Google drive synced "import folder" problem - duplicates generated

I have a desktop folder which is set to sync to GoogleDrive. (mostly .pdf files and some images).
I have now added the same folder to evernote WebClient as "import folder".
All the files from this folder are being synced twice to 'evernote' both client and browser version. (each file has a duplicate)
Google drive is not affected

Edited by DrSatish
clarity
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Sharing Evernote's Import Folder with another application can give unexpected results - it depends what the 'other' app does with files. Google Drive duplicates the file from the local folder to their web space and then updates both copies as and when changes are made.  When Evernote 'sees' a new version of the file in its workspace, it will create a new note.  In this case it appears that the file is automatically 'refreshed' by Google,  so appears as a new version to Evernote.  In addition,  an Import Folder will add those files to your account,  which itself syncs locally and online.

You currently have something like four copies of each file - 2 in Evernote, one in your local Google folder and one in Google Drive,  which is obviously a waste of storage space and involves a high risk of conflicting edits on one or more copies of the file.

Also: while Google will maintain both copies of its file up to date - so that changes on one will be reflected in another,  Evernote's copy is just a snapshot. Future changes will not be included unless made directly to the copy of the file stored in the note. (Editing Google's copy file may have generated new updates and thus these 'duplicate' notes).

I'd recommend that you decide which to use - Evernote or Google - and simply use one location to store your files.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DrSatish said:

I have now added the same folder to evernote WebClient as "import folder".

I don't remember the browser version having an import folder.  Is this the beta?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DrSatish said:

Desktop application - not in the browser... sorry for mistake

No problem.   Out of interest, what is the use case for this?

On 6/19/2020 at 5:56 PM, CalS said:

No problem.   Out of interest, what is the use case for this?

I find retrieval and view easy on Evernote for PDF's on the go (mobile). They look more organized.
A clerk keeps updating a (shared) folder on a google drive. I tried to sync it with Evernote Desktop application and 'hoped' to view the PDFs on the mobile phone. 

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, DrSatish said:

I find retrieval and view easy on Evernote for PDF's on the go (mobile). They look more organized.
A clerk keeps updating a (shared) folder on a google drive. I tried to sync it with Evernote Desktop application and 'hoped' to view the PDFs on the mobile phone. 

Thanks.  You could share a notebook with said clerk and they could deposit the PDFs there, if that helps.