Scan in iOS App to generate a PDF in a new note needed, not PNG

Hi, i really miss the feature in the iOS app, that i can change the format my scan´s will look like in Evernote. In most cases you use it in business matters a pdf might be the most flexible one, sometimes the png or jpg is working too. But for sure not only.   If you scan it actually with evernote, you allways have a png.  To change it to PDF it´s an intense process! 
Evernote himself has an external app with Scannable, that makes this perfect. Why is this not posible with the integrated scanning tool, that looks quite the same, but can´t do PDFs?

Thanks, Best,
Markus

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mbesch said:

Evernote himself has an external app with Scannable, that makes this perfect.

Personally I'm satisfied using the Scannable app for scanning documents   
I use the integrated camera feature for single images

• Like 1
On 6/2/2020 at 4:16 PM, DTLow said:

Personally I'm satisfied using the Scannable app for scanning documents   
I use the integrated camera feature for single images

DTLow,

why should we use additional applications to get a function that seems to very foundational?

At least I was not aware of this opportunity with this extra APP, but I will try it. Thanks a lot for this hint.

BR,

Holg

• Level 5

Using ScannerPro, can create jpeg (1-page) or pdf.

A big plus is that there are workflows to import scans into EN. In the workflow you specify the notebook and the standard tags to use, and it creates the note. Saves work later. And it makes use of the 2x-camera of my 11Pro, which means I can move farther away and don't cast a shadow on the document with my own phone.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Holg said:

why should we use additional applications to get a function that seems to very foundational?

The question of "foundational" can be debated

I see a benefit of Evernote dividing functionality instead of having a single bloated app

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I use the Camera in EN, Scannable and sometimes Office Lens.  Office lens has a benefit of squaring the resultant image up if a document is shot at an angle, remove the keystone effect in essence.  Scannable does this, but not always.  But it takes a few more presses to get it to EN.  FWIW.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Scanner Pro has the automatic keystone correction as well, and it works well if the document is placed on a contrasting surface. If not, it can be set manually. What I miss in Office Lens (among other functions) is local OCR. I OCR my documents locally, because it gives good results and makes pdfs usable between platforms. If the OCR is done when the pdf is created, it will be embedded into the pdf File.

If the OCR is done by EN on the server, it does only exist while the pdf is in EN. It does not move with the pdf file, if it is taken to other applications. 

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Scanner Pro has the automatic keystone correction as well, and it works well if the document is placed on a contrasting surface. If not, it can be set manually. What I miss in Office Lens (among other functions) is local OCR. I OCR my documents locally, because it gives good results and makes pdfs usable between platforms. If the OCR is done when the pdf is created, it will be embedded into the pdf File.

If the OCR is done by EN on the server, it does only exist while the pdf is in EN. It does not move with the pdf file, if it is taken to other applications. 

I agree that local OCR does a better job than the server, I've used Adobe and Nitro.  Not sure, but when you add a note via the share icon it passes through the server before it gets to the desktop and arrives with the index built, or shortly thereafter.  I don't know enough about the plumbing of a PDF file to actually look, not that motivated to look either.  :huh:

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

OCR

OCR wasn't mentioned by the OP, but it is an important point   
Unlike images, PDF format can store OCR data

>>If the OCR is done by EN on the server, it does only exist while the pdf is in EN.

Good point, Evernote does not update the PDF with the OCR data   
The data is stored in a hidden text file for search indexing