(Archived) Offline browsing is too hard

As someone who typically uses Evernote on an iPhone, and often finds myself in areas of little / poor 3G coverage ...

- It's really annoying that I can''t set Evernote to locally cache all text (or all) notes, automatically

- It's really annoying that I can't set notes to be (& force them to remain) plain text, rather than getting the daft 'append / replace' message every time I want to save anything

- It's really annoying that there's not a clear indication on Evernote for Mac / Web as to whether a note is plain text, and a simple way to force it to be / remain plain text

I like Evernote, but it seems like some real fundamentals of mobile notes have not been grasped. People have been complaining about this as long as I've been using Evernote, but nothing seems to have been done to resolve them; more flashy features like text recognition seems to be where the attention is, rather than getting the basics right. In that regard, Evernote hasn't yet caught up to the original Palm 'Memo' application ...

Regarding your first point, you can enable offline notebooks:

http://blog.evernote.com/2009/12/23/hug ... -and-more/

We would love to have rich text editing on the iPhone/iPad. iOS doesn't let us use the rich text editor built into the device, and there are no great third-party alternatives, so building our own will be a big project.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Yes yes yes and yes

Bravo syrolway ! I am even thinking to move away from Evernote as these 3 MAIN BASIC features are ABSOLUTELY necessary for a mobile app !!!!

Much much More of all : it is incredible That a said "mobile app" works ONLY when the web is available...

And a suggestion : i don't understand Why only your. Evernote iPhone app refuses rich text : ALL the other iphone apps are accepting it !

I acknowledge syrolway to have kept a good mood when writing you... It is difficult to keep being polite when trying to use Evernote In this crazy way !

• 2 weeks later...

I am really very very unhappy of the unfairness of evernote... At the end of this post, I propose something to get out out of such an unfairness...

It concernes the off-line browsing.

I FULLY and TOTALLY disagree with your offer of going to premium to have the off-line browsing.

This is ABSOLUTELY UNFAIR from evernote, as all of us we are going in places out of coverage... in any long distance travel for instance where sorting notes is a good way of going through travel time...

Then that means that I HAVE to buy evernote to have a reasonnable basic use....

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNFAIR.

If I was buying premium, I would use it only for this offline browsing, which should ABSOLUTELY be free...

I have made some advertising for evernotes to friends... All of them are going out of evernotes because of this fully unfair offer.

With premium, You ask me to pay the price of a big app EVERY YEAR... And after a few year, I would have paid the price of MS Office, for much much MUCH less than office !

The solution :

The best fairness from would be to offer this off-line browsing for free... And you want absolutely to make money, someting like 6 $ a year for ONLY that feature could be OK... But in such case, I keep expecting and looking after another offer, which wouldn't be so unfair....

No thanks !

I am really very very unhappy of the unfairness of evernote... At the end of this post, I propose something to get out out of such an unfairness...

It concernes the off-line browsing.

I FULLY and TOTALLY disagree with your offer of going to premium to have the off-line browsing.

This is ABSOLUTELY UNFAIR from evernote, as all of us we are going in places out of coverage... in any long distance travel for instance where sorting notes is a good way of going through travel time...

Then that means that I HAVE to buy evernote to have a reasonnable basic use....

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNFAIR.

If I was buying premium, I would use it only for this offline browsing, which should ABSOLUTELY be free...

I have made some advertising for evernotes to friends... All of them are going out of evernotes because of this fully unfair offer.

With premium, You ask me to pay the price of a big app EVERY YEAR... And after a few year, I would have paid the price of MS Office, for much much MUCH less than office !

The solution :

The best fairness from would be to offer this off-line browsing for free... And you want absolutely to make money, someting like 6 $ a year for ONLY that feature could be OK... But in such case, I keep expecting and looking after another offer, which wouldn't be so unfair....

No thanks !

1. Life is not fair.

2. Whining is so unbecoming.

3. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=19427&p=80583&hilit=rent#p80583

Ok, keeping it civil:

We try to keep the right balance between Free features and Premium, but full offline synchronization of your account to a mobile device is a big and expensive feature for us to implement, and we've decided to put that in the Premium category to recoup the costs (since it's not absolutely required for basic usage).

Thanks

Archived