Evernote Copy Paste Bug (Demo Video)

I think this may have been brought up before, but it's been an on-going issue for at least a year and I'm finally at the breaking point where I need to post about it.

Indentation is never consistently preserved when pasting in blocks of text (Ctrl-V) from other applications, but it's particularly buggy when pasting from some IDEs. In this case I've uploaded a video demonstrating the bug from JetBrains IDEs.

You can see in the video that Microsoft Word handles the cut/paste like a champ. I'm also using a Clipboard spy to examine the RTF and HTML in the clipboard. Exporting both of them shows that the indents are there, so Evernote is definitely incorrectly processing that data.

Hilariously, if you insert this clipboard data into a Evernote Code Block, it will correctly preserve the indents, and then proceed to double the amount of "empty lines" (linefeeds) .  Evernote has been so bafflingly inconsistent when handling copy/paste for YEARS NOW.

Evernote Devs.... please FIX THIS.

• Level 5

Hi, @cacotigon. I presume Paste and Match Style (Ctrl+Shift+V) is not a workable option? As you may know, these are primarily user-to-user forums. Though Evernote staff (not developers) may look in here, it's not a good channel for direct contact with EN. Since you've got a Premium account, you're probably better off contacting tech support with this: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:32 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi, @cacotigon. I presume Paste and Match Style (Ctrl+Shift+V) is not a workable option? As you may know, these are primarily user-to-user forums. Though Evernote staff (not developers) may look in here, it's not a good channel for direct contact with EN. Since you've got a Premium account, you're probably better off contacting tech support with this: https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new.

Hey @Dave-in-Decatur

Unfortunately Ctrl-Shift-V strips out all the nice syntax highlighting that is part of the RTF/HTML. And yeah, I think you're right in that I should probably just open up a support ticket with Evernote directly.

Thanks!

• Like 1