Viewing attachments to notes in Windows client

Hello, I am using the Evernote Windows client and I have some questions concerning attachments to notes:

1. Attachments to a note can appear either 'inline' or as an 'attached file icon' - I can't find how to control which one Evernote will initially choose as the note is first captured or the attachment is subsequently attached - can anyone tell me how to do that (regardless of what type of file the attachment it is - PDF, MS Word document, etc.)?
  2. Once a note has an attachment, in only some cases (but not always), I can swap between viewing it 'inline' or as an 'attached file icon' by right clicking on it to get a context menu which provides an option to change that view - only sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes the option to change is 'greyed out' (see example attached) - how can I change the view in those circumstances? 
  3. Where an attachment contains an image which itself contains text, Evernote analyses that text and makes it searchable (a truly brilliant feature).  Is there any way that I can then copy and paste that analysed text as text?

Thanks very much if you can help me - best regards - and stay safe from CV-19

John

image.png

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Limehouse said:
  • Attachments to a note can appear either 'inline' or as an 'attached file icon' - I can't find how to control which one Evernote will initially choose as the note is first captured or the attachment is subsequently attached - can anyone tell me how to do that (regardless of what type of file the attachment it is - PDF, MS Word document, etc.)?
  • Once a note has an attachment, in only some cases (but not always), I can swap between viewing it 'inline' or as an 'attached file icon' by right clicking on it to get a context menu which provides an option to change that view - only sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes the option to change is 'greyed out' (see example attached) - how can I change the view in those circumstances? 
  • Where an attachment contains an image which itself contains text, Evernote analyses that text and makes it searchable (a truly brilliant feature).  Is there any way that I can then copy and paste that analysed text as text?

Hi.  

• Most images (JPG, PNG) will by default appear inline - sometimes useful to 'see' a PDF on a mobile (see later).  There's an option to choose otherwise*.
  • In Windows Desktop (it's sometimes different for Macs) PDF files can appear inline or as attachments*. 
  • On the web and mobile versions images still default to inline but for reasons of speed, storage and bandwidth all other files will be shown as attachments. Download to the device to view.
  • Where there's an option* right clicking the inline file or the attachment will allow you to choose to hide or show the file.  Otherwise, click the icon to open the file if the device has the software to do so.  There's (currently) no other way to view that file - see the first point above and think 'screenshot',  or copy and paste the content as text.
  • There's no (current) way either to access the OCR text of an image - Google Docs will do that for you I believe,  but Evernote builds a logic tree of possible meanings for the search index.  "House" could also be horse or hearse so multiple meanings are stored and the output is not a narrative.  PDF files are converted to text - there used to be an option to download that file separately from the original.  I'm not sure on that because I always save searchable PDF files which are - by definition - already OCR'd and saved as text.

* Check Tools > Options > Note to set a default.  Other file types will appear as attachments.

- All points subject to change with any new versions...

• Like 1

Hi there "gazumped" - thank you very much for taking the time to make that reply - useful to know - it was about what I had expected - but not for what I was hoping (but that's definitely not your fault) - thanks again.

John

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Limehouse said:

Where an attachment contains an image which itself contains text, Evernote analyses that text and makes it searchable (a truly brilliant feature).  Is there any way that I can then copy and paste that analysed text as text?

Further to @gazumped's post, there's documentation at https://evernote.com/blog/how-evernotes-image-recognition-works/

Here's a sample .en-reco from a screenshot of your post 1523929721_ScreenShot2020-07-20at8_17_15AM.png.8a772b284d7f7222b86d9c8e992962aa.png

I have an external OCR app (PDF OCR X) that delivers a text file
Here's a sample of the extracted text from the same screenshot
1581077952_ScreenShot2020-07-20at8_23_46AM.png.2b3f34f00c48bb328c97b46ecfc2bbe6.png

• Like 1

Hi there DTLow,

Thank you very much for the pointer to the blog article - very interesting indeed.  I also like the look of 'PDF OCR X' but was actually looking to see if there was any way of accessing text within images without having to leave Evernote.  Tell me, when you say "I have an external OCR app" does this mean that you own 'PDF OCR X' or that you have a copy of it which you use?

I also use an external OCR app called "FreeOCR" (see this page http://www.paperfile.net/index.html) which (as the name implies) is free - however, if 'PDF OCR X' has advantages over it, then I would not object to paying a fee to gain some advantages - do you think that there are any?

Thank you for taking the time to respond - best regards - John

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Limehouse said:

Tell me, when you say "I have an external OCR app" does this mean that you own 'PDF OCR X' or that you have a copy of it which you use?

I purchased the right to use the software, and have a copy installed on my Mac

I'm not a Windows use and can't test FreeOCR   
Reading the specs, it looks useful for generating a text file    
PDF OCR X provides an additional output option, a searchable PDF

• Level 5*

I am a Windows user,  but I use Adobe OCR too - came with the scanner.  I have used a free app: NAPS2 (as in: "Not Another PDF Scanner") which does OCR,  though I can't testify as to its accuracy.  It is pretty magic though, if a sheet-fed scanner gets upset and scans out of order,  or you need to rescan part of a file.  NAPS will let you import the PDF(s) and then re-arrange pages by drag and drop.  You re-save the whole thing as a new file.  https://www.naps2.com/