Clickable Hashtags for search and grouping

bo12

Idea

Dropbox Paper has it working brilliantly: 

From doco:

How to use hashtags as labels for search
You can make search more powerful by using hashtags in your docs. Hashtags are clickable within a doc and you can use search to find all docs within your company that contain the same hashtag.
For example, type "#dogs" anywhere in your document. Then, to use this hashtag in search, type the hashtag and keyword (in this case "#dogs"). The results show all accessible docs containing that hashtag.

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, bo12 said:

For example, type "#dogs" anywhere in your document. Then, to use this hashtag in search, type the hashtag and keyword (in this case "#dogs"). The results show all accessible docs containing that hashtag.

Keyword search works well in Evernote  
I use tag_sample   inserted anywhere in my note contents or attachments  

# is a problem    
Evernote's search indexing excludes special characters, except for underscore

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use tag_sample   inserted anywhere in my note contents or attachments  

Evernote's search indexing excludes special characters, except for underscore

so you are saying if I include “tag_tagname1” In my note or a document I will be able to find this note when I search “tagname1” tag? Or does it just mean this gets bumped in relevancy score in search? How quickly does Evernote re-index notes?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, bo12 said:

so you are saying if I include “tag_tagname1” In my note or a document I will be able to find this note when I search “tagname1” tag?

Confirmed    
The search would be for text   tag_tagname1

That’s very helpful! Thanks

searching for tag_tagname1 found and even highlighted the hashtag within text. 

the last step is to make this a UI element to make traversing related notes easily. It’s like walking along a web in a mind map

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, bo12 said:

the last step is to make this a UI element

I use scripting on a Mac (Applescript)   
I want a set list of keywords (retrieved from the tag table)

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I use scripting on a Mac (Applescript)   

Is it possible to create a tag hierarchy? How can apple script help me traverse through without having to search for the next tag?

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, bo12 said:

Is it possible to create a tag hierarchy?

Tag hierarchy is an Evernote feature on selected platforms - the screenshot is from my Mac   777056443_ScreenShot2020-06-02at2_47_24PM.png.0b7b2b9fc5f95ef711b20b93b30e7320.png       

>>How can apple script help me traverse through without having to search for the next tag?

I use a script to access tags
I prefer a drill down process instead of a tree
For example, my first tag window shows top level tags
                   1108029475_ScreenShot2020-06-02at2_30_15PM.png.ae718d38876f4dfc725de122c9b8903b.png  

Actually my first tag assignment for notes is note type
                     129316123_ScreenShot2020-06-02at2_33_00PM.png.a9c59f1fb9bbda41e2de62e3479dce2c.png

The note type drives further tags, for example Receipt notes are assigned tags for vendor and budget

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, bo12 said:

Just came across this service that allows to create link different notes ...

Evernote has no problem linking notes   
with hyperlinks or tags, but only at the note level 

RomeResearch is more selective in that links/tags can be applied to blocks within the note contents     
I also like the [[link/tag]] UI

Yep but the Evernote UI does not support easily linking notes. Even the new beta UI does not. Its takes quite a few clicks to link pages. Its almost not worth it. There is no UI elements for hashtags. Evernote is document level. Roam research is block level with version control, and allows you to generate a concept map from your notes. Like what https://www.thebrain.com/ does, but in a less clunky way