Organized Shopping List Templates?

Hello everyone. I'm looking to see if there are any free EN shopping templates out there. I've already done plenty of research on this, I've found free ones, but the one website that there seems to be a lot of links that go to this is a website called "simplydaylife" or something very similar to that can't remember the exact name. But even the official EN website has this, but when I click on it, it tells me on the screen that the website isn't found. So also when I research this the grocery shopping lists templates pop up but I don't see any "general shopping lists" on there. And I'm really not that creative so it's hard for me to just come up w an idea of how I want to lay it out and create my own document and then save it into a template which is why I always search for templates but this time I'm ending up not finding any. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!!

Consider this; don't use a single list. I keep a notebook call purchases. In it is a note for each item I am considering purchasing. I will compare websites for an item and where I could get the best deal. I'll put links to the item in the note.  I also use the tags to tag the store where I would purchase them. Or I may just clip the page and put it in that note so I know the store sku number and maybe the aisle its in. If I am in the area of a store, I search for that tag to see if there was something I wanted to purchase there. Consequently, I also have a shortcut on my phone that allows me to quickly add an item to that notebook of something that I need to purchase later or research for purchase. (Really useful since I have a child headed to college)

Otherwise, you could look at any EN or non-EN shopping list and replicate it in EN easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, charlieedstrom said:

don't use a single list ... a note for each item I am considering purchasing ... I also have a shortcut on my phone that allows me to quickly add an item

I like that concept; the list of notes becomes the shopping list filtered by whatever criteria (like store)

I'm interested in details on the shortcut
I also use applescript on my Mac

>>I keep a notebook call purchases

I use minimal notebooks
I prefer tags; multiple tags can be assigned to a note

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

A contrarian view.  I don't think EN is the place for things like grocery lists, particularly if you share the list with someone.  Just not as easy as a standalone app.  Our household started with Wunderlist and morphed to Microsoft To Do.  One shared list, maintainable from about any platform, press the square box and the item drops off the list. 

EN works fine for single item purchase stuff.  And I do use EN for all my to do items using the reminder functionality.  Over 2,000 notes have had or currently have a reminder at this point.  That bit works well for my use case, but not grocery lists.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I agree with the need for tickable / reactive / shareable lists.  In a pinch it's possible to use Evernote on (Android) mobile - per @charlieedstrom,  via the widgets or a home screen shortcut.

I was trying out shopping lists a few weeks ago - in the UK if we shop at a supermarket it's possible to save your purchases as a 'shopping list' to make it easier for you to buy them again next time.  I just copied a few saved lists into a spreadsheet so I got the layout and grouping right - milk and cheese under dairy etc... - and then planned to tidy the layout and use it as a 'blank' shopping list.  I'd tick what I wanted to buy,  and then cross off the items that I actually bought...  Until I realised that I use a Samsung which has a really good note-taking option and it's far quicker just to use the stylus to handwrite my lists when I need them.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Yeah we changed our process recently.  We still add items to To Do as needed until shopping time but now I go online with Instacart and place the order for home delivery.  Shopping with a keyboard as opposed to feet,  My significant other likes this process so much she says we may not go back to the old way when this current chaos goes away.  What have I wrought?

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*

You liked shopping?  I hate crushes,  I... dislike crowds,  and the endless traffic jams of folks who probably only meet once a week in the shop but must pause to have a chat....  Let's just say that online is quiet,  quick and -apart from the 30 minutes of activity while we put everything away when it's delivered,  I find it most appealing.  Apart from the time they delivered an important bottle of liquid with a no-tamper cap firmly in place.  A little web searching resolved that pretty quickly,  but still! 

(We now check those bottles before the driver gets to leave!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

You liked shopping?  I hate crushes,  I... dislike crowds,  and the endless traffic jams of folks who probably only meet once a week in the shop but must pause to have a chat....  Let's just say that online is quiet,  quick and -apart from the 30 minutes of activity while we put everything away when it's delivered,  I find it most appealing.  Apart from the time they delivered an important bottle of liquid with a no-tamper cap firmly in place.  A little web searching resolved that pretty quickly,  but still! 

God no!  Haven’t been in a grocery store in years, dearly beloved handled that in the separation of duties. I do tech better so I get the on line shopping duties.  With over the shoulder help of course. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 8:34 AM, charlieedstrom said:

Consider this; don't use a single list. I keep a notebook call purchases. In it is a note for each item I am considering purchasing. I will compare websites for an item and where I could get the best deal. I'll put links to the item in the note.  I also use the tags to tag the store where I would purchase them. Or I may just clip the page and put it in that note so I know the store sku number and maybe the aisle its in. If I am in the area of a store, I search for that tag to see if there was something I wanted to purchase there. Consequently, I also have a shortcut on my phone that allows me to quickly add an item to that notebook of something that I need to purchase later or research for purchase. (Really useful since I have a child headed to college)

Otherwise, you could look at any EN or non-EN shopping list and replicate it in EN easily.

That's actually not a bad idea! I'm a student in college right now but I'm still living w my parents. I asked this question because my family is always needing things from the store (not sure why cause there's only four of us but I guess we run out really quickly 😂🙄) but anyways, because of this issue my parents are always running to the store and my dad has to work from home now cause of the pandemic and has been for a couple of months now. So he's always the one who orders the food online (well the majority of the time, if he's busy my mom does it) but both of them usually forget something on the grocery list and then they end up having to order it again or going out and getting it while they're getting their own things. It does become slightly frustrating, and ik if I'm slightly frustrated at all they must be too so I'm just trying to figure out a way to make this running back and forth easier so everyone is at least in a decent mood whoever gets home from the store. 

On 7/6/2020 at 9:28 AM, DTLow said:

I like that concept; the list of notes becomes the shopping list filtered by whatever criteria (like store)

I'm interested in details on the shortcut
I also use applescript on my Mac

>>I keep a notebook call purchases

I use minimal notebooks
I prefer tags; multiple tags can be assigned to a note

I actually posted this question in the EN reddit community and someone suggested me an app called OurGroceries and it's actually a really great app especially for those like me who want their list organized into categories. I highly recommend it for grocery lists.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, CalS said:

A contrarian view.  I don't think EN is the place for things like grocery lists, particularly if you share the list with someone.  Just not as easy as a standalone app.  Our household started with Wunderlist and morphed to Microsoft To Do.  One shared list, maintainable from about any platform, press the square box and the item drops off the list. 

EN works fine for single item purchase stuff.  And I do use EN for all my to do items using the reminder functionality.  Over 2,000 notes have had or currently have a reminder at this point.  That bit works well for my use case, but not grocery lists.

I'm not sure if you saw the comment I just posted in someone else's response but I do agree w you. I've found an easier app to organize my grocery list and that's the issue I ran across was sharing the list w others. But don't get me wrong, I do love to use EN tho haha

On 7/7/2020 at 7:20 AM, gazumped said:

I felt this so much, literally I don't do anything outside the house unless it's w my bf because I just don't like the gen pop. And this might be because of my anxiety/social anxiety but still if it's not that then maybe I just hate being around people they weird me out😂

• Haha 1
On 7/7/2020 at 10:13 AM, CalS said:

God no!  Haven’t been in a grocery store in years, dearly beloved handled that in the separation of duties. I do tech better so I get the on line shopping duties.  With over the shoulder help of course. 

w what you just said, this is actually a good idea of having separate shopping duties. Since my bf and I have really bad anxiety going anywhere we might as well both just stick to online shopping 😂😅🙄

• Like 1