Internal Evernote Links do not work properly anymore

ghon

Hi,

I use internal Evernote links extensively to organize my notes. Since today I noticed some small UI improvements, however:
When I click to my evernote links, I am redirected to wrong notes. This makes it impossible for me to use Evernote anymore in the way I was used to. In Evernote IOS and on the old Evernote Web client the links work correctly. 

Could you please correct this bug.
Thanks

• Level 5
On 6/12/2020 at 5:31 AM, ghon said:

Hi,

I use internal Evernote links extensively to organize my notes. Since today I noticed some small UI improvements, however:
When I click to my evernote links, I am redirected to wrong notes. This makes it impossible for me to use Evernote anymore in the way I was used to. In Evernote IOS and on the old Evernote Web client the links work correctly. 

Could you please correct this bug.
Thanks

Just FYI, these are mainly user-to-user forums, and not a venue for addressing Evernote directly. FWIW, I just checked one of my notes that functions as an organizing note, with links to several other notes, and all the links worked OK in the Web beta. I have v. 6.13.0 of the Web beta, and use it mostly in Opera. What browser and what version of the beta are you using (the version can be found by clicking your account initial in the top left corner)?

Thanks for the reply. I realized that afterwards and then I also opend a bug report with Evernote support.

The bug is tricky because it seems to appear the first time I click to a note. Then, the link jumps to the first note in the notebook (I think the new Web version (I refer to V6.13.0) made the change to show only the notes of the current notebook. In the "old" Web client, always all notes were shown.). The second time I click on the same note link, it still jumps to the first note of the notebook but then immediately the page reloads and the correct note is displayed.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
20 hours ago, ghon said:

Thanks for the reply. I realized that afterwards and then I also opend a bug report with Evernote support.

The bug is tricky because it seems to appear the first time I click to a note. Then, the link jumps to the first note in the notebook (I think the new Web version (I refer to V6.13.0) made the change to show only the notes of the current notebook. In the "old" Web client, always all notes were shown.). The second time I click on the same note link, it still jumps to the first note of the notebook but then immediately the page reloads and the correct note is displayed.

Very interesting. I just tested in my "index" note, and found that clicking on a link to a note outside the same notebook did go to the first note in that notebook, not to the target of the actual note link. The second time, it did go to the proper note, so very much as you report.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, charles22 said:

evernote reminders for web. Where and how to setup

Hi. You added your query to an existing (and different) thread - please repost if you have further issues. The short answer is: the version of the app you're looking at may not have an option to add reminders. Check settings (click your icon at top left) to change the web version.

I thought I had an issue as well with links not working, and in a sense, it remains true: the links do not always work. But the reason for that is that filters could interfere.

If I start a search with Tag:Today and one of the resulting notes includes an internal link to another evernote note, clicking on that  link *will not open the note* if the note does not respect the original filter (e.g., it is not tagged with "today").  This is so incredibly annoying!  Every time a link doesn't work, I have to open the page with the link in a new window, go to "All Notes" in the main window and then click on the link again in the page.  I hope this isn't a "feature".

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Good catch!  Does this apply in both desktop and new web versions?  Good/ bad news is the new web version is what we're getting next, so while a new release may not cure it, there's at least a chance they can fix this logic trap... 

The web version seems to work correctly.

I should stress that the problem occurs only when the page containing links is a result of a *search*. When picking a tag from the left panel, clicking on a link with one of the resulting pages works fine. When searching for the tag though (tag:sometag), then the links in resulting pages will not work unless the links refer to a page that includes "sometag".

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, lisec said:

only when the page containing links is a result of a *search*.

I'm sure I saw a post by @CalS confirming this recently - sounds like a bug anyways. Possible workaround -if you didn't already sort one out- would be to ToC the search results and then click links from there...

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, lisec said:

I should stress that the problem occurs only when the page containing links is a result of a *search*.

Really good catch!!!

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'm sure I saw a post by @CalS confirming this recently - sounds like a bug anyways.

Yeah, sounds like a bug to me as well.  My expectation would be that when I click on a note link that context changes.  I don't remember this behavior in the past, but who knows.  IAC, workaround for me is to open the link in its own window if the base note is in a search result (Shift+LeftMouse).  Or click on all notes and then the link.

• Like 1
On 6/15/2020 at 9:18 PM, ghon said:

Hi, I have also just noticed something similar.

It's pretty random, some internal links work sometimes,  some other not.

One thing: internal links created with a newest beta editor probably always works properly. Problems usually happen with the links created with a old/classic editor.

Hi,

the reported error can be reproced with the following procedure:

Create a new notebook called test.
Wthin the notebook test, create two notes: note1 and afterwards note2. Order the notes by most recent, so note2 would stay on top.
Make an internal link to note1. 
Create a new note in another folder, maybe called Evernote. Click  on the link to note1. You will be redirected to note2 and NOT to note1. 

I contacted Evernote support and was told that this bug will be fixed in one of the upcoming web client updates
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 6:19 PM, Kolmir said:

I can (unfortunately) confirm, that linking issues exist also in the newest 6.14 version...

In newest v. 6.15 I still have issues with internal links created with the old Win editor. New links created with preview/beta (since v. 6.12 if I remember correctly) are working properly.

Nevertheless, in old classic Win editor both old and new internal link works perfectly...

• Level 5
On 7/9/2020 at 6:23 PM, Kolmir said:

In newest v. 6.15 I still have issues with internal links created with the old Win editor. New links created with preview/beta (since v. 6.12 if I remember correctly) are working properly.

Nevertheless, in old classic Win editor both old and new internal link works perfectly...

I'm also on v. 6.15 now, and I can confirm this. Specifically: The Windows program can produce 2 different types of link: evernote.com/shard..., and evernote:///view.... The former links open properly in the Web beta, although in a new tab for some reason. It is the latter type of link that still opens first to the top note in the notebook rather than to the linked note; going back to the link and clicking again will send it to the proper note.

Based on exactly 1 test, so FWIW.

• Thanks 1
indeed, when creating links within V6.15 everything works as expected, so the issue is partially solved, however it remains with older links. I just replied to the person deadling with the initial support ticket with a slightly modified procedure where the bug can be reproduced:

Swith to OLD EVERNOTE WEB
Create a new notebook called test.
Wthin the notebook test, create two notes: note1 and afterwards note2. Order the notes by most recent, so note2 would stay on top.
Make an internal link to note1. 
Create a new note in another folder, maybe called Evernote.
SWITCH BACK TO EVERNOTE V6.15 (NEW EVERNOTE WEB)
Click  on the link to note1. You will be redirected to note2 and NOT to note1. 
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 7/21/2020 at 12:56 AM, laird said:

Is there a bug on this issue to track?

Hi.  That's the beta version of Evernote web - by definition it has limited functionality and is being upgraded over time.

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  That's the beta version of Evernote web - by definition it has limited functionality and is being upgraded over time.

Are you sure about the beta status?

It looks like that any labels, which mentions "preview" or "beta" were removed from the interface with v. 6.14 (or even 6.13). I can't find any beta mark at the current moment.

Moreover, I can't even find the Feedback button...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, Kolmir said:

Are you sure about the beta status?

It looks like that any labels, which mentions "preview" or "beta" were removed from the interface with v. 6.14 (or even 6.13). I can't find any beta mark at the current moment.

Moreover, I can't even find the Feedback button...

Ah.  Sorry - operating under a bit of a handicap here.  For some reason I seem doomed to the beta version at 5.33 - I don't have access to the new UI yet.  Might be a geographical thing (I'm in the UK). 

From previous comments on the Blog though I do still get the impression that Evernote are trialling new ideas here and we're still waiting for the final public release.  As a subscriber though you could contact Support to get some direct feedback...

• Like 1
On 7/23/2020 at 3:31 AM, gazumped said:

Ah.  Sorry - operating under a bit of a handicap here.  For some reason I seem doomed to the beta version at 5.33 - I don't have access to the new UI yet.  Might be a geographical thing (I'm in the UK). 

From previous comments on the Blog though I do still get the impression that Evernote are trialling new ideas here and we're still waiting for the final public release.  As a subscriber though you could contact Support to get some direct feedback...

Hi, have you tried to use different browser to enjoy versions 6 and above? Versions 6.xx were for a long time only available for Chrome...

Or have you signed for the Beta program?

Or just check in Settings - maybe there is an option to use newer ones waiting for you..?

image.png.18adb6dd254719d6b05b88242f76142a.png

Yep, I have already contacted Support for this.

I agree - they are testing new ideas - it's a good thing, but if there is no more a Beta label/mark, such ideas should work properly.

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

The new editor appears to have been promoted to production, at least in terms of branding as of v6.16. Perhaps they still haven't rolled it out to everyone, or perhaps your browser is impacting which version you are being offered.

It's now referred to as the "New Editor" in the bottom-right. Clicking on it gives the option to return to the "classic editor." In another part of the interface (the top-left where your account name and settings live) it's worded slightly differently. There is an option up there to "switch to older version of Evernote."

In both cases, clicking on either option generates a large pop-up discouraging the switch and asking why you want to go back to the old version. Clearly they are trying to push people to stay on the new editor and get feedback on any edge cases which still don't work well on the new editor.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Sorry - operating under a bit of a handicap here.  For some reason I seem doomed to the beta version at 5.33 - I don't have access to the new UI yet.  Might be a geographical thing (I'm in the UK). 

Also stuck at version 5.33 (Canada)   ☹️
Maybe @Shane D. can get us some help get us unstuck

• Like 1
On 7/21/2020 at 7:00 PM, gazumped said:

There's been consistent messaging to move forward.  I'm a Chrome user and my recollection is something to the effect that there were chrome bugs in the classic version that would not be fixed as all effort is on the new version.  If the new version is a beta and bugs are expected, it raises the issue of how we track the bugs that matter to us.

I took a quick look in Safari and it's running the new interface with version 5.3.3 so I'm guessing the v6 is a chrome version and is not user selectable.  I do not see the error on Safari.

Thanks, Alan

• Like 2

I just realized that Evernote Web Version 6.17.0 ist now available. I am very pleased to report that the bug seems resolved, all the links I clicked pointed to the correct note.

Many thanks to the Evernote bug fixing team for finally resolving this issue!