Firefox private browsing

Hi,

As of today, I can't anymore use the new version of Evernote web. When I got to https://www.evernote.com/client/web, I land on a page saying that "Evernote doesn’t support Private Browsing in Firefox" and I'm forced to downgrade to older version (or use normal mode or use Chrome, but none of these are options for me).

After having played with the nice and intuitive new UI, it is very unpleasant to get back to the buggy old version...

So, why is Evernote claiming that private mode is not supported in new version whereas I've successfully used it for weeks? It does work! Like a charm!

Does anyone know if this is supposed to last for long or just temporary?

Regards

Gilles

I also wanted to open a thread for the same problem. What difference is there between incognito mode in Firefox and Chrome? It's inconvenient to have to use a different browser just for Evernote

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, saverio said:

I also wanted to open a thread for the same problem. What difference is there between incognito mode in Firefox and Chrome? It's inconvenient to have to use a different browser just for Evernote

Hi.  Might be helpful to open a ticket with Support - they may find your logs helpful in resolving how and where this difference arises.  As to your query - AFAIK beyond the fact they're different products,  coded by different teams... I have no clue.

• Level 5

Since Firefox is from a foundation concerned with data privacy (as is Opera), and Chrome is (well ...) from Google, FF in general is handling privacy much stricter than Chrome does.

It goes somewhat against the idea of private mode to use an app that relies on cookies like EN. I am not sure, but probably there is a way to temporarily allow for cookies even when in private mode - maybe hidden in the browser settings. You could play with the settings in the browsers Privacy & Security tab.

• Level 5

P.S. Just gave it a try on my Mac, FF 77.0.1, in a new private window.

The problem is related to the combination of the NEW EN web client an Firefox. With the old web client, it is working.

So no need to switch browsers, just switch to the old EN web client when on Firefox in private mode.

11 hours ago, gazumped said:

Might be helpful to open a ticket with Support

That was my first intention but I only found these forums...

Is there a bug tracker or something where I can report problems ?

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It goes somewhat against the idea of private mode to use an app that relies on cookies like EN.

Cookies ARE handled by the browser in private mode. They're just "forgotten" when you close the window. Private mode is pretty much the same as normal mode except that there is a better isolation (cookies, sessions, etc are not shared across browser windows) and nothing persists when you close the private browsing window.

Regarding Evernote, it certainly uses cookies as most web sites and applications do. And there is probably no privacy concern with this. But it can't "rely" on cookies because it goes somewhat against the idea of what cookies are. Just imagine you open an Evernote session on someone else computer or on a brand new computer. There is no cookie yet and yet Evernote does work. This situation is quite the same as the beginning of a private session.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

So no need to switch browsers, just switch to the old EN web client when on Firefox in private mode.

As I said when I opened this thread, switching back to old version is a workaround but it is very frustrating.

I've used the new version of the web client for weeks. I found it much more usable, especially for rich text formatting (I use it a lot). I used the new version under Firefox, always in private mode and I didn't noticed any problem. That's why the decision of excluding firefox users is disappointing.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, gbassiere said:

But sadly.. while if you need help on a technical issue, we users can offer advice from our collective experience,  Evernote support is available only for subscribers via the website link.  Everyone else gets access on Twitter @EvernoteHelps or via the Facebook community.

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

But sadly.. while if you need help on a technical issue, we users can offer advice from our collective experience,  Evernote support is available only for subscribers via the website link.  Everyone else gets access on Twitter @EvernoteHelps or via the Facebook community.

Thanks you gazumped for the explanation. In the meantime, I realized by myself that I can't report problems with my basic account... And I don't have Twitter nor Facebook account, I'm stuck!

If anyone with a premium/business account feels like attracting Evernote staff attention on this issue, please submit a ticket!

• Level 5

Submitting a ticket IMHO makes no sense. The new client is still sort of a beta, with known restrictions. EN is aware of these, as the dialogue box shows. Issuing a ticket will not result in an action to fix the FF problem.

This is why they keep the old client online.

• Level 5
18 hours ago, gbassiere said:

Thanks you gazumped for the explanation. In the meantime, I realized by myself that I can't report problems with my basic account... And I don't have Twitter nor Facebook account, I'm stuck!

If anyone with a premium/business account feels like attracting Evernote staff attention on this issue, please submit a ticket!

Let me suggest reporting the problem by using the Feedback button in the bottom right of the Web beta. Obviously you would have to do this temporarily in a non-private Firefox window, or in a different browser.