Multiple users note editing

Miguel M

Idea

For years, Google Docs has allowed multiple users to work on the same file at the same time. Evernote should do the same for notes.

It seems like a completely necessary feature, as more and more apps incorporate this ability. 

This would also solve the problem of the anoying note duplicates when working offline. 

Evernote, please allow for multiple user working on a note simultaneously! 

• Like 1

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Miguel M said:

multiple users to work on the same file at the same time.

Should be do-able for the web platform   
With the other platforms, each use is editing their own copy of a note

• Like 1
On 7/1/2020 at 6:59 AM, DTLow said:

Should be do-able for the web platform   
With the other platforms, each use is editing their own copy of a note

how is it doable for the web platform?  I am interested in this... 

• Level 5

I don’t think it can be done without risking duplication and data loss.

EN treats the whole note as entity. G docs, Office 365 and others use a different internal design, breaking a document down into small elements.

You can try, but at your own peril.

I'll try to see if it would somehow work if the note shows that it is "locked" or "unlocked" using checkboxes. this way the users can take turns before editing the note... i'll see how that goes...

I don't know how it's done, but I know that Google docs and other platforms allow several users (or even instances of the same user) to edit a document live at the same time. And that it works from the web, the phone, and every connected device. This also works well in Word 365. 

Someone says that you risk data loss, and duplications. But that already happens in Evernote. I constantly get note conflicts. I never get note conflicts in Google keep, Google docs, OneNote, Word, ...

• Level 5

These programs - as described above in short words - break each document down into many little fragments. When users work simultaneously on a document, they work on one of these fragments. Usually two users will not try to change the same element at the same time. Changes will save on this granular level when a user moves on to the next fragment.

EN sees the whole note as the smallest fragment. In fact this is only partly true, if there are pictures, attachments or other elements contained in a note, these are individual elements two. But in general when one user starts to modify a note, and another does the same, the note will either be locked for one of them, or the editing will cause a note conflict with a duplication.

EN AFAIK needs to make a move to a granular data design to allow collaborative editing of notes.