on the EN website.

All of your notebooks are in your local EN desktop data base, this is standard for all desktop clients. It stays synced to the master file on the EN server.

A „local“ Notebook means a notebook that exists ONLY on your local disk, not synced to the server. This means as well that there is no backup for these notes on the server. And it will not sync to other devices.

This feature is meant to save personal information you do not want to send to any cloud server.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, markeh said:

The message does not explicitly say the date will be moved for you. Is this what happens??

thx,

This is where EN will subsequently look for the data base files, so yes the data will be moved.  But as I said in the first post, make a backup of your EXB file beforehand just in case.  Belts and suspenders.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, markeh said:

None of the Notebooks on my PC are set to be stored locally. Nor do I specifically say keep in Evernote's cloud.

Not quite.  Any notebook you create will by default be kept (synced) in the cloud, referred to as a synced notebook.  Any notebook you designate as a local notebook will not be kept (synced) in the cloud.  All notebooks are stored on a local drive in the EXB file though with ODS only recently used notes will be stored in there entirety for synced notebooks.

1 hour ago, markeh said:

I see an option "Purge rarely used note content" - not currently checked. Is that one of your suggestions??

In his post Ed says "I keep the last 30 days of notes I've used on my PC"

1 hour ago, markeh said:

And unlike my IOS systems, I don't see a way to keep notes downloaded

Don't use ODS.  It is not selective.

• Level 5*

Yes, you should enable the "purge rarely viewed content." 

To @CalS's point though, unlike iOS, you cannot tell the Windows client to always keep certain data on your PC. You could set a higher number of days to keep data. 60, 90, whatever, but then your database will grow.

I've found I don't care. My laptop is pretty much always connected so I have mine set for 15 days. Searching still works as the search is done via the cloud.

But if it is critical that certain notes are always on your machine, this is not a good feature to use. But if you turn it on and let it work, it will make your PC and Evernote client much more responsive if you have a lot of data and notes.

I have moved the data base the my C drive, which a SSD. Evernote itself is installed on my F drive, which is a normal rotating disc. 

I also turned on regular 10 minute syncs. Before only on demand sync.

The combination is made a large difference - performance is now very good.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Some files were not automatically moved - LocalStorage, and Logs. Evernote gets upset when they aren't found, so I've just left them on the F drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, markeh said:

I have moved the data base the my C drive, which a SSD. Evernote itself is installed on my F drive, which is a normal rotating disc. 

I also turned on regular 10 minute syncs. Before only on demand sync.

The combination is made a large difference - performance is now very good.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.

Some files were not automatically moved - LocalStorage, and Logs. Evernote gets upset when they aren't found, so I've just left them on the F drive.

Great.  Glad you got it sorted.