Don't switch away from the current view when I create a new notebook

gazumped

Idea

• Level 5*

I'm currently engaged (Windows desktop) in setting up notebooks in a stack,  basically going through my default notebook,  identifying notes that have a common factor,  then creating a notebook into which to move the notes.  Something along the lines of 'zero inbox' I'm looking to have a logical place for every note I have.

I find a note that has a factor I recognise has occurred several times - a name,  an account number,  an email address and do a search to find out how many notes I have which include that term.

If I have more than a few I'll create a new notebook with that term as the notebook name.

I'm sitting there with 100 or so (for example) notes listed,  and I right-click the Stack name to create my new notebook.  If that  name has already been used (it happens) I get told and I can move my selected notes into the correct notebook.

If my new notebook is created,  the focus immediately switches to the new,  empty notebook.  Then I back-arrow to my previous display and Move the notes across.  Or click and drag... etc etc...

Now that is only one extra keystroke,  but after doing it a 100 or so times,  it is getting frustrating...

Please don't switch away from the current view when I create a new notebook.

All the other ways I tried to create a new notebook - searching in the Notebook drop-down of a single note,  selecting several notes and typing the notebook name into the Move dialogue - all just get me a blank look from the app.  Why is there no helpful dialogue - "<my new notebook name> not found - retype or create new?"

Please add a "create new?" option to other menus.

I appreciate we're currently waiting nervously for a big relaunch which will 'harmonise' various UI's,  so maybe this is already in train... but it would definitely be a much faster process to refile notes if creating a new notebook took a little less time.

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'm currently engaged (Windows desktop) in setting up notebooks in a stack,  basically going through my default notebook,  identifying notes that have a common factor,  then creating a notebook into which to move the notes.  Something along the lines of 'zero inbox' I'm looking to have a logical place for every note I have.

I find a note that has a factor I recognise has occurred several times - a name,  an account number,  an email address and do a search to find out how many notes I have which include that term.

If I have more than a few I'll create a new notebook with that term as the notebook name.

I'm sitting there with 100 or so (for example) notes listed,  and I right-click the Stack name to create my new notebook.  If that  name has already been used (it happens) I get told and I can move my selected notes into the correct notebook.

If my new notebook is created,  the focus immediately switches to the new,  empty notebook.  Then I back-arrow to my previous display and Move the notes across.  Or click and drag... etc etc...

Now that is only one extra keystroke,  but after doing it a 100 or so times,  it is getting frustrating...

Please don't switch away from the current view when I create a new notebook.

All the other ways I tried to create a new notebook - searching in the Notebook drop-down of a single note,  selecting several notes and typing the notebook name into the Move dialogue - all just get me a blank look from the app.  Why is there no helpful dialogue - "<my new notebook name> not found - retype or create new?"

Please add a "create new?" option to other menus.

I appreciate we're currently waiting nervously for a big relaunch which will 'harmonise' various UI's,  so maybe this is already in train... but it would definitely be a much faster process to refile notes if creating a new notebook took a little less time.

See what happens when you go away from tags...  :P

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Fair point,  but its still a glitchy process and could be a lot smoother!  

Agreed.  Just havin' a bit a fun.  Horses for courses as always.  :)