First line as title automatically

terence81

Idea

In the windows version, it is possible to add a note without typing the title - the first line becomes the note title automatically. This feature is painfully missing in the Android version. Please add it.

• Like 2

10 replies to this idea

It is very inconvenient in Evernote for Android as I can't just create notes as I go and expect their titles to update as I modify the first line. I have to create a special title with !!! at the beginning so it comes up at the top of my notes sorted by title. I then have to go into my Evernote for Windows and delete the Android-created title, which forces Evernote for Windows to then update automatically in future for first line changes (but still not in Android)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 8/15/2020 at 10:48 AM, Andy O said:

It is very inconvenient in Evernote for Android as I can't just create notes as I go and expect their titles to update as I modify the first line. I have to create a special title with !!! at the beginning so it comes up at the top of my notes sorted by title. I then have to go into my Evernote for Windows and delete the Android-created title, which forces Evernote for Windows to then update automatically in future for first line changes (but still not in Android)

If you're seeing calendar events in the title,  go to Settings > Note and untick that option.  You'll then get a note titled "untitled note" if you save with that data.  Windows still won't replace the title though...

On 8/17/2020 at 5:44 PM, gazumped said:

If you're seeing calendar events in the title,  go to Settings > Note and untick that option.  You'll then get a note titled "untitled note" if you save with that data.  Windows still won't replace the title though...

I know all that. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying this nearly 10 year old difference between Evernote Windows & Android means I have to "fix" every note I create on my smartphone later on by deleting the title line in Evernote Windows to make Evernote Windows automatically create a title using the first line of the note. And Evernote Android still won't update that title automatically if the first line changes...

I think we can assume by now after 10 years that Evernote don't give a stuff about it! 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Andy O said:

I think we can assume by now after 10 years that Evernote don't give a stuff about it! 

Since it took nearly a year for you to respond,  you don't seem too fussed by it either... 

Just for the record,  since last October Evernote apps for all platforms are now completely rewritten to (within the limits of each platform) provide exactly the same performance;  so what you can do on one,  you should be able to do on another.  Even if that's not the case,  it doesn't mean Evernote don't give a stuff - just that they have many other user priorities to address at the moment.

Nowadays we also have automation apps that can carry out a standard process quite quickly - like maybe duplicating the 1st line as a title or taking in some text and making it both the first line and the title.  In no particular order -and with no preference or prior knowledge- some of these apps are:

Actiondesk / API Fuse / Automate.io / Chronify / CloudHQ / Elastic.io / Filterize / Huginn / IFTTT / Integromat / LeadsBridge / Microsoft Flow / Piesync / Workato / Zapier

This issue doesn't affect me,  so I don't know how much help any of these might be - if,  after some research,  you find an answer please let us know.

First of all, the reason there was a year between my posts was that I hardly ever go on this discussion group. I do give a stuff, it's not a deal breaker, I can work around it but it is inconvenient. Evernote not fixing such a basic inconsistency between its different platform versions for so long does give an indication of its attitude to long standing problems & its long-time users. I don't appreciate your facetious attitude. Your response is incredibly defensive of Evernote - makes me think you must work for them? The second half of your reply is utterly unhelpful. As a non-techie I have no idea what you're on about. It seems far too complicated a solution to fix a problem that is just inconvenient. Actually I haven't updated my Evernote for Android since getting it with my new phone in 2019, after reading the really terrible reviews of the new versions every time I've been to Google Store since then. Apparently the latest (July 2021) Android version is now almost unusable, with uneditable "view only" notes etc.  So many 1-star reviews from long-time users. Very worrying 😞 So I'll stick with my working 2019 version for now, even with its lack of automatic title creation (which is insignificant compared to the problems many users seem to currently be having 😞) plus my more basic but working Evernote for Windows 5.8.3.6507 (2015), which doesn't have the recent cosmetic gimmicks but does seem to do the job at least. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Andy O said:

don't appreciate your facetious attitude. Your response is incredibly defensive of Evernote - makes me think you must work for them?

If you perceived any deliberately inappropriate humour or flippancy in my response I'm amazed,  and if you interpret a brief factual summary as incredibly defensive I have to disappoint you - I'm another Evernote user just like you.  I'm also keeping my head down and using pre-v10 versions of Evernote for Windows & Android while the current updates continue.  Despite the bad press there are signs that Evernote is getting its act together,  but there's no harm in continuing to use what you've been used to as long as it continues to serve your purpose.

Well, if you're "amazed" by my use of "facetious" & "defensive", try re-reading the first two paragraphs of your July 16th reply again slowly & carefully and maybe you'll be able to understand how your reply prompts those words. At the end of para 2 you seem to be directly speaking on behalf of Evernote, directly defending them. So I am a bit surprised that you have no connection with them.

I'm not going anywhere near any Evernote Android or Windows updates till the 1 & 2 star reviews largely disappear from Google Store. I want badly to be able to rely on Evernote as a secure note taking & storage app for my important information into the future. But if the performance of the updates doesn't improve then I'll eventually have to consider migrating to another secure system, such as Microsoft One Note maybe (don't know how good it is but at least Microsoft seems to stand behind it, and protection of information is ultimately the most critically important thing for me)

• Level 5

The „view only“ bug was fixed with EN mobile 10.13.1, which was a bugfixes-only release dedicated to solve this issue. We are now already on EN mobile 10.14 , in between was 10.13.2. Many users in the forum confirmed the view only bug was fixed for them with 10.13.1.

So if you post 22 hrs before this you still have the „view only“ bug, I assume you are meanwhile not keeping your client(s) current. Since EN is releasing a lot these days, it is easy to miss an update - so maybe you interrupt reading PlayStore reviews and forum opinions, upgrade and check whether the issue is now solved for you as well.

If you don’t update your clients, you simply freeze yourself into not getting any bugfixes (beside new features). I can understand it, but I am sorry I can’t take this position serious. It is like shooting in your own foot, and blaming the guy opposite of you for the pain.