can I import notes to offline notebooks without syncing? (windows)

I have 15GB of exported notes and I want to get them offline preferably in a free account. This will free up my main account for use on a small SSD.

Can I import then enex files into the free account directly to offline notebook or move them to offline notebooks once they are in the windows app without having to sync.  TBH if it need to sync I dont see how this can be done in one sitting anyway if I have 15G notes but only 10G allowance so I'm hoping this can be done directly to offline notebooks.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, frank2 said:

I have 15GB of exported notes and I want to get them offline preferably in a free account. This will free up my main account for use on a small SSD.

Can I import then enex files into the free account directly to offline notebook or move them to offline notebooks once they are in the windows app without having to sync.  TBH if it need to sync I dont see how this can be done in one sitting anyway if I have 15G notes but only 10G allowance so I'm hoping this can be done directly to offline notebooks.

cheers

Uh, from your avatar you already have a free account so give it a go. After you import a notebook you are asked if you want the notebook to be local or not.  Easy test.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, frank2 said:

I have 15GB of exported notes and I want to get them offline preferably in a free account. This will free up my main account

Yes, create your free account and import the exported notes.     
On my Mac the default is a non-sync'd notebook (local)

>>for use on a small SSD

Is this significant?   
The notes are still stored on your SSD

29 minutes ago, CalS said:

After you import a notebook you are asked if you want the notebook to be local or not.  Easy test.

nope ... it didn't ask. It told me it would not sync notes over 25mb unless I upgraded but did it actually import that note? i dont know.

easy test but didnt give useful results.    I'll need to export a single large note then import it to the free account to see if it actually gets in there I guess.  If it does then sync is no problem in itself because it will just eat up the 60mb allowance and stop I guess.   The test will be if I can then move the notes offline.  I'll take a look later.

Thanks for your advice

btw can we delete posts? If so How?  Thanks

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yes, create your free account and import the exported notes.  The default is a non-sync'd notebook (local)

>>for use on a small SSD

Is this significant?

hmm it defaulted to online notebook from what I could tell and gave me a sync error message og large file. (edit.....my bad! it is indeed a local notebook - sorry)

The small ssd is significant yes because I'll need a smaller database.

38 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sorry, my experience is with a Mac    
Can you create the local notebook manually, and drag-n-drop the enex file

no my bad.... I edited my last post  . cheers

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, frank2 said:

I'll need to export a single large note then import it to the free account to see if it actually gets in there I guess.

Try using the Import Folder option under Tools.  Set up an Import Folder with a local notebook and move the ENEX to that folder. 

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, frank2 said:

btw can we delete posts? If so How?  Thanks

As a moderator I can hide it if you like.  Pretty much the same as deleting it as it can't be seen.

22 minutes ago, CalS said:

As a moderator I can hide it if you like.  Pretty much the same as deleting it as it can't be seen.

no it's fine for now I just had that problem with my 1st post and just wondered how to do it in the future. cheers.

as my posting ability is back I'll ask here now....

How do I see the size of a note?  I am concerned that notes over 25mb are being dropped from the import. I saw that  it stopped me from adding such a note directly and it is throwing me an no sync messge.after each import.  

edit..... just tried the import folder oftion but it only allows small files even into a local folder. It won't install enex file either (not surprisingly)

• Level 5

Please choose your wording: Offline notebooks are a feature of the mobile clients, in the desktops it is called "Local Notebook".

For local notebooks, the same restrictions apply as for the server based versions. So if you need larger notes, you need to go for Premium.

If you later reduce your account to Basic again (could be after just 1 month), you can still view larger notes, but you can't edit them any longer.

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Please choose your wording: Offline notebooks are a feature of the mobile clients, in the desktops it is called "Local Notebook".

For local notebooks, the same restrictions apply as for the server based versions. So if you need larger notes, you need to go for Premium.

If you later reduce your account to Basic again (could be after just 1 month), you can still view larger notes, but you can't edit them any longer.

thanks yeh I realised the offline/local thing after I'd written it. I keep calling them that and should know better doh!

I guess I cannot load any enex files then as it is likely they all will have some large files in them somewhere.

At least if I dont have to sync then I can load up the full 15GB in one month's premium instead of it needing two allowances. (I hope)

• Level 5*
On 6/15/2020 at 8:59 AM, PinkElephant said:

Offline notebooks are a feature of the mobile clients, in the desktops it is called "Local Notebook".

To clarify

Offline notebooks: The master version of notes is maintained on the Evernote servers
                                  A copy of the notes is loaded to the the device for offline access
                                  An option on mobile clients.  
                                  No option on the desktop clients - all notebooks are offline

Local notebooks: Also offline but notes are  not uploaded to the Evernote servers   
                                - the notes exist only on the specified device
                                An option on desktop clients

• Level 5*

Subscribe for a month.  Import your notes.  When the import is complete you should see the below.  Click on no.  Now all the notes should be in a local notebook.  Go to Side List view and sort by Size (add the column if it is not there).  Adjust sort sequence to get large notes on top of the list.  You may only need to subscribe for a month since all the notes will be placed in local notebooks.  You will not be able to do much with the large notes after you cancel the subscription.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.06b7788bd32ea643715e1556b4003e1f.png

Arrgghh! Evernote should have made this much easier and reliable.   There are far to many ways to fail and lose notes.

2 to mention are

1 when EN sees a note from the enex file that is too big for the current plan it just trashes that note and doesn't even record which note(s) got trashed.

2 Service center helped me out with some extra quota to get this done but some bugs somewhere caused sync errors   and ate up 13GB allowance  for 3GB of notes transferred. (btw I ended up needing to have them synced rather than keep local to my current comments are not totally aligned with the title of the thread.)   And also in  less than 3 or 4hrs.  How many  users have been able to claim 13GB of syncing in 3 hrs lol?

this  is really annoying because for the last 10 years I just assumed this would work! silly me!

Hopefully the service/tech guys n gals will be able to help me out and get it done though without serious loss of data. ....Fingers crossed!

36 minutes ago, frank2 said:

Hopefully the service/tech guys n gals will be able to help me out and get it done though without serious loss of data. ....Fingers crossed!

well it appears not. I've just received an email from service with the standard statement that premium allowance is 10GB per month. No comments on the error that evernote threw up nor the the fact that 3GB of notes can eat 10GB of data just by clicking the sync button.  I'm not even sure the guy even read my email properly or connected with what he wrote to me Yesterday.

I am wondering if someone else has picked up his ticket???  it has been my experience that with evernote it really depends on the person you actually get to respond. There is no clear standard of service. someone can be very helpful and bend over backwards for a customer one day and then a few hours/days later someone else can answer the same question with a ck U or equivalent.  (mods please let me know if I need to remove that ;-))

I hate that EN is so love/hate for me. It had all the signs of greatness in the early days ;-(

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, frank2 said:

this  is really annoying because for the last 10 years I just assumed this would work!

My motto re this stuff has become Trust but Verify.  EN is not the only app that has not quite hit the mark relative to my expectations be it a bug, misleading documentation, or my misunderstanding.   IAC, EN has had issues in the past with large ENEX imports, though I think those are fixed.  Nothing to do with subscription level though.

2 hours ago, CalS said:

My motto re this stuff has become Trust but Verify.  EN is not the only app that has not quite hit the mark relative to my expectations be it a bug, misleading documentation, or my misunderstanding.   IAC, EN has had issues in the past with large ENEX imports, though I think those are fixed.  Nothing to do with subscription level though.

well I just spend a ridiculous amount of time and energy on to their help chat.  and there solution.......I need to pay more money next month for more allowance.   I sent screenshots showing that desktop was showing 18GB used and nothing left (the total transfer of notes was 3gb) and then on the web version it is showing I still have 9.5GB left.   They are not interested. They saw it and still told me to pay more.

Well theyve gotten me truly hacked off now. I'm done with them .  10 years ago I evangelized for evernote  well now I'm making it my duty to evangelize against them.   I have my transcripts and screenshot and can show I've lost notes.  It is time for me to tell every avenue that will listen the real cost of doing business with evernote.

It just goes to show that they are happy for once happy PREMIUM customers to leave them. All the had to do was help me out with this migration.  ive been premium since 2011. theve had my money but for whatever reason dont want it any more.

I'M DISGUSTED.       

lets see how long they leave my comments for.   Go snagit!

edit I forgot to add...... but I'm on a rant so will continue.   

the original error which was quoted back to me by joyce the (no)help rep  was .... "I also understand that you're having sync issue and got the error: "due to system resources sync cannot continue notes too big". "

I provided her with the screen shot attched which shows my largest note to be 47.5MB.   My account was premiun.   One which planet does evernote get away with a 47.5MB file on a premium account being "TOO BIG"".  That in itself should prompt further investigation by them instead of "PAY MORE MONEY!"  so I pay more money and the same thing happens and I pay more money and the same thing happens.......   saw somewhere this was the definition of crazy!

rant over - ckem  

• Level 5*

Premium accounts have a 200 MB max note size.  So if you have a premium account there should not be an issue.  Your avatar and EN seem to think you are a Basic user.  If you are not I'm not sure where the issue is.

If you import the same 4 GB 3 times and put it in a synced notebook you will consume the monthly ration.  Maybe @Shane D. can help sort it.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, frank2 said:

I need to pay more money next month for more allowance.   I sent screenshots showing that desktop was showing 18GB used and nothing left

If you're using local notebooks there should be no impact to your monthly allowance

Just now, DTLow said:

If you're using local notebooks there should be no impact to your monthly allowance

sure..... I edited  a previous post to say that I needed to sync after all - I dont expect you to have seen it 😉

import into local was not an issue. until sync everything was fine. but I had an issue which need sync

12 minutes ago, CalS said:

Premium accounts have a 200 MB max note size.  So if you have a premium account there should not be an issue.  Your avatar and EN seem to think you are a Basic user.  If you are not I'm not sure where the issue is.

If you import the same 4 GB 3 times and put it in a synced notebook you will consume the monthly ration.  Maybe @Shane D. can help sort it.

so I'm a premium since 2011.  this account was setup to take the notes from my premium account because evernote was unuseable.   I wanted to start again on my premium with only the most useful notes. I would wait maybe upto 5 or 6 minutes for evernote to stop its circle and wake up to perform a search. its been going on for years and never solved it. so my last ditch attempt was to move the bulk and start afresh on paid.    Yes there are good reasons for keeping my original account rather than starting a new account for new notes.

and my avatar is with the new account because I forgot my old username as I havnt been here for a far time.

oh and yes premium accounts have 200mb max note size so there shouldn't be an issue.  but.... as I wrote even when she gave ME the error message she wasn't interested in investigating that.

To me it's simple.... something went wrong with sync and produced that message even though desktop reports max note size 47.5MB on that notebook.   That used up bandwitdh.  When I ran it again it used even more bandwidth  even though it didnt sync anything new..     This is a bug not an excuse to get me to pay money.   She want interested.   just kept posting the standard evenote stuff from the webpage like I was a non paying noob>.

15 minutes ago, frank2 said:

and my avatar is with the new account because I forgot my old username as I havnt been here for a far time.

just realised the forum account is not the new account im using.  Hlpdesk went ahead and setup on a different email so I used it instead.  but here is the proof of the premium and 18gb use for 3gb notes

premium2020-06-17_18-00-49.png

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, frank2 said:

so I'm a premium since 2011.  this account was setup to take the notes from my premium account because evernote was unuseable.   I wanted to start again on my premium with only the most useful notes. I would wait maybe upto 5 or 6 minutes for evernote to stop its circle and wake up to perform a search. its been going on for years and never solved it. so my last ditch attempt was to move the bulk and start afresh on paid.    Yes there are good reasons for keeping my original account rather than starting a new account for new notes.

oh and yes premium accounts have 200mb max note size so there shouldn't be an issue.  but.... as I wrote even when she gave ME the error message she wasn't interested in investigating that.

To me it's simple.... something went wrong with sync and produced that message even though desktop reports max note size 47.5MB on that notebook.   That used up bandwitdh.  When I ran it again it used even more bandwidth  even though it didnt sync anything new..     This is a bug not an excuse to get me to pay money.   She want interested.   just kept posting the standard evenote stuff from the webpage like I was a non paying noob>.

Thanks for the detail, I at last get it.  :blush:

12 minutes ago, CalS said:

Thanks for the detail, I at last get it.  :blush:

no worries lol. it was all too involved to start from scratch in the thread. I didnt expect it to go this way tbh but in hindsight after many years I should have.  The funny thing was that for the helpdesk I spelled everything out from the start. But I dont think she read any of it because she never GOT the issues.   I dont know who they are but I doubt they are employees. Even so it's ENs responsibility to ensure that they treat customers correctly else they get folk like me with a personal mission to spread the baaaaad word.     I will use a new evernote account to diligently organize my trashing!.    Sad I know and maybe not after Ive slept a bit but for mow I'm already 5 forums down!      

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, frank2 said:

no worries lol. it was all too involved to start from scratch in the thread. I didnt expect it to go this way tbh but in hindsight after many years I should have.  The funny thing was that for the helpdesk I spelled everything out from the start. But I dont think she read any of it because she never GOT the issues.   I dont know who they are but I doubt they are employees. Even so it's ENs responsibility to ensure that they treat customers correctly else they get folk like me with a personal mission to spread the baaaaad word.     I will use a new evernote account to diligently organize my trashing!.    Sad I know and maybe not after Ive slept a bit but for mow I'm already 5 forums down!      

I'd be five scotches down...

• Haha 1