Is it possible to record 2 audio notes in the same "NOTE"?

Hi, I'm a songwriter who uses my android phone to capture song ideas using the audio note (voice memo) feature alot. However, I would like to be able to add another audio recording to the SAME note as it pertains to the same song. Is it not possible to capture more than one voice recording to the same note?  If so, how do you do it?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Easiest way to find out is to try - the audio is added to your note as an attachment file,  so I see no reason why you could not add as many as you like. 

That said,  you'll get an audio file in whatever arcane format your Android supports - if you need those files to be portable and shareable,  you might be better off with one of the many sound apps for Android that record to MP3 or WAV.  Recording and playback will also have pause and speed options in a dedicated app that Evernote doesn't currently have. 

You could still save the files in Evernote as attachments (subject to an overall 25MB note size limit,  and your 60MB monthly upload limit)

Thank you!  I had failed to notice the little microphone icon next to the paperclip icon for attaching/creating additional clips. This is AMAZING.

Yeah, Android captures them as .amr files - ugh... wish we could set this preference somewhere to mp3.  AMR files still play back on my Windows computer but why complicate things when there's already a popular compressed audio format out there. Can't Evernote simply implement the option to save as mp3?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, metrosuperstar said:

Can't Evernote simply implement the option to save as mp3?

Pure guess on my part,  but it's probably to conserve the size of the app - to be sure that an MP3 recording would be available everywhere,  they'd have to build an MP3 codec able to record and play audio in iOS/ Mac/ Android/ Windows into the installation. 

Instead, by using whatever sound recording feature is present on the device,  they save a lot of work - and a lot of bulk which can be important on mobile devices.  Also,  that format will save big files in a small space - which is why Androids use it.

...Plus, there are a zillion other apps out there to record audio to other formats if .AMR doesn't work for you. 

Thanks Gazumped!  One more question before I closet this thread, while I've got you here...

There is a red dot next to my All Notes but when I expand I don't see anything telling me what action needs to be taken... I'm guessing the red dot isn't usually there. Can you help?

Also, I don't know if this is related but it seems that whenever I take a screenshot on my phone (though I think only when Evernote is also open), I get a notification that I have a photo ready to review or that it is looking for captured docs.  Not sure if this is related to the red dot but I would like to turn that feature off if possible.

tempFileForShare_20200722-090948.jpg

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, metrosuperstar said:

There is a red dot next to my All Notes but when I expand I don't see anything telling me what action needs to be taken... I'm guessing the red dot isn't usually there. Can you help?

Also, I don't know if this is related but it seems that whenever I take a screenshot on my phone (though I think only when Evernote is also open), I get a notification that I have a photo ready to review or that it is looking for captured docs.  Not sure if this is related to the red dot but I would like to turn that feature off if possible.

Hmmn.  Not sure about the red dot - it should be telling you something needs attention: a reminder or a notification of some sort,  but I don't know whether a specific feature would generate that,  or if it's a generic alert.  Maybe someone else can chip in on that.

Evernote can be set up to check images on the device for possible OCR text.  If you look at Settings (in the app) and Notifications (which might also give you a clue about the red dot...) there's an option "collect notifications"- just untick that for a little peace and quiet.

Good Luck!

• Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...
On 7/22/2020 at 1:24 PM, metrosuperstar said:

Hi, I'm a songwriter who uses my android phone to capture song ideas using the audio note (voice memo) feature alot. However, I would like to be able to add another audio recording to the SAME note as it pertains to the same song. Is it not possible to capture more than one voice recording to the same note?  If so, how do you do it?

you can add as many voice notes as you want. I am also a songwriter and do this all the time. The big issue now is evernote have made amr voice notes no longer compatible on ios which means voice notes recorded on android won't play here anymore. YThey need to fix this

• Like 1
On 7/22/2020 at 4:29 PM, gazumped said:

Pure guess on my part,  but it's probably to conserve the size of the app - to be sure that an MP3 recording would be available everywhere,  they'd have to build an MP3 codec able to record and play audio in iOS/ Mac/ Android/ Windows into the installation. 

Instead, by using whatever sound recording feature is present on the device,  they save a lot of work - and a lot of bulk which can be important on mobile devices.  Also,  that format will save big files in a small space - which is why Androids use it.

...Plus, there are a zillion other apps out there to record audio to other formats if .AMR doesn't work for you. 

ios new version backwards step - amr no longer plays back which is infuriating as I record voice notes on my android phone but can no longer play them back on ios on ipad... 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Does the current iPad OS play AMR files?  Evernote uses the installed audio player for playback. 

If iPad OS does play AMR files,  better to post this comment in the Evernote for iOS release thread where the devs will see it.

ios Version DID play amr. Until the update. Now it doesn't. Which is a huge inconvenience. I don't want to have to think of Evernote as ios versions and android versions. It's supposed to sync across all devices. 

But thank you for the tip. 

I will follow up in the ios chat. 

• Like 1