Support for bi-directional links

Shobith

Idea

5 replies to this idea

I also believe this would make the Evernote experience much better!

Obsidian might be a good reference to check, as it works in a similar way to Evernote, it handles notes not blocks, like roam. + when a Bi-directional Link  is added it does not effect the linked note. Instead, you have a sidebar (witch is something similar to a search bar) that indicates the notes that have a link to this one, notes that have the same tags and notes that have words in common.

This way you could have a "side bar" in Evernote that give us this kind of info. It would be awesome!

image.thumb.png.d4029a17ba20b4bf4ab72e918af50f5a.png

• Level 5*
On 7/6/2020 at 2:27 PM, Shobith said:

Support for bi-directional links like we see in roamresearch.com: this would make my note taking life so much more easier. I currently rely on search to do that feature in Evernote and it is very tedious.

This is how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GG0Ck14ISM

Thank you for the youtube link, it explained the "bi-directional links"

The Evernote equivalent is Tags    
however Evernote lacks hyperlinks to a tag filter  
and tags only function at the note level, not the note content sentence/block level

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Thank you for the youtube link, it explained the "bi-directional links"

however Evernote lacks hyperlinks to a tag filter  
and tags only function at the note level, not the note content sentence/block level

Yeah, I'm aware of tags, but I don't believe that they are "equivalent" because of the reasons you mentioned.

On 7/16/2020 at 2:30 PM, DTLow said:

Not really, a bidirectional link is a link between two things that can be traversed in either direction, if I am at A and follow a link to B I should always be able to follow a link to A. Not just go back to A, as in going back a page in a browser, but if I create the line from A to B then later I get to B in some other way, the link from B to A should be created automatically.

Tags on the other hand are a way of noting that things are related in some way that is meaningful to you. It's quite possible the A and B in my example might not have any tags in common, and if they did they would just be members of a possibly very large set.