Shared Notes

Hello,

Hope someone could offer some direction relating to shared notes.  I have a few that I have shared with another family member and the process works fine and they are able to view each one.  Some of these notes are not valid or needed any longer so I have removed the shared access and again that works as expected.  However, the other user still has these notes in their Shared with Me section of EN.  If they select the note it simply says you no longer have access. 

The issue I am trying to resolve and can not find a solution for is how to REMOVE the note so it no longer appears in their Shared with Me section.   It seems unusual that shared access has been removed but for some reason EN still displays a notebook they can't access or do not need.   Looked at the Android app and EN web but can't find any way to remove those notebooks.

Any help or thoughts would be most appreciated.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There has been an issue with 'shared with me' notes not being deleteable,  but I understood that if the original owner 'unshared' them,  the notes would disappear.  Is it possible to ask the family member to restart their device,  and if that doesn't work to sync,  then uninstall Evernote,  restart the device and reinstall?  Hopefully that should work...

Thanks for taking time to reply gazumped and your suggestions.  I was also happy to learn this is a "known problem" and not something unique to my situation.  It's really confusing to see that permission has been removed for these notebooks, however they still appear in the shared section.  I tried all the suggestions mentioned but unfortunately the issue STILL exists.  The notebooks appear in the Shared with Me section and they receive you don't have access to this, which shows permission has been removed.  But I still can NOT figure out why they continue to appear on the list in the shared section.  This really defeats the purpose of sharing a notebook, why do this when the other person still sees information they no longer need.

I appreciate any additional thoughts or suggestions it would be great to resolve this issue.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, ttonnis said:

I tried all the suggestions mentioned but unfortunately the issue STILL exists.

Just so we're clear,  the suggestions were aimed at the person seeing these unwanted notes,  not the person who shared them...  If your family member has done the whole restart / reinstall thing,  I can only suggest that you raise it with Support via Twitter @EvernoteHelps,  or check out the Evernote community on Facebook.  You could also try re-sharing the notes and re-de-sharing them to see if that toggles something,  but chances are it may only produce some more unkillable phantom notes.  Lets hope someone else has found a solution and can share it here!

Yes these steps were completed by the family member I shared the content with.  I am hopeful we will have other replies from members or EN support on a solution.  As I don't use Twitter or Facebook.  I even tried granting permission again and  then removed it as an option, but unfortunately had the same results.  They could STILL see the shared notes in the Shared with Me section, but received access denied when selecting the note.  Which obviously shows sharing was stopped correctly.  The real mystery remains why these still appear in their list and they are no longer shared.   My thinking is this can't be a unique or isolated situation so maybe others will share their experience or a possible solution.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, ttonnis said:

I am hopeful we will have other replies from members or EN support on a solution.

Don't think Support will be chipping in here,  but other members might have some ideas...  I'm sure I've seen Evernote commenting that they were aware of a situation and were looking at a fix to be included with a 'future release',  but there's no indication of how far in the future that will be...   ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 7/24/2020 at 10:44 AM, CuteSquab said:

If your family member has done the whole restart / reinstall thing,  I can only suggest that you raise it with Support via Twitter @EvernoteHelps,  or check out the Evernote community on Facebook.

??

On 7/7/2020 at 5:47 PM, gazumped said:

If your family member has done the whole restart / reinstall thing,  I can only suggest that you raise it with Support via Twitter @EvernoteHelps,  or check out the Evernote community on Facebook.

Snap?

Is it really true that notes shared with me can't be deleted, even if they are something I have zero interest in and don't know why the person shared with me in the first place?

Someone suggested evernote for a project I am doing and I decided to give it a try. I had briefly tried EN in 2014 and never warmed to it. Someone I barely know shared something with me in 2016 and I can't find a way to delete this.

This is pretty basic functionality and not being able to delete shared files puts your account at the mercy of other people. If someone else shares junk with me, as I understand, I'm stuck with their junk forever? Truth?

• Level 5*

Evernote are in progress of upgrading - and replacing - their existing products with new offerings.  They've already indicated the new versions will have a different sharing mechanism which -hopefully- will get around glitches like this.  Meantime I think the rules for accepting shares are the same as for malware or spam.  Don't accept something unless you're expecting it. 

If you did accept something by mistake and can't wait for the new releases,  you could simply create a new account and migrate over your existing notes (if there are only a few),  or create another account and share the notebooks you want to see across.