Continuing progress - Behind the Scenes Home Edition

• Shane D. pinned and featured this topic

I very much like the video but the majority of the folks over at reddit/r/Evernote/ seem to be impatient and don't understand the delays at all:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Evernote/comments/hfd6yv/behind_the_scenes_at_en_at_home/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/Evernote/comments/hdwnfn/video_latest_ceo_product_update/

Evernote might want to address these things in an upcoming video.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 6/24/2020 at 7:28 PM, Andy Helms said:

The most important part of this video is Evernote's stance against racism.

The second most important part of this video is that that @Ian Small pronounces "been" like bean. 😳

IMHO it is lunacy in this day and age that he has to even take a stance. I couldn't care less what colour or creed someone is.

On 6/18/2020 at 6:05 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Today we’re following up Ian’s latest blog post with an update to our Behind the Scenes series where we go into greater detail about the work being done to move our rebuilt apps from Preview status to Beta release. 

We knew this video would be different—for one thing, we had to shoot and edit it from our homes as we continue to deal with COVID-19 pandemic. What we could not know was that in the days leading up to recording, long-simmering issues of systemic racism would come to the forefront of our social conscious, eclipsing even COVID-19 as matters of urgency and action. We chose to hold on to this video until we could publicly acknowledge the realities of the world around us. 

We're pleased to be able to share it with you now—it’s a valuable conversation if you want to know how we’re progressing with the new clients. 

And finally, one tidbit of good news: in the days since we recorded the video, our new iOS app has moved out of Preview and into Beta release.

Enjoy!

If you have any questions/feedback, please feel free to start a thread or reach out to me directly!

Waiting for a markdown editting tool.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:49 AM, rob24hrs said:

IMHO it is lunacy in this day and age that he has to even take a stance. I couldn't care less what colour or creed someone is.

I acknowledge that Evernote's user forum isn't designed to house discussions on racism and privilege, but I also can't be silent about something as important as this. In my opinion, it's lunacy in this day and age that every single company and person hasn't taken a stance against racism and white supremacy. What Ian did in this video is the bare minimum that anybody with a voice should be doing right now. Additionally, I am assuming that your intention behind "couldn't care less what colour or creed someone is" was well-meaning and designed to communicate that someone's race/ethnicity doesn't bother you. However, I want to share that these sentiments often contribute towards systemic racism or—in the very least—the privilege some groups have over others (even though that wasn't your intention, I assume). Not caring (or "not seeing") race/ethnicity is a way of dismissing part of someone's identity, suggesting their experiences aren't valued, refusing to acknowledge your own privilege, and often shutting down further conversations about racial injustice. In most parts of the world—and definitely in the United States, where Evernote is based—systematic racism is rampant; as a result, we must care if we want to move towards a more just and equitable society.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Andy Helms said:

... Evernote's user forum isn't designed to house discussions on racism and privilege ...

That would be my opinion; the forum is designed to discuss the Evernote product/service   
We should stay on topic

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all

this may not be the best place for my comments, bgut as usual EVernote make it impopssibole t actually talk to someone in support and we're channelled like sheep to where they want us to be, so if it is in teh wrong place, its En's fault,

I've just had a tab in my browser open up shopwing me a patheticlly basic video of how to use teh clipper. Why has this happened? Is the EN addon hijacking my browser in order to push some unwanted video into myplace? Are they using my equipment to display their marketing ***** to me without my consent?

If either is the place, all En crapoware will be uninstalled withing seconds of getting that confirmation. I actually avoid SW and companies that abuse like that .

If they're hijacking my browser, how and why did a tab open up and go to the En site?

Pink elephant. There is nothing wierd with the content of my post. It is true that my spelling is a bit erratic, that's because I just had my latest round of chemotherapy and I'm still a bit unable to concentrate or focus my eyes properly, and the dizziness is a bit problematic as well. Meanwhile my fine motor skills have been shot to pieces. What this means in case you can't work it out for yourself is that I can't coordinate my hand movements properly, so I hit the wrong keys, and when I try to check it, I have difficulty focusing on the screen, my brain wanders and I either forget where I was up to, or I simply can't find my place on the screen again. There's always the possibility of introducing new mistakes when I try to make corrections, which, because of the problems I just mentioned (did you get them first time, or should I explain them to you again?) don't always get noticed or corrected.

It was nice of you however to point the typos out. I must remember to take more care because, well some people are not very understanding. I was trying to hurry though because I needed to eat, and if I don't eat something every couple of hours... well, feeling nauseous is one thing but the actual vomiting and the risk of ulcers is worse. Mind you, I've got 30% chance of lasting 6 months so in all liklihood, long term, ulcerative degeneration of my mouth, stomach and GI tract isn't going to be much of a problem.

Although, as I said it was nice of you to point out my bad typo ridden post, did you have to be so totally judgemental and critical, not to mention rude and insulting as you did it? . I imagine you're always so quick to jump on such things without knowing any background. Nonetheless, thank you for reminding me how kind and special the vast majority of people I come across on a daily basis actually are.

Now, as for the rest of your especially eloquent and well considered post. I can't fault the logic or accuracy when you say:

"If you opened a video in your browser, you probably did it yourself."

In fact, I think we could be more certain because if _I_ did open a video... then I most certainly _did_ do it myself. Not "probably" as you say, but definitely, with 100% certainty. So, I've got cancer and I'm under the influence of some high end, heavy hitting drugs and I make (quite) a few typos.. what's your excuse for making that particularly asinine comment, failing to understand a logical construction, or of failing to proof read what you wrote? Hey, no worries, you don't have to answer, no one's perfect.

I am afraid I have to disabuse you though, of the notion that I am such a moron that I can open my browser, navigate to a website and load a video aimed at children and not remember it. How I'm supposed to do that when my typing is so bad is difficult to work out. Maybe there are people who are so stupid that they might do that, but I'm not one of them.

Now, as you obviously haven't come across the phenomenon I described, or don't understand it, why don't you move out of the way so you don't get in the way of anyone else who might understand? As for your suggestion that I "move on" there is a very good chance that I will indeed be doing that. Hopefully, I might see Christmas before I do, or should I say I might still be here, how much of Christmas I'll actually see, be able to focus on, and actually experience is a different matter. Thank you for your other excellent suggestion of uninstalling the software. I had forgotten what a hotbed of excellent advice this forum is. Fortunately, I haven't forgotten that I still have that option, and when the time comes I shall, if I'm able to, do precisely that. For the time being though, it still has some use because most of the time I'm unable to write things down or take notes, and if I did actually manage to do so, I probably wouldn't be able to understand them. More importantly perhaps, other people such as the funeral directors might not either.

Now, if you're wondering why this post has so few mistakes (any?) compared to the previous, I have to thank Anja, the 12 years old daughter of my neighbour who typed a lot of this post for me earlier. She volunteered so she could practice her English, although her English skills are quite perfect. Thanks are also due to Florence, my carer, who finished the typing in between all the other things she had to do tonight. I don't know what I'd do without them, but I guess it would be pretty unintelligible.

• Like 1

@JDish - I'm sorry to read about your current health conditions. In my years as an Evernote user, I've never seen the product "hijack" my browser to show me a video. I can't imagine how or why Evernote would do this, especially since it sounds like a help video and not a marketing video. It doesn't seem like there's any real motivation to showing a help/support video unprompted.

However, I can imagine how it would be easily to accidentally stumble upon a support video for the web clipper. For example, if you were using Evernote and clicked on the option for help/learning, it would have taken you into Evernote's web-based help center (in a new tab in your browser). There is an article on the web clipper specifically, which includes a video at the top. Based on your messages, I'm betting that you accidentally stumbled upon the help center and found your way to something that included a video on how to use the web clipper.

• Like 2

Andy : thanks. Your suggestion is plausible and of course possible, though I have no recollection of doing anything like you said.

On another note, would Admin close/lock my account here? I'm afraid I don't know how to ask directly, and Florence doesn't have the time to stumble around in the dark trying to find out (but I'd be willing to if I did have the time - Florence (he doesn't know I've inserted that)) I rather think that like myself, my account here has run it's course and also like myself, it can't serve any useful purpose. Many thanks.

1 hour ago, JDish said:

On another note, would Admin close/lock my account here?

I am not an admin, but here is an article on account deactivation/deletion: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314088-How-to-deactivate-your-Evernote-account

I have not encountered unwanted webpages using the web-clipper, but @Andy Helms gave a good explanation. If the issue persists, then you could uninstall/disable the web clipper while still using the main program.

Anyway, hope that you find love and peace in the folks around you. 

• Like 1

I finally caught up to this video and looking forward to the next. What struck me about this video is, as a Software Developer myself, that I saw all of the right constructs being put in place to support the evolution of Evernote towards the features I've been missing.

My subscription is about to expire and before I knew this work was being done I was looking elsewhere for my needs. One thing made me pause before pulling the trigger on joining another system: Evernote has been around what seems like forever and has a huge backing of users. From what I've seen through the videos I'm very impressed with the team. But I want to focus on Ian as well.

The person at the top of any given company helps determine the cadence and personality of the company. Ian strikes me as a servant leader, which is how I prefer to lead as well. He strikes me as the CEO that asks his team "What can I do to help you?" But more importantly, Ian is a person who cares about society and humans. I can tell based on the last few minutes of this video but also all throughout the other videos, in how he was with all of his team.

Ian, thank you for standing up for what is right in this world! I'm so happy to see so many in the tech industry take a stand against racism. Like you, I have no idea what it must be like to be black or brown in this country, and like you I want to do something about it. In my case, I will call out racism whenever I see it and I have two children that will do the same! 

One more thing, and I've written this elsewhere, but hopefully it'll get noticed here: Being a Software Developer by trade (iOS, macOS, NeXT, WebObjects (if you remember that! :)), I'm willing to dig a big deeper in logs, use utilities, open up iTerm, etc. as a beta tester (and yes I signed up). 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't have your patience Trebor68, the last update to the release version of Evernote was 12/12/19, I've signed up for the beta, but haven't received an invite, and that's been some time ago as well. 

Since I haven't seen/used the beta I'm really not sure what to expect concerning the future of Evernote. I've been using since 2008 when first available for the Mac. And at this point believe I'm ready to move on when my subscription is up next month, probably to Keep It at this point. 

I have concerns that the new version of Evernote will be Electron based and don't really desire to have that running on my Macs. There was a thread about this a while ago but with the changes made to the Forums those posts are no longer available (

) when I try to access those posts concerning Electron. Tried pasting the link but a message appeared stating "Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it."

It's been a good ride for the most part, but even with these video posts showing progress behind the scenes I have yet to see any myself and can't keep just hoping things work out.

Eight months without a public beta or any updates to the current release and my Console is full of Evernote related crashes concerning the recently updated Web Clipper. 

Process:               Appex [63654]
Path:                  /Applications/Evernote Web Clipper.app/Contents/PlugIns/Appex.appex/Contents/MacOS/Appex
Identifier:            com.evernote.web.clipper.extension
Version:               7.12.7 (40)

So best of luck to Evernote going forward. 

Thanks CalS, I know some mentioning Electron still exist, I did a search myself previously, but just can't locate the one I posted in. I see this when trying to access it, I did contact Shane:

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 5.42.45 PM.png

*Update, Shane clarified that the blocked forum post is part of the private preview forum, and only accessible to those participating in it. A participant mistakenly posted about the preview in the public forum.*

Edited by taden
Clarification about access to a forum.
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
On 6/18/2020 at 4:05 PM, Shane D. said:

Today we’re following up Ian’s latest blog post with an update to our Behind the Scenes series where we go into greater detail about the work being done to move our rebuilt apps from Preview status to Beta release. 

Shane and @Ian Small,

I hope you guys and the entire Evernote Team are doing well.

I have to say that I, and some of my colleagues, are getting very concerned about the health of Evernote.

Your "Behind The Scenes" series started out really well, and we had been receiving an update about once a month.  It has now been 3 months now since this last update, and nothing posted elsewhere.  You guys have been in re-development nearly two years now, so I think it is fair to expect some results to start showing up.  I know you don't like to share any type of projections, but I think your loyal fans and supporters deserve to hear from you now.

Can you at least give us a status by platform?  Which are in beta, and for how long?  And it would be great if you could give us at least a preliminary target for the next release.  We know full well that it won't be perfect, and may slip, but we need some indication from you.  IMO, it is better to give us some target now, rather than continue keeping us in the dark.

Best Regards,

JMichaelTX
Loyal Subscriber for 10+ years

• Like 5

Just noticed this nonsense shows how much time I spend ( waste) here.

To be clear -  I don't care because the colour of someones skin or the source of their genetics is of no concern to me. I take people as they are. You have not right to accuse me of :

On 6/28/2020 at 10:54 PM, Andy Helms said:

Not caring (or "not seeing") race/ethnicity ....dismissing part of someone's identity, suggesting their experiences aren't valued, refusing to acknowledge your own privilege, and often shutting down further conversations about racial injustice.

You do not know me;

....you have no idea of my views on life and society

....you have no knowledge of my background so can not comment on my "privilege " whatever that drivel means.

I think you need to have a word with yourself and take a look at your self. I don't have an issue with anyone but I also see no need for companies to start thumping the table about rights when any civilised person/company should be treating people equally without the need to declare they will/are doing so.

Evernote need to focus on fixing/improving Evernote for PAYING customers and stop playing politics.

If you want to talk about Evernote you are at the right place.

If you want to talk about "racial injustice" off you go to Twatter or Farcebook.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

Can you at least give us a status by platform?  Which are in beta, and for how long?  And it would be great if you could give us at least a preliminary target for the next release. 

Good idea. Many use EN cross platform to current planning and targets would be a great help when deciding to remain with EN or move on.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

...You guys have been in re-development nearly two years now, so I think it is fair to expect some results to start showing up.  I know you don't like to share any type of projections, but I think your loyal fans and supporters deserve to hear from you now.

Can you at least give us a status by platform?  Which are in beta, and for how long?  And it would be great if you could give us at least a preliminary target for the next release.  We know full well that it won't be perfect, and may slip, but we need some indication from you.  IMO, it is better to give us some target now, rather than continue keeping us in the dark.

I have to agree, unfortunately. Ultimately, I recognize that Evernote doesn't owe me (or any of us) anything and that I have no right to tell them how to run their business. I also understand and actually appreciate that Ian Small doesn't want to promise anything he can't be sure they can deliver. However, it's also a fairly common software business practice to provide their customers with a roadmap: what item's they have accepted for development and a generalized status of where each one is. I'm sure this is fairly unique, because they aren't really developing new features but are instead re-developing the software—but the total lack of transparency is very much against the grain in today's software development environment. As a diehard user and complete Evernote fanboy, even I am starting to feel uneasy...

I'm not coming here to threaten to leave Evernote if my demands are not met (like I said, none of us have any right to make any demand), and I'm not coming here to rage about how horrible the software is (because it's not). But, I am here to second @JMichaelTX's comments—it's also my opinion that providing some transparency would be better than keeping us in the dark.

• Like 5
  • Level 5*

It seems pretty well known (it's certainly being discussed on other well know internet discussion places) that there are beta clients being used on a number of platforms.

My guess is that they'll run betas till they are happy enough to release clients to the entire user base. Whilst they may have some sort of plan for this, it's really a how long is a piece of string question?

If you want to see where they are up to I suggest you apply to join one of the beta programs or just carry on using the software that again I'm guessing already works very well for you.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Metrodon said:

If you want to see where they are up to I suggest you apply to join one of the beta programs or just carry on using the software that again I'm guessing already works very well for you.

Or look at the current web version to get a good, or bad, idea of where things are going.  With all the chatter of normalizing the experience this may be a heads up.