Limit on number of notes per notebook?

Go to solution Solved by DTLow,

• Level 5

No, there is no limit on the number of notes per notebook.

The limitations are (depending on the plan I am in) the maximum size of the Note, and the Upload in general.

Good practice is to use only a reduced number of notebooks, and a higher number of tags for the logical organisation. This stands as well for the number of notes not being restricted, 

Thank you, DTLow and PinkElephant.  DTLow, thanks for the link.  I'm at 14,400, and contemplating severely reducing the number of notebooks I have -- perhaps even down to one.  PinkElephant.... thanks for the thoughts about good practice.  I go back and forth  on the notebooks-vs-tags debate.  But then again, I once took an online personality quiz and when I got to the question "Are you decisive?" I stared at the question for at least a full two minutes, unable to decide how to answer. Haha! 

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

You may have heard about the horse that starved to death between two haystacks, because it could not decide which to attack first.

In one of my former lifes I went through officers training at the German army. I learned one thing there: Better a wrong decision than no decision ! So in case, grab a coin, assign each option to one of the coin’s faces, and up it goes.

Spoiler: After you have with full respect to the way of fate seen the outcome, you can still decide to switch to the alternative. But not to flip it again !

Luckyly it is easy in EN to swap between notebook and tag focus: You can assign a special tag to a number of notes, select them all and move them into a new notebook. Or you can tag all notes in a notebook with a new tag, move them elsewhere and delete the notebook. If on a desktop client that allows for multiple note operation, it is done in a matter of minutes.

• Level 5*

Late to the party, but just to add to the options on offer - after several years of trying out Tags (couldn't remember what tags to apply to which notes),  Notebooks (does that note go into the expenses notebook, or the car notebook...  or car with an expenses tag / expenses with a car tag...) I stayed with searching intitle:<term> for some time: I used a standard title format - <date>(of the document/ event) - type (letter / receipt / email) - source (who originated the thing) - keywords (anything else I could think of).  Then, because I realised that if I wanted to check on the latest Amazon purchase I'd always search for 'Amazon' (obvs) and put the results into title order (to sort by date),  I started creating notebooks for each 'source' (Amazon in this case) and set the notebook sort order to 'title' so I can automatically find the latest event in any project, email thread or transaction - which is usually what I'm looking for.

Surprisingly (well it was, to me) I only have around 200 notebooks - though I'm still adding to that total slowly - and where I have conflicts I can create a Table of Contents note (for the 'expenses tag forinstance) and give that a notebook of its own.  I use Filterize to maintain those ToC notes,  as well as my to-do priorities.  My tired brain is much happier that I now file by the source of each item of data,  which is (usually) not a difficult choice;  and any conflicts are solved by tags which are used for cross-referencing with other notebooks.

I'm confident enough of the system that Gmail (my mail client) is now fowarding and deleting some emails direct to Evernote and Filterize is automatically sending them to the correct notebook with any necessary tags.  I use All Mail on my Evernote account to check what's happened today,  and my (updated) to do lists to sort out my workload.

It works for me...  mostly...  ^_^

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I started creating notebooks for each 'source'

Instead of creating a tag for each 'source'   
Is there really a difference?

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Instead of creating a tag for each 'source'   

Search I suppose.  

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Then, because I realised that if I wanted to check on the latest Amazon purchase I'd always search for 'Amazon' (obvs) and put the results into title order (to sort by date),  I started creating notebooks for each 'source' (Amazon in this case)

Horses for courses as always.  I use an Amazon tag specifically for the above.  I use a phrase express hot key in my email client which adds purchase date, notebook, the tags receipt amazon _2020 !lm, and leaves a space for me to type in the item.  I have another hotkey for things not Amazon.  Added the !lm tag recently as in these trying times I am getting most stuff via post.  the tag !lm is in the shortcut bar and I've it's original use was for tracking left messages.  It serves nicely in double duty for all outstanding parcels.  Search is sorted by created date.  Fits my eye.  I fought the urge to spell check realised.  :P  FWIW.

Image.png.fadf6db9890e4bda9ea2b23ee011527e.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

For me it is still few notebooks, and organisation by tags.

In most cases when I create a notebook, it is for temporary use, like for sharing certain notes with others. Usually I create a copy of the notes, leaving the original ones in their place. When the share has run its course, I withdraw the share and then delete the duplicates together with the ex-shared notebook.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

I used a standard title format - <date>(of the document/ event) - type (letter / receipt / email) - source (who originated the thing) - keywords (anything else I could think of). ..

47 minutes ago, CalS said:

I use a phrase express hot key in my email client which adds purchase date, notebook, the tags receipt amazon _2020 !lm, and leaves a space for me to type in the item. 

I use a script on my Mac to assign the note title with a standard of   
subject-date note-type [detail] keywords $   
and reminder feature for delivery date/status
- keywords are also note tags

example  2020-06-08 Receipt [Pens] ?Vendor-Amazon !Budget-Office $8.98

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use a script on my Mac to assign the note title with a standard of   
subject-date note-type [detail] keywords $   
and reminder feature for delivery date/status
- keywords are also note tags

example  2020-06-08 Receipt [Pens] ?Vendor-Amazon !Budget-Office $8.98

Personal preference, I tend not to put structure in note titles.  Only add dates to receipts and statements.  Use tags for the searching.  Typical note looks like the below upon arriving in EN.  The !LM tag is removed when the product is received.

ScreenClip.png.f495aedca14200392b841425542aa3cd.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Usually I create a copy of the notes, leaving the original ones in their place.

No copies, I adjust the notebook of the original note   
I don't really have a concept of the note's "place"

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Just on that point - Notebooks are 'above' tags in the left panel; quicker (less far) to scroll down to that list and pick one item. Plus the tags list would be much longer if 'source' was added there - I have additional qualifiers that make the tags list (without sources) longer than the notebooks list.  All down to laziness and (ahem) "efficiency".... ^_^