cannot login using firefox 78.0.1 (latest)

Hi, I don't know if it's related to an update of either firefox or web evernote but at the moment I cannot login;

after I've typed my username and pressed Continue button I'm redirected to a white page having the url 'https://www.evernote.com/Login.action', if I enable the developer toolbar of firefox all works right, when I press the Continue button the password text box appears and the button's text change to Sign In so I can correctly login.

Tell me if I can help you with some additional info

thanks

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, livioc said:

Tell me if I can help you with some additional info

Hi. 

I think you'll find that if you leave the white page long enough,  Evernote will load.  The new beta version seems to be v-e-r-y  s-l-o-w to load on some systems.  You can switch to another browser,  change the web version you use back to the 'old' UI and then go back to Firefox if you wish - otherwise patience (as they say) is a virtue - and there is a 'feedback' button on the new web page when you get to it!

(This is a -mainly- user-supported Forum. Although Evernote staffers do read the posts here, and there are Admins to keep everyone in line,  there's no guarantee when that will be. If you need help on a technical issue,  we can offer advice from our collective experience.  Evernote support is available (for subscribers) via the website link, and (for everyone) on Twitter @EvernoteHelps or via their Facebook community.)

Hi, the page is blank forever also because clicking on the 'Continue' button is only going to show the password field using some javascript after an ajax request to check the sign-in settings of the users, it doesn't load a new page. Anyhow thanks for your suggested workarounds, at the moment I'm just enabling the developer toolbar of firefox so the problem disappears (note: the login page loading is sudden as before I have had this problem)

• Like 1

Hi all,

I've updated FF to 78.0.2 but I continue to have the issue so I did some additional investigations

The problem seems related to the cache, with the firefox developer toolbar enable it worked because it had set the 'disable cache' option, if I turn off that settings it doesn't work, with a fast check of the http requests the problem seems related to an ajax POST to https://www.evernote.com/Login.action, with the cache disabled the request has the headers

{
              "name": "Pragma",
              "value": "no-cache"
            },
            {
              "name": "Cache-Control",
              "value": "no-cache"
            }

and all works smoothly (response 200 OK), without those headers the response it's the error 418 (I don't ever know it exists :) ) so it seems a race  condition that generates a bug on the evernote server

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 7/16/2020 at 3:36 AM, sundrop said:

I am having the same issue, and I can't get any of the workarounds to work. Any other advice?

Hi.  If all else has failed,  you may have to try a different browser temporarily - but raise this with Support... and please post anything useful back here.

I am having the same issue (Login.action gives a 418) with Firefox 78.0.2. Chrome (Version 84.0.4147.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)) works fine.

If I disable the cache using the web dev tools then I can login fine. (Go into the menu Web Developer/Network) and at the top right of the panel there is a "Disable Cache" checkbox.

Once I've logged in, I can switch the cache back on and I can still use Evernote.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same issue, blank screen after login page. Windows 10, Firefox was 78.0.2, just updated to 79.0. Clearing cache and cookies, disabling cache in the web dev tools did not help. Chrome works fine. Also I can't contact support either in Firefox or Chrome, "submit a new ticket" brings me back to the starting "How can we help?" page. Please help! 

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, MF515 said:

I can't contact support either in Firefox or Chrome

Email/ chat support is only available to subscribers unfortunately - you could try the Facebook community or @EvernoteHelps.  Browser updates seem to catch Evernote by surprise sometimes,  and if that's the case here,  they should catch up pretty quickly - a lot of users are Firefox fans.  Short term though - if you haven't already done it,  try the good old "switch your device off,  then switch it back on again" trick - a restart clears all caches and allows your to apps catch their breath...

57 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Email/ chat support is only available to subscribers unfortunately - you could try the Facebook community or @EvernoteHelps.  Browser updates seem to catch Evernote by surprise sometimes,  and if that's the case here,  they should catch up pretty quickly - a lot of users are Firefox fans.  Short term though - if you haven't already done it,  try the good old "switch your device off,  then switch it back on again" trick - a restart clears all caches and allows your to apps catch their breath...

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply! This is not an issue of Firefox update: it started before the update and was not solved by updating to 79.0). Clearing cache, restarting etc were the first things I tried, it did not help. 

I find it ridiculous that no support is provided by the developers...

If anybody is having the same issue with the latest Firefox and managed to solve it, please help!

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, MF515 said:

I find it ridiculous that no support is provided by the developers...

No problem for the reply - with 250M (or so) active users,  many of them Basics,  Evernote would have to fund a customer service team of thousands to help out with every query.  Besides they're giving away their code, web space and general access and upgrades for free,  so I guess they felt they'd done enough.

If you can see Settings when Evernote loads,  try switching to the previous UI version of Evernote Web.  There have been some reports of notes not showing up in the latest just-out-of Beta Evernote web.  Evernote are aware of that and are working on it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just follow the rule not to use a beta for anything productive.

Installing the latest beta sometimes seem to be a sort of ice bucket challenge - makes no sense, but allows to tell stories about dangerous bugs and bad data losses in a time when real dangers are rare in daily life.

So enjoy and entertain yourself with beta-ing, but stop complaining if you get wet.

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

try switching to the previous UI version of Evernote Web.  

Nope.. tried reverting to the previous version,  changing to the new, going back to the current -it does not change anything. White screen after login window, reloading brings me back to the login-password stage. I can't even access my account to be able to write here, have to switch to Chrome. Thanks a lot for trying to help...

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

So enjoy and entertain yourself with beta-ing, but stop complaining if you get wet.

Just to make myself clear: I did NOT install, update or change anything. I generally never do unless I absolutely must because older versions become incompatible. For me these things are tools, not toys, and I would be more than happy without any upgrades which are mostly useless and a waste of time anyway. 

It just suddenly stopped working. I know I am not a subscriber but there are millions of us who are used to keeping things at Evernote, so it would be great if the developers could help a bit.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, MF515 said:

it would be great if the developers could help a bit.

- You could always upgrade to Premium to get Support. If you can pay monthly,  then downgrade again after a month or two when things are sorted out...

Try @EvernoteHelps - but bear in mind;  lots of users... the service there can be slow.

I had to delete my cookies in Firefox 79.0 to finally login.   Previously, I could only get a response that forced me to login with my Google account,  which I don't have linked. I never got an option to use my Evernote account.   Deleting all 16 of my evernote cookies fixed it.

23 hours ago, gazumped said:

- You could always upgrade to Premium to get Support.  

No, I will not upgrade, even temporarily. I really don't think free users should pay for fixing major bugs. I will wait a bit a see if the problem is resolved. Maybe more people will run into the same problem and eventually somebody will find a fix. If not I will switch to another service. I see there is a new question next to mine "Can't login using Google account". I am pretty sure the topic starter is having exactly the same issue. I also get stuck with white screen at the login stage. 

I checked today from the office computer - it works, the same Firefox version and Windows 10. What can possibly be different on my laptop? Tried running Firefox in Safe mode, disabled anti-virus, cleared all cache and cookies again - nothing helps. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, MF515 said:

I really don't think free users should pay for fixing major bugs.

Given that there are (apparently) only a few users suffering from this sort of issue,  and even your own office computer is exempted,  I don't think this exactly qualifies as a 'major' bug - or even necessarily as a bug at all.  If you don't want to get more involved,  of course that's fine - but that's how the system works for the moment.

• Level 5

Very simple:

Value and price have a relation in a market economy.

If somebody is not willing to pay a price for something, he wants and IMHO deserves no value.

In such a case everything above „zero“ are marketing expenses. These are not well spend on somebody who explicitly does not want to pay, never-ever.

In this special case it is not even the EN Software that needs to be sorted out, but some computer misalignment by the user that prohibits EN to work. If I ask a local computer nerd to sort out something like this for me, we are talking a 3 digit invoice. But the value of a cup of to-go is too much for EN support to help. Is there any clear thinking behind all this ?

37 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Is there any clear thinking behind all this ?

No, not really. I didn't  wanted to waste my time but OK, I will explain. It is very simple. The distinction is not between free and paid. It is between decent work and *****. I own a lot of different software both for hobbies and for professional needs. Some of it is free, with possibility to pay for extra options, some is cheap, and some is very very expensive. If I need support even for cheap or free products I always get it, the same speed and quality as for paid stuff. Because for a true professional  offering some products for free does not mean going so low as to provide crappy service. It is a matter or professional pride and it is clever from the business point of view. I will gladly pay more if I see that free product is excellent and well supported, but will never ever upgrade if cheap option is *****, and developers economize on customer support. These are things like attitude, reputation and so on. I do hope that you are not a developer and just a random user, otherwise I would have immediately switched to another service. It is really not a good marketing strategy to tell your customer "take what you are given and bugger off", especially in a competitive field. You may of course, but you will see the consequences very soon.

Anyway, enough of this *****. Folks, if anybody comes across some constructive working solution please let me know. Thanks a lot in advance!

• Level 5

From user to user:

EN has a ratio of paying to non paying users of appr. 1:8 or 1:9. This is my estimate from sources, that may or may not be correct. I think they are good enough for some math: EN management would need to blow Support up to 10 times the headcount of today, without earning a nickel more.

The existence of the Free Model has two reasons: One is for those who get a share from another user, but don’t want to use the service for any other reason. The other is an entry level offer, which is a marketing tool. If you do this, you do not expect to convert all leads (initial users) into paying customers. Part of your effort will be wasted, so what, as long as there is some conversion rate.

But because the free model is not bad at all, there has grown a third group of users: Those who stay on the free model for a long time, using it as a regular service. Because there is an upload limit, but no storage limit, these users become a liability even when individually on a diet.

This is the service you are complaining about. And I say it again: You have no legal and no ethical right to expect ANYTHING from this service you use without compensating. Not for a bug free product, not for any feature,  or for any personal service like support. That you are where you are is YOUR own and free decision (you just reinforced this position by saying you will not pay never ever, even not if you get access to support in exchange).

To get this right: I don’t blame you (what for ?), you can stick with your opinion, feel free. As I have and express my opinion, which I just did.

Just don’t point fingers on others for consequences of your own decision taking.

I see. In this case I would appreciate if you refrained from commenting here unless you can contribute something constructive. 

Moreover, maybe you don't undertsand it but you are not helping Evernote reputation by your good intentions at all. Of course I don't have any legal or ethical rights to expect anything, and I don't. Jusr read this random article https://usefyi.com/evernote-alternative/ and you may start seeing what I am getting at. When customers are told that they have no right to demand anything, they humbly agree...and go away somewhere else. I think the main outcome of this thread is that I will have a very serious look at OneNote. Maybe it is indeed time to switch. Tired of bugs and lectures on ethics instead of tech support.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, MF515 said:

Tired of bugs and lectures on ethics

Speaking of lectures on ethics...   ;)

1 hour ago, MF515 said:

Because for a true professional  offering some products for free does not mean going so low as to provide crappy service. It is a matter or professional pride

Anyhoo, if it works fine on one machine and not another it tends to make one want to take a closer look at the not working machine, whatever combo of circumstances.  TLDR, but are the EN web versions the same on both machines?

Agreed, it shouldn't be this hard.  EN's roll out of the new browser software would make an enlightening case study some day of how not to do it.  So many versions, some not numbered, and some just released and you get it when you sign into the portal one time.  At least it appears that way to me, but I don't use the web version that much.  Good luck.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 8/17/2020 at 12:44 PM, mcoghlan@pcperceptions.com said:

I had to delete my cookies in Firefox 79.0 to finally login.   Previously, I could only get a response that forced me to login with my Google account,  which I don't have linked. I never got an option to use my Evernote account.   Deleting all 16 of my evernote cookies fixed it.

This. It sounds like a problem similar to one I encounter in Opera (I rarely use Firefox). Clearing cookies (even cookies just for the last hour) always fixes it. I've been in conversation with Evernote support about it, and have been sending reports and logs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 5:01 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This. It sounds like a problem similar to one I encounter in Opera (I rarely use Firefox). Clearing cookies (even cookies just for the last hour) always fixes it. I've been in conversation with Evernote support about it, and have been sending reports and logs.

Looks like I have to keep deleting the cookies.  Not sure if there's an event that causes this happen though.

• Level 5

Would it help to blacklist EN in the browser to not accept cookies from this web site ?

This could probably be done in the browser settings. I just don’t know whether this will have other implications, like not launching EN at all. But if so, you could always delete the blacklisting setting and restart the Browser.

On 8/18/2020 at 12:21 AM, CalS said:

it tends to make one want to take a closer look at the not working machine, whatever combo of circumstances. 

Generally yes, but if things suddenly stopped working without any changes made on the machine, it tends to make one want to closer look at recent changes in Evernote.

On 8/30/2020 at 7:16 PM, MoreRuffage said:

Looks like I have to keep deleting the cookies. 

I tried it and unfortunately it did not help. Anyway, as I suspected, the problem eventually disappeared by itself. I had to work from Chrome for sometime, and then suddenly access through Firefox was back again. Probably some bug was fixed by the Evernote team. Thanks a lot for everyone who tried to help!

UPD And once again: no, it was not FF update in my case. The problem started in 78 and was not solved by upgrade to 79. I still have 79, with updates disabled, and the problem is fixed.

• Level 5

Yes , working fine on my Mac with latest Catalina and FF 80.0.1. Both WebClient and WebClipper are fully functional.

Since FF released several new versions since this thread was started with FF 78, I think it is more plausible that the Mozilla team implemented new stuff in FF, and got it fixed. Especially with FF80 privacy measures were upgraded again. There came very quickly a 80.0.1, which indicates something small needed an urgent fix in the original 80-release.

Just my 5 ct.