Evernote is not for most of us... Who agrees?

On another ever persistent note, I honestly dont like Evernote much these days.  Been a user since about 2014 and it has progressively gotten worse and more convoluted with every update.  The more Evernote grows the less I have use for all the functions it claims to offer.  Which is why I stopped paying for premium service.  If your basic service cant provide for me, there is no need for the premium.  Evernote is becoming a task/note app for a very specific type of working individual and is becoming less geared towards the general public.  Thus why I have been looking for a lighter more simple direct note taking app that is geared towards someone who isn't a tech industry giant or a young upstart with a disposable income and 5 different devices.

Evernote needs to decide who their prime demographic is and be clear about it so that they don't waste the time of the rest of us peons in the world.  The more features you create, the more they align with one specific type of demographic.  Honestly, Evernote has probably already decided in a marketing board meeting years ago who their prime demographic is and those who aren't that, they ignore but pretend to pacify them just enough so they dont leave Evernote.  All the while knowing they really dont want them as customers but as business ethics goes, would never say state that out right.

Side Note: The ability to remove all hyperlinks doesn't work.  i want to be disable all hyperlinks in a note without reformatting everything I have already typed.   I dont want a hyperlink for the majority of websites I am typing in Evernote. I am creating notes and lists for myself and I am accidentally always hitting the hyperlinks thus opening pages to websites because of my finger size to phone button size and if not selected properly while trying to copy a website, the majority of the time, I end up opening the website when I am just trying to highlight it to copy it to a different part of the note.  I dont wanna open or see. the site.  When I am entering 20 to 30 different websites into notes a day and moving them around in different places in the note while on my T Mobile Galaxy S9,  I dont wanna open those pages.  My alternative is to individually click on each website that I have typed or copied and then remove hyperlink. Again doing this for 20+ sites in one single note causes great stress. It also takes up time and memory and slows my progress and effectiveness of what I was trying to accomplish with Evernote.

How many of you think there are more features that you don't use in Evernote vs the features that you do?  I also would bet that as time goes on, those features are refined and narrowed down to fit one or a very small subset of consumers, albeit a subset that has a lot of money or else why would they do it?  Cause its all about money right?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, jacob_solbux said:

Evernote is not for most of us

Evernote "is" for many of us (millions?)

I use the Evernote service to keep my notes stored/organized    
and sync'd to my devices and the web      
I have over 13k notes.   

>>Evernote is becoming a task/note app

I see Evernote as a note storage/organization service
Not sure where you see Evernote as a "task" app

>Which is why I stopped paying for premium service.

I pay to get access to the premium features which includes note size and upload limit   
The device limit will be important if/when I get additional devices

>>there are more features that you don't use in Evernote vs the features that you do

I can live with that, as long as Evernote delivers the features I need

>>All the while knowing they really dont want them as customers but as business ethics goes, would never say state that out right.

Like non-paying users 🙂

>>Side Note: The ability to remove all hyperlinks ...   

Focussing on a demographic

1 hour ago, jacob_solbux said:

How many of you think there are more features that you don't use in Evernote vs the features that you do?  I also would bet that as time goes on, those features are refined and narrowed down to fit one or a very small subset of consumers, albeit a subset that has a lot of money or else why would they do it?  Cause its all about money right?

I will agree to disagree. To me Evernote is not a task/note app, its a framework. A framework you build your style into for your own purpose. I use it for information storage and retrieval mostly, but very little workflow, except for some projects for myself. Task management is better managed in my Microsoft Todo app. Your argument can be applied to any of the product companies out there competing against Evernote. Each is adding functions and features, risking to be what I call the kitchen sink. Trying to be all things to all people at once because a few people shouted louder than the others. 

But you must do what is best for you. Find the app that fits your needs, and style. You don't sound like anything is holding you on with Evernote. So why argue to those who have found Evernote fits them?

"The needs of the many, out way the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I'm a notorious Evernote Acolyte (in the non-religious sense) so of course I'm going to disagree with the OP.  On the single point of Evernote has lots of features you don't use - have you checked out any other software recently?  Web browsers have more features than I can use these days! 

As long as it works,  I don't care what's hidden under the hood;  and Evernote works very nicely for me thankyouverymuch.  Mostly.  Given that the last quoted user count was in the hundreds of millions,  it seems to be OK for quite a few others too.

It's also OK if you no longer feel that it works for you - go try out some of the options (if you didn't already).  If you find a better option,  then go for it!  The app market is exactly like any other.  You may have a preference for diesel over petrol,  trucks over cars... find a product you like and stick with it.

• Level 5

@jacob_solbux, I hope you'll find another program that works better for your specific purposes than Evernote. Here and in your similar post in another thread, you complain about one particular feature that most people, I expect, find very useful (I know I do), the automatic formatting of hyperlinks. Evernote did not invent this. MS Word does it, even Wordpad does it. One program that doesn't do it (at least in Windows 7) is Notepad. So try this: create a note in Notepad, put in all the URLs you want, arrange them as you wish, then copy all that into an Evernote note (to use for whatever purposes Evernote does work for you). If you select all the text in Notepad, Ctrl+Alt+Shift+A should automatically copy it into a new Evernote note. The URLs will remain unformatted, unless you edit them.

I think @charlieedstrom got it right: Evernote is a rich tool that allows users to select from among its many functions to create the working environment that they like. I'm happy that URLs get converted to links. I benefit from creating notes in one environment that I can edit and merge, etc., in another. I work alone, so I don't use Work Chat or other collaborative features; I rarely even share a note. And so what? Others benefit from those tools, and their presence doesn't slow me down. If you can find an app that has the features you like about Evernote (there must be some, or you wouldn't have been using it for 6 years) but doesn't automatically convert URLs to hyperlinks, go with that. But why suppose that something that annoys you must be a problem for "most of us"?