Add a note to shortcuts from the note itself

JKM007

Idea

I am continually frustrated by having to exit a note, especially a new one that I have just created, to be able to add it to the list of shortcuts. For a new note, this procedure currently requires the following steps:

• Going to the list of "All Notes"
  • Arranging that list, if need by, by reverse order of creation
  • Go to the top of that list to find the new note you've just created
  • Right-click on the note
  • Select "Add to Shortcuts"

For an existing note, the process is more involved because you have to search for the note before adding it to shortcuts.

All this would be nicely solved by having "Add to Shortcuts" in one of the drop-down menus (probably the "Note" one) that is accessible from the note itself.

Thank you for considering adding this very helpful feature. 

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Why,  exactly,  would you need to add a note that you just created to a list of shortcuts?  Sort your All Notes list by 'created date' and you immediately have a list of the last 20 or so notes you have created (or that have been created with or without your intervention) without any problem at all...???

A good question gazumped. I suppose this illustrates that we use Evernote in quite different ways.

I would find this useful for two reasons: (1) I am one of those people who can on occasion generate a lot of notes--as many as 50 or 100--in a day's time. So if there's a note I wish to have immediate and regular access to, it is handy to have it available via a shortcut, especially when I am working on devices other than my PC; (2) I sometimes write a project note, outlining information that I need access to for some days or weeks, which again means that a shortcut provides valuable access.

The commonality between those two reasons is that a shortcut is more durable than finding it at the top of a "by creation date" list.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, JKM007 said:

So if there's a note I wish to have immediate and regular access to, it is handy to have it available via a shortcut

fwiw  I have a permanent shortcut to tag !HotNotes

For quick access to notes, I assign this tag

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Another workaround would be to move the notes to a Shortcuts notebook, kind of a clearing house notebook.  Or just use the notebook depending on how long the shortcut "lives".

Seems like the only way to add a note to the shortcuts bar is from the main EN window. Am I missing something? 

There are many occasions when I have opened a note, either going to a notebook or through a search, but have since then moved away from that view during the course of the day. So, I have the note open, but I can't seem to drag it to the shortcuts bar. There is no option inside the note to add it to my list of shortcuts.