Linked @Mentions and #Hashtags in Note Title and Body

Kathryn Gonzales

Idea

Feature Request

I would find it incredibly useful to my workflow if I were able to:

• Use an @Mention in my note titles and note bodies for a person, group of people, or company to one-click-search all notes with that @Mention.
  • Use a #Hashtag in my note titles and note bodies for a project, topic, or other common phrase to one-click-search all notes with that #Hashtag.

Additionally, it would be helpful if:

• Evernote automatically pulled these @Mentions and #Hashtags into the already-existing tags manager.
  • Evernote used the @Mentions and #Hashtags in the tags manager to auto-suggest/auto-complete tags to minimize "duplicate" tags via typos.

Example Use Case (Image Attached)

I had a meeting today with @AveryWise about project #OnlineEducation that I work on with a team of three other people.

Good insights and information relevant to the project were shared in the meeting that I want to bring up with the team the next time we meet, which is late next week.

When I meet with the #OnlineEducation team, I pull up all my notes about the project, but because I met with @AveryWise about it (who is not part of the team) I forget to surface that information again for sharing with the team.

Can this be achieved through some other pre-existing functionality? Yes and no.

I am aware that the same functionality could be achieved with the built-in tagging system, which I use for this purpose.

The drawback of the built-in tagging system is that it does not work in-line and through stream-of-consciousness.

Currently, if I want to add a tag, I have to break my note taking stride to add the tag and then resume note taking.

Couldn't you just add the tags when you're done taking notes?

Yes. But sometimes I rush off to another meeting, don't revisit the note fast enough for processing, or a number of other reasons that leave the note untagged.

Hence, why I'm suggesting in-line @Mentions and #Hashtags.

Couldn't you just @Mention and #Hashtag in your notes and search for these/create saved searches for these?

Yes. In fact, I've already done this and it works relatively well. However, it doesn't address two key issues:

1. It doesn't allow for one-click search and discovery within a note.
  2. Without the assistance of an auto-suggest/auto-complete feature, I am prone to mistyping an @Mention or #Hashtag, making those searches less effective.

Couldn't you just type your @Mentions and #Hashtags right in the first place, all the time, every time?

Look, I wish I was perfect, but I'm not. Sometimes it's nice to have the computer help me out on days when my brain and/or fingers don't want to cooperate.

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 10.54.57 PM.png

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, Kathryn Gonzales said:

I would find it incredibly useful to my workflow if I were able to:

• Use an @Mention in my note titles and note bodies for a person, group of people, or company to one-click-search all notes with that @Mention.
  • Use a #Hashtag in my note titles and note bodies for a project, topic, or other common phrase to one-click-search all notes with that #Hashtag.

There is a roadblock to your @Mentions and #Hashtags    
Evernote text search indexing drops special characters (except for _)      
i.e. the @ and # symbols are dropped

>>Evernote automatically pulled these @Mentions and #Hashtags into the already-existing tags manager.

I use scripting on my Mac (Applescript) to insert keywords into note titles and note bodies    
The keyword list is retrieved from the Tags feature;

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There is a roadblock to your @Mentions and #Hashtags    
Evernote search indexing drops special characters (except for _)      
i.e. the @ and # symbols are dropped

Then I revise my feature request to include a request that Evernote search indexing not drop special characters. 🙃

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use scripting on my Mac (Applescript) to insert keywords into note titles and note bodies    
The keyword list is retrieved from the Tags feature;

I'd explored scripting before. Wouldn't be opposed to it.

Primary drawback to this approach in my use-case is that I take 80% of my notes on my iPad.

• Level 5*

I doubt you are going to get what you want out of EN any time soon so a couple of thoughts.

1. Add _FixThis or whatever to these notes so you can find them later to tag with the appropriate mentions and projects.
  2. You could use _ for mentions and p_ for projects, so _AveryWise and p_OnLineEducation.  Not pretty but might get the job done in the meantime.  Doesn't help with typos though, go to option 1.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, Kathryn Gonzales said:

Then I revise my feature request to include a request that Evernote search indexing not drop special characters. 🙃

There's a request posted at the link below   
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion