Web Clipper not working on YouTube (Chrome Browser)

Windows 10 .   Chrome Browser.  
Working Earlier.  Suddenly stopped.    
But seems to work (sometimes) in the First  Tab that's opened.     ???    

Strange.  Will try in another browser & computer.  and report back.   

Update 1 -   After posting this message.   I tried  Clipping this page.     And it Worked.          So then I Went back to  YT  and it still wouldn't Clip.   (tried it both while the video was both running, and  Not running.)  
In the past, it has Always Clipped Fine.  Whether a video was running or not.   

Update 2 -  I'm using the  Classic version, on the web.    Always was fine before.   
                       Note - - I ran some Windows Updates a couple hours before.     Might be a connection.  ?    Or coincidence maybe. 

• Level 5*

Just tried clipping with Chrome, Edge and Brave, all worked.  Chrome version of Clipper below.  Running Windows 10 Pro current version best I know.  Maybe remove and reinstall clipper?

image.png.94d9890c50bb80e739610bbf6edbca2d.png

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Carlos Cortes said:

I have the same problem, Web Clipper does not work on YouTube
  with Chrome Browser. Uninstall and reinstall Web Clipper and it still doesn't work on YouTube

Maybe try a different browser until EN sorts it out?  Brave and Edge are based upon Chromium so similar settings and all that.  

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Maybe try a different browser until EN sorts it out?  Brave and Edge are based upon Chromium so similar settings and all that.  

Thanks for the Reply.    
Yeah, I tried a different computer - -  using both Brave &  Chrome - -  Same result!   (although, very occasionally it will work.    Like when the Browser or Tab is first opened.  Very Random though. ) 

Also very Strange that it was the Same problem with Brave.   
I don't use my Google Login on Brave, and have almost no extensions on Brave.  Just EN (which I do Sign into) and 1 other.   
(So I disabled/removed the other extension -  and same thing:  Doesn't work).    Actually it DID work once, but then not again.   

Really Bizarre.   But YT is crucial for research nowadays.   So if there is a problem saving from there - -  A Lot of people are going to likely make some noise.  

Update - -  I just tried it again from the very Latest version of Microsoft Edge Browser.      And was  Stunned to discover - -  

The Same Thing!  Doesn't Work from YouTube.  

The first time you Click the Clipper, you can see quick shot of the Clipper pop up,  for maybe a second at most.   Then it disappears/fails.     
But if you try a second or third time...   Nothing.  No more quick little popup.   
Same thing even from another Tab or video.     You only get the slight reaction that the First Time.   Then Nothing.  

I have a feeling that (Maybe) the programmers were fiddling with something,  during the last couple days.  

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, AJ2449 said:

Update - -  I just tried it again from the very Latest version of Microsoft Edge Browser.      And was  Stunned to discover - -  

The first time you Click the Clipper, you can see quick shot of the Clipper pop up,  for maybe a second at most.   Then it disappears/fails.     
But if you try a second or third time...   Nothing.  No more quick little popup.   
Same thing even from another Tab or video.     You only get the slight reaction that the First Time.   Then Nothing.  

I have a feeling that (Maybe) the programmers were fiddling with something,  during the last couple days.  

Don't know.  Still working for me.  Weird on a good day.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.53a7f0f1055c2d53e27baae1223ab7d4.png

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Bryanne said:

It did work on Edge but who wants to use that!!!

Off topic, but I switched to "new" Edge in the last couple of months.  I never thought Microsoft would produce a browser that was worth the time.  They switched to Chromium as a backbone and created something fast, light, and not particularly intrusive.  Amazed me to be honest.  I've benched Brave for a while.  Only use Chrome as a last resort, way too much resource consumption for my liking.  FWIW.

Thanks CalS. Interesting observation about Brave's resource consumption. Brave prides itself on being faster and less resource-hungry. In fact last week I upgraded my memory to 16gig - one of the drags was clearly Brave!!

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Bryanne said:

Thanks CalS. Interesting observation about Brave's resource consumption. Brave prides itself on being faster and less resource-hungry. In fact last week I upgraded my memory to 16gig - one of the drags was clearly Brave!!

My issue with Brave was it started handling the downloading of PDFs differently either late last year or early this year.  Some kind of lag was introduced which does not play nice with EN import folders. 

Performance wasn't a big issue with Brave.  Though I do think Edge is a bit better than Brave and Brave is better than Chrome.  Chrome is still the king in eating/keeping RAM and CPU.  My experience anyway.  I like Brave's ad blocking but I'm blocking most ads in that I use Private Internet Access as a VPN which has a built in ad blocker (MACE is what they call it).  So I can use any of them really.  Just prefer Edge at this point.  Faster for me.  🤷‍♂️

EDIT:  And I forgot to mention Google's Software Reporter Tool.  Which is enough for me to say adios.

Thanks for your further observations.  I have again tested Brave vs Chrome resources and Brave is definitely using more RAM (by about 15%). Based on your observations on Edge I am actually trying this now. It seems a fraction slower than Chrome BUT I will use it for now as it is the only browser currently in which Web Clipper is working!!!!!   Based on my experience in the past though, Edge is hopelessly unstable.

Edited by Bryanne
I forgot tomake a worthwhile point
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bryanne said:

Thanks for your further observations.  I have again tested Brave vs Chrome resources and Brave is definitely using more RAM (by about 15%). Based on your observations on Edge I am actually trying this now. It seems a fraction slower than Chrome BUT I will use it for now as it is the only browser currently in which Web Clipper is working!!!!!   Based on my experience in the past though, Edge is hopelessly unstable.

Make sure you have the new version of Edge.  When I tried months back I didn't realize I had the old version to start.  Downloaded the new one and things got much better.  This version hasn't crashed since I started using it.  Not shilling for Microsoft, I'm sure Brave will leap frog at some point.  Good thing is they are both Chromium based so the settings and extensions look very familiar.  And that's all on this subject for me!

Actually, after installing the updated Edge, Evernote Web Clipper is also no longer working in that either!!!! 

So I guess the problem must lie with the Clipper itself. I am of course just referring to trying to clip Youtube videos.

So that appears to be (possibly) the issue. The "Chromium" update may have broken the Clipper, on YouTube.     

I also submitted a ticket, yesterday. 

Edited by AJ2449
edited for TLDR

My Chrome is now ALSO suddenly working!! It must have updated itself in the last couple of hours although not sure how as I have not restarted my system).  

The interesting thing that has come out of this though is that I now agree with CalS in that the new Edge seems to use a lot less resources than Chrome or Brave. So I think I may continue to use Edge until Brave becomes less resource-hungry 

• Like 1

As of this morning it is FINALLY working for me again n BRAVE (I haven't checked the other browsers). This is within 5 minutes of turning on my computer. I have tested three Youtube videos and it worked each time. It may stop working during the day again but at least this is the first day this has happened :) :) Happy Days again possibly

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Bryanne said:

As of this morning it is FINALLY working for me again n BRAVE (I haven't checked the other browsers). This is within 5 minutes of turning on my computer. I have tested three Youtube videos and it worked each time. It may stop working during the day again but at least this is the first day this has happened :):) Happy Days again possibly

Sweet mysteries of life....

A day after the "Fix" , it Stopped working again for me..    So I  sent them a follow up to my original Ticket ...   

They replied with a polite message that they are aware of the problem, and it would likely be intermittent until a new Clipper is released. ...    ??

I'm just curious why it's only affecting  some, but not others . 

• Level 5
40 minutes ago, AJ2449 said:

A day after the "Fix" , it Stopped working again for me..    So I  sent them a follow up to my original Ticket ...   

They replied with a polite message that they are aware of the problem, and it would likely be intermittent until a new Clipper is released. ...    ??

I'm just curious why it's only affecting  some, but not others . 

And apparently only affecting YouTube, which leads me to think that YouTube made some change to their code or formatting or something that the EN clipper can't pick up. YT ain't going to fix anything they break just to please Evernote, so it sounds like the EN developers are doing what they have to do.

I am having the same problem, and it is only happening in videos that have this new "index"

image.png.18a640f881badbfd8cefd28ddd95349e.png

On videos where this does not appear it works. 

Really hoping they can fix it quickly, as tutorials usualy have it, since they have timestamps.

On 7/5/2020 at 2:07 AM, oscarjps98 said:

I am having the same problem, and it is only happening in videos that have this new "index"

image.png.18a640f881badbfd8cefd28ddd95349e.png

On videos where this does not appear it works. 

Really hoping they can fix it quickly, as tutorials usualy have it, since they have timestamps.

Thanks for that I thought I was going mad as it stopped working, then the next day it worked, then it stopped. All the videos I have tried to bookmark recently - nothing happens when I click on CLIPPER (in Firefox, Edge or Opera on several PCs) you cant't even selct the bookmark or screenshot instead of YouTube, in CLIPPER, as nothing pops up any more.

This explains WHY some videos worked and others not.

I have foun a workaround by using TOGGLES https://toogl.es/ or VIEWPURE http://viewpure.com/. Watch the same videos there and you can at least bookmark them.

Not working for me either on Firefox and chrome... exactly what AJ2449 said is what is happening for me too...

On 6/29/2020 at 12:40 AM, AJ2449 said:

I submitted a ticket still not heard anything back.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 2:17 PM, BaldEagle said:

Thanks for that I thought I was going mad as it stopped working, then the next day it worked, then it stopped. All the videos I have tried to bookmark recently - nothing happens when I click on CLIPPER (in Firefox, Edge or Opera on several PCs) you cant't even selct the bookmark or screenshot instead of YouTube, in CLIPPER, as nothing pops up any more.

This explains WHY some videos worked and others not.

I have foun a workaround by using TOGGLES https://toogl.es/ or VIEWPURE http://viewpure.com/. Watch the same videos there and you can at least bookmark them.

I have found a better workaround - I think?

TOGGLES and VIEWPURE did not "clipper" a proper descripton or the image of the video which I find usefull neither did other alternative viewer.

image.png.91ca22ae685eafce9f921f49566641af.png

Then I found this - add an extra . (DOT) after https://www.youtube.com so https://www.youtube.com. you can now use Clipper again..

THAT'S ALL just an extra dot after the COM and before the /watch?v=xxxxxxxx.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I saw that extra hack somewhere recently - the stated reason for the quote was that it killed the adverts;  so maybe it's YouTube's inserted ads that are causing this issue...?  Anyhow: nice catch!