Jumping to the latest created note

Hello,

I am using both Windows and Android versions of Evernote.

However, the one I use the most intensively is the Windows one to capture notes and links for both work and personal use.
One feature that I am terribly missing, and it's maybe because I don't know where to find it, is a quick way to jump to the latest note I have created.

Use case: I am looking at a random note in one of my notebooks; on a web page I capture a section in Evernote (I love this "§" shortcut for this), then in Evernote I need a way, a single button to click or a keyboard shortcut, that will always display the most recent note that I have created, in that case, the web page section I have capture, so I can review it and edit it right away.

How can I do that?

Cheers,
Christophe

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you sort the 'All Notes' view by Created Date (or by Updated Date) you'll see the latest note created (or edited).  You could set up a saved search for created:day and have that as a shortcut which would always take you to the notes created today - again sort in date order for fine tuning.  (In Windows you can set display order as part of the search process).

More search options here... How to use Evernote's advanced search syntax

• Thanks 1

Hi Christophe. I am here because of a related issue (posted separately as "How to focus most recent note in Note List with keyboard".

I use Mac OSX and am using Keyboard Maestro to create macros to do things that EN doesn't. I think AutoHotKeys is a similar app for Windows although I'm not sure how similar they are. When I take a webclipping using §, I bring up EN and refresh/sync, and it usually appears at the top of the note list (as per gazumped, you need to select sort by most recent updated). Good luck if you go the macro-app route.

Thanks - as always, when you do something everyday, you wonder why it's not a core obvious feature of the product:

- Evernote is used to create notes, why is there not a way to easily see the note you just created?

On Windows (10) there is another major annoyance, 80% of the time, when I press Ctrl+Alt+N to create a new note, the bloody window from EN is in my task bar instead of beeing in the middle of my screen with the focus so I can directly type my note in, instead I have to grab my mouse (so I must take my hands of the keyboard) and click on the new window to bring it on top and then only I can start to type. Again: I want easy ways to create my notes and to view them... 

• Level 5*
Just now, Christophe Gevrey said:

I am wondering why this is not the normal behaviour.

Oddly,  for lots of users (including me) this works just fine - I get new notes popping up ready with the cursor flashing in the title field (optioned that way) ready for entry.  There's another thread around here where we tried all sorts of tricks - logging out of the app just after creating a new note,  clearing cookies,  searching registries - but eventually came to the conclusion that it just works that way with some systems... 

Given the easy work-around I'd doubt it's high priority for Evernote to find/ fix - and they don't (usually) share what's in the pipeline anyway.

1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Oddly,  for lots of users (including me) this works just fine - I get new notes popping up ready with the cursor flashing in the title field (optioned that way) ready for entry.  There's another thread around here where we tried all sorts of tricks - logging out of the app just after creating a new note,  clearing cookies,  searching registries - but eventually came to the conclusion that it just works that way with some systems... 

Given the easy work-around I'd doubt it's high priority for Evernote to find/ fix - and they don't (usually) share what's in the pipeline anyway.

It works for me the second time. If I haven't used EN "for a while" then the new note is in the task bar. 2nd time it is right at its place, in the center of my scren.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, Christophe Gevrey said:

On Windows (10) there is another major annoyance, 80% of the time, when I press Ctrl+Alt+N to create a new note, the bloody window from EN is in my task bar instead of beeing in the middle of my screen with the focus so I can directly type my note in, instead I have to grab my mouse (so I must take my hands of the keyboard) and click on the new window to bring it on top and then only I can start to type. Again: I want easy ways to create my notes and to view them... 

Two monitor set up. 

1. If focus is in EN then either Ctrl+N or Ctrl+Alt+N opens a new note window on top. 
  2. If where the new note window was last positioned is covered by the EN window, the new note window opens on top. 
  3. If the last EN new note window is positioned on my second monitor then Ctrl+Alt+N opens the new note Window but it is hidden behind whatever is open on the second monitor. 

Moral of the story try positioning the new note window within the bounds of the EN window to see if this will open the new note window on top with focus in the body or title depending upon your settings.  Or Alt+tab per @gazumped.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, CalS said:

Moral of the story try positioning the new note window within the bounds of the EN window to see if this will open the new note window on top with focus in the body or title depending upon your settings.

Very clever! If only I could get it to work. In my Windows 7 setup, the new note always appears at the top left, outside the EN window. OTOH, though, it always opens on top. So maybe I need to save this for when I finally get around to updating to Windows 10, in which case I might have this problem.

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, Christophe Gevrey said:

I indeed have dual monitors. So that might be the reason.

I just dream to be more efficient/productive with my note taking.

Typically when I create a new note I seem to be mouse in hand so I click on the new note icon.  Using the icon seems to always open the new note on top.  Not sure why mouse in hand to be honest, use case I suppose.  🤷‍♂️ 

I guess if you use Ctrl+Alt+N from another program focus returns to that program after the note is created.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Very clever! If only I could get it to work. In my Windows 7 setup, the new note always appears at the top left, outside the EN window. OTOH, though, it always opens on top. So maybe I need to save this for when I finally get around to updating to Windows 10, in which case I might have this problem.

I find that if drag the new note window someplace else on the screen and close it there the next new note window will open in that spot.  Current Windows 10 Pro.

• Level 5
Just now, CalS said:

I find that if drag the new note window someplace else on the screen and close it there the next new note window will open in that spot.  Current Windows 10 Pro.

Hmm, maybe it really is a Win10 thing, maybe some kind of control or whatever that wasn't available under 7. It doesn't work that way for me. Ah well.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hmm, maybe it really is a Win10 thing, maybe some kind of control or whatever that wasn't available under 7. It doesn't work that way for me. Ah well.

Yeah, don't know the answer to that.  Win 10 does seem to remember the last position of an app window.  If I open file explorer on the left monitor, move it to the right monitor and then close the window the next time I open file explorer it will appear on the right monitor.  So it is kind of universal.  Got me. 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, CalS said:

Yeah, don't know the answer to that.  Win 10 does seem to remember the last position of an app window.  If I open file explorer on the left monitor, move it to the right monitor and then close the window the next time I open file explorer it will appear on the right monitor.  So it is kind of universal.  Got me. 

Same experience - I work on three screens (because I don't have room for four...) and my new notes pop up on the extreme right-hand one.  Occasionally I disconnect the laptop from this setup and then spend some minutes cursing as each new window opens 'somewhere else' on my original setup.  Windows key + arrows gets them back - and then dis-arranges my multi-screen setup for next time...   😏

• Haha 1