Can't edit the URL of a copy-pasted external link

I can't edit (or remove) external links, that I copy-paste to Evernote for Android. For example : anchor text .
On Android, apps don't give you a lot of control. So sometimes I need Evernote to have the power of a simple text editor, that will show me the difference between the claimed link e.g. http://foo.bar/foo and the real link, e.g. http://foo.bar/foo?your&name&address.
When I paste a link inside an Evernote note, all I see is the anchor text. I can edit only the anchor text (title of the link), not the URL. When I long press on a link, I get the android menu : cut, copy, paste, select all, dictionary, translate. I looked in all menus, there's no option to edit or remove the link, like on the Windows app (Ctrl+K).
So when I don't have a computer, I'm stuck.

This is my 1st post, I don't know if it's a bug, a feature request or a simple "how to" for something that exists and works well but that I didn't find. I searched extensively, I didn't find an answer.
Thanks.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, StéphaneDeFrance said:

I can't edit (or remove) external links, that I copy-paste to Evernote for Android. For example : anchor text .
On Android, apps don't give you a lot of control. So sometimes I need Evernote to have the power of a simple text editor, that will show me the difference between the claimed link e.g. http://foo.bar/foo and the real link, e.g. http://foo.bar/foo?your&name&address.
When I paste a link inside an Evernote note, all I see is the anchor text. I can edit only the anchor text (title of the link), not the URL. When I long press on a link, I get the android menu : cut, copy, paste, select all, dictionary, translate. I looked in all menus, there's no option to edit or remove the link, like on the Windows app (Ctrl+K).
So when I don't have a computer, I'm stuck.

This is my 1st post, I don't know if it's a bug, a feature request or a simple "how to" for something that exists and works well but that I didn't find. I searched extensively, I didn't find an answer.
Thanks.

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I'm afraid "this is how it works in Evernote for Android" is the answer. It just doesn't give access to the underlying URL. The ability to create a link with the URL concealed behind anchor text in this app (sort of the inverse of what you're trying) is a long-standing feature request, but not yet implemented.

Some apps, when you select a link to copy to the clipboard, offer options to "copy link text" and "copy link address," and the latter option would get you the URL. But that's no help with other apps that don't show that option. I presume you're trying to check links before actually opening them in a browser, where of course you'd see the URL. I don't think Evernote will be the tool for this particular job.

• Like 2
On 6/11/2020 at 6:11 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Thanks! (also to all) and for a clear and interesting answer. (sorry I had to leave for a few days)
  Maybe Android's design is to blame, as this function is said to be non-trivial in the built-in text editor. I guess that it's not at all in Google's interest to allow users to easily tell the difference between anchor text (especially when it's a fake short URL) and the real URL (often very long), as tracking is their business model.

Most importantly, you guessed right, all I want is to clean URLs of the tracking parameters, on desktop I'm used to opening a notepad, and on Android, Evernote is my favorite notepad. But I never thought of your simple idea, to cut the URL and paste it in my browser's address bar, and clean it there. I just double checked, it works!

• Like 1