Make an options to make all notes offline along with specific notes

• Level 5*

My database is somewhere north of 20GB. I don't have that much space on my phone.  What I do have is a notebook that I designated as offline storage on the Android that I can use to hold travel documentation and 'work in progress' notes.  Given that most folks don't have too much free space available I think defaulting everything to offline storage would not be feasible. User management required... 

• Level 5*
On 6/28/2020 at 7:39 AM, Arshad Nihal Khalifa said:

option to make all notes in a device go into offline

We have the "all notes" option in IOS, as well as specific notebooks

As per @gazumped, I have an "offline notebook" for specific notes

• 1 month later...
  • Evernote Expert

I think there is definitely a use case, for making specific 'notes' offline ( along with existing notebooks - feature which exists on mobile). Reason, some of my independent Notebooks themselves run into GBs, while individual notes in them may be 100-150MB. In sparse net conditions, where i mostly live, with no Wifi, and a terrible mobile connection, it defintey makes sense to have offline notes, as downloading or accessing info within a specific note is difficult.  @Ian Small @May L

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, SK_123 said:

Reason, some of my independent Notebooks themselves run into GBs, while individual notes in them may be 100-150MB.

Not clear what you mean by "independent Notebooks"
I basically have a single notebook (Filing)
and notebooks for special purposes like Offline

I do have a problem if a note has multiple "special purposes"; I can only assign a single notebook

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, SK_123 said:

individual notes in them may be 100-150MB

All very well to have offline notes, but how much free storage do you have on your device?  I have a notebook (I may have mentioned) into (and out of) which I switch the notes I need on a visit by visit basis depending where and when I'm travelling.  It works for me,  no special 'offline' status required... 

• Level 5

On my iPad I have nearly all notebooks set to offline. No sweat with 512 GB of flash memory.

On the iPhone I am more selective, usually I do not really work with EN on the iPhone. It is more for reference purposes.

It is really no effort to switch a notebook to offline, and because it stays that way, it is a one-timer. IMHO no need to change the iOS logic. No idea about the Android client.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert
On 8/20/2020 at 12:18 AM, gazumped said:

All very well to have offline notes, but how much free storage do you have on your device?  I have a notebook (I may have mentioned) into (and out of) which I switch the notes I need on a visit by visit basis depending where and when I'm travelling.  It works for me,  no special 'offline' status required... 

Thats why, i said, user to have an option to download specific notes, within a notebook. My database too is over 30GB+ with over 20,000 notes. Not possible to download entirely offline on mobile, although i think in 1 or 2 years, our mobile phones will have enough memory to download entire databases.

Some notebooks, contain important reference information, which i may need for a short duration of time. say 5 or 10 notebooks, ranging around 500 MB to 1 GB, whereas the entire notebook may be much more. I need to have those specific notes available, offline always, but the notebook size may be a big deterrant. Not to mention, i have a terrible net connection, with no Wifi. 

( Please don't give the option that i could move the required notes to a seperate/new notebook and download), cos, the notes are in a specific notebook, with a meaning. Doesn't make sense to keep tinkering them here and there. ) 

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, SK_123 said:

cos, the notes are in a specific notebook, with a meaning

Thats a problem in your use of notebooks; you should look at the tag feature for your "with a meaning"

Evernote uses notebooks to identify notes as private/shared, online/local, offline, default

• Evernote Expert

Its not a problem in my usage, because 'Notebooks' was defined for creating a common group of notes, just as in folders. 

In any case, you just contradicted yourself, because, even if i used 'tags' for organizing specific notes, with a purpose, then, i wouldn't be able to download 'a set of notes defined by a tag', simply, because 'Evernote' doesn't support downloading 'tags' feature yet, but only Notebooks. :) { incidentally, if Evernote were to implement a note based indepenednt download system, then automatically, it would be logically easy, to download an entire tag-linked notes, by that logic.) 

And yes, I am as much as a power user as you are, but i am strong enough to point out the criticism in Evernote. Infact i use 'tags' more than 'notebooks' in my organization structure. You may want to take a look at my detailed feedback note, which i sent to Evernote, a month ago, and you can look how detailed i use 'tags' and my organization structure, in detail. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yOqVsYzyEE_CmO_fbdj_zXyR4H4XZ0Jk/view?usp=sharing 

(Subsequent to sharing this document, i even had an online discussion with some members of Evernote's development team, online, and shared some of my views and feedback, on the upcoming changes). 

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, SK_123 said:

'Evernote' doesn't support downloading 'tags' feature yet, but only Notebooks.

Agreed, it's a deficiency
I'd like all the notebook features extended to tags

>>creating a common group of notes, just as in folders

Evernote has no support for folders
Some users emulate folders using the notebook/tag trees

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, SK_123 said:

'Evernote' doesn't support downloading 'tags' feature yet, but only Notebooks.

Hi.  I'm probably being slow here,  but while features differ between mobile and desktop clients,  there seems to be no bar on desktops to identifying a series of notes by tag search and selecting a random number of those notes for various operations including Share/ Merge/ Move/ Print and create ToC.  By 'downloading tags' do you mean acquiring a list of tag names,  or processing the notes identified by those tags?