Access to Support?

I am a new Evernote user on a basic (free) program,  just downloaded it today.  When I decided to contact Support with a question, I found the information and pathway to do so unclear and confusing.

Somwehere on your website (don't remember exactly where)  I read something along the lines " you can contact us via email 24/7".

I was already logged in - and yet when I clicked on Contact Support in my profile and was taken to the Help & Support page - I was asked to log in again.  (??)

I then made the selection on three different menus seeking information about the nature of my issue.  All I wanted was to send an email. - but that's ok. 

After I have made my selections,  the instruction was:  " Please send us a ticket providing as much information about this issue as possible".  Great, except that there was no link  or any option to submit a ticket.

At the bottom of that page however,  I saw three contact buttons out of which only one was active:  Community (active) , Chat (inactive - for Premium users only),  Email (inactive - for Premium users only).

That's how I ended up on this community forum.  I have asked the question I wanted to ask in another topic.

My question here is - if your Support is NOT accessible to free users at all, and not contactable, not even via email (?)) - why don't you say this clearly  where you state your 24/7 email support?  I was signed in as a FREE user - why did your site give me the wrong hence confusing instruction to send a ticket after taking me through several questions etc knowing that I was not eligible? And finally, how can  people who are not your users contact Evernote with whatever questions they have?  Are you not accessible to anyone but your Business and Premium users?

What if, as a free user, I have a serious issue related to my free account (hacked, virus, lost data etc) and NEED to contact you?

I would appreciate your reply so that I know where I stand and whether your program is suitable for me.  I don't entrust a program with personal and business data when I have no access to program support. A commmunity forum is not sufficient for such matters.

• Level 5*
On 6/21/2020 at 1:59 AM, Jazzum said:

What if, as a free user, I have a serious issue related to my free account (hacked, virus, lost data etc) and NEED to contact you?

Twitter @evernotehelps  

• Level 5*
On 6/21/2020 at 3:59 AM, Jazzum said:

I don't entrust a program with personal and business data when I have no access to program support

So test the program for fit and then subscribe and get support for your personal and business data.

• Level 5

In addition to @DTLow and @CalS's remarks, a couple of further thoughts:

• These are primarily user-to-user forums, so you're not really addressing Evernote directly here.
  • Agreed that the support page links and menus are confusing.
  • The deal is that emailing support via the online form is a Premium feature.
  • Honestly, if you're entrusting both personal and business data to a program or service, isn't it worth paying for it? Especially since a paid account gets you other services also, such as access to note history. I guarantee you'll spend less money on Evernote Premium in a year than you will on coffee and fast food in a couple of months.

thank you all for your replies.

I don't consider twitter as a means of customer support.

I will only pay for a program that is indispensable  - such as  Premium Support for Wordfence Security and the Theme on my website.  I would use Evernote only as a file organiser with ALL my notes saved only in Local Notebooks, nothing in the cloud, no sync between devices, no collaboration with others. I will never store my personal/business data in a cloud storage (I'm mystified that so many people are complately blind to its dangers). So - i don't need access to my note history, backup etc. and will not pay for a file organiser.

I have determined by now that this is not a suitable program for me  (more so that I have to sign in each time to access MY OWN data. That will never happen).

Finally, I don't buy coffee or fast food 😀

I have deleted my notes and deactivated my account.

Good luck!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Jazzum said:

I don't consider twitter as a means of customer support.

You asked for support options as a non-paying user   
Customers get support at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

>>I will never store my personal/business data in a cloud storage

Evernote is a cloud service - you definitely do not need a cloud service   
Make sure you maintain adequate data backups

There is NO email, chat, phone or snailmail customer support for free users.

correct, I don't need to use cloud and I don't need evernote.

As I said, I have deactivated my account.

• Level 5
15 hours ago, Jazzum said:

There is NO email, chat, phone or snailmail customer support for free users.

correct, I don't need to use cloud and I don't need evernote.

As I said, I have deactivated my account.

Glad that things have gotten clarified for your needs. I agree, Evernote is not best suited to be a local file organizer.

WRT support for paying vs. free users, there is a cost associated with support, as with everything that Evernote does. Because they do not do what Google, for instance, does--i.e., they do not gather and sell your data, and they do not serve you third-party ads--they have to recover these costs at some point, which means they have to decide what they can offer for free and what they need to charge for. IMHO, free support for people who choose not to pay for the service would be a poor business decision. But free users do frequently find it irksome.

Apologies for the coffee and fast food references--I knew as I was writing that that I'd be sorry! My point was just that less than $6/month for a yearly subscription is really not that much, if Evernote fits someone's needs well. Best of luck!