Jump to content
Jopo Kyvik

Using web clipper to save PDF's, will it stay if the website changes or is deleted?

Recommended Posts

Hi, I am university student who gets my lectures from the teaching platform Blackboard, where I use the web clipper to save the teachers notes as PDF's into Evernote. I noticed that the original links are still apparent in the notes containing the PDF's I saved, and was wondering if the PDF is linked to the original site where I saved the content from. Next year I might not have access to these classes which contains these links, since I may only see the content from the current year. Im not sure what happens to the original sites then, but if they are deleted, will the PDF's I have saved stay the same or will the also be deleted? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Jopo Kyvik said:

I noticed that the original links are still apparent

Evernote saves all the page content elements, but does not go deeper into the hyperlinks   
The content will not be available if deleted on the web

Share this post


Link to post

If it is saved as an attachment, it will stay. In this case it is like any file you put into EN.

If it is saved as a link to the pdf, it depends on the pdf still being available at the source web site.

My screen shot shows an attachment (created by a web download), that will stay no matter what happens to the source.

2038716091_Bildschirmfoto2020-06-03um01_35_53.thumb.png.eab53e8f76d4cdbaf37486692682ffcc.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, Jopo Kyvik said:

Hi, I am university student who gets my lectures from the teaching platform Blackboard, where I use the web clipper to save the teachers notes as PDF's into Evernote. I noticed that the original links are still apparent in the notes containing the PDF's I saved, and was wondering if the PDF is linked to the original site where I saved the content from. Next year I might not have access to these classes which contains these links, since I may only see the content from the current year. Im not sure what happens to the original sites then, but if they are deleted, will the PDF's I have saved stay the same or will the also be deleted? 
 

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I would recommend contacting your university's IT department to ask whether Blackboard content is preserved from year to year, and can be accessed later. I'm a retired professor, and I'm sure that different universities may have different policies on this, and even if the university archives the notes, individual professors might choose not to do so. Someone at the university should be able to give you some information about this.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/3/2020 at 1:36 AM, PinkElephant said:

My screen shot shows an attachment (created by a web download), that will stay no matter what happens to the source.

1120320242_Evernotepdflinkexample.thumb.JPG.a62c823734a8daccbd3ce9beb9511e8c.JPG

This is an example of a file I have clipped as a pdf with the web clipper, is this counting as an attachment, or is this connected to the original link? I highlighted the link in yellow. 

And thank you Dave for the welcome and good suggestion. I will ask the IT department right when they open tomorrow!

22 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I would recommend contacting your university's IT department to ask whether Blackboard content is preserved from year to year, and can be accessed later. I'm a retired professor, and I'm sure that different universities may have different policies on this, and even if the university archives the notes, individual professors might choose not to do so. Someone at the university should be able to give you some information about this.

 

Share this post


Link to post

When you go to the top of the document, and you see what I have encircled in the picture, it is a file of its own. If not, it may be just a link.

The file shown in my example was clipped by the web clippers pdf clipping function, so it still shows the link it was taken from (www.ipv.de). But it is a file attachment.

1155877541_Bildschirmfoto2020-06-05um00_49_39.thumb.png.c8c6f9d242cbbf51d54dc99dc7795581.png

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...