Jump to content

[UPDATE: Workaround Found] Please Fix Copy Internal Link and enAppInstalled Bugs


Recommended Posts

So this is a long standing issue which does not seem to attract the attention of Evernote dev team so I'm trying to see how many others still have this issue too, and what may we do about it.

Basically, I think any user of the desktop version (not the new beta) would agree that the web version (classic or new) is much more crippled in comparison. You cannot edit attachments (e.g., to annotate PDFs), merge notes, etc.

There are two 'outstanding' bugs. The first is that the button "Copy Internal Link" does not do what Ctrl + Alt + L does, despite labelling the latter as a shortcut of the former. If you use the button in the Context Menu, it yields a "https://www.evernote.com/shard/" link, which does not open in browser, unless you paste that in another Evernote note (and then copy that again). As other users have pointed out, this is a great impediment to users' workflows which incorporate other apps, like OneNote, Todoist, etc. Internal links (a la evernote:///view/) can only be generated by clicking Ctrl + Alt + L.

evernote:///view/

(Of course, one may argue that this is "by design", because "internal" doesn't mean "desktop" and can include an https link. Well...) 

image.png.ffa137a01a07c10dd778697c07464dc8.png

 

Relatedly, the second issue is opening https links in the desktop app. Contrary to some forum users' claims that this is by design, this used to be a feature, until the development team took away the enAppInstalled cookie, perhaps with a view to forcing users to open links in the web-app instead of the desktop app. (The development team, in my collection and I would be happy to be corrected, has not explained why the cookie was removed.)

 

I think supposedly, another Chrome/Chromium extension can be written which automatically parses and converts https:// links to evernote:// links (the two links use similar elements). But, of course, if there can be an official solution, this would not be necessary.

Edited by icarus
found workaround
  • Like 4
Link to comment

UPDATE: workaround found.

I found a workaround. Turns out that as long as you use the old version of the clipper, the cookie (enAppInstalled) will be re-introduced. Once you have the cookie, all Evernote links (https://www.evernote.com/shard/...) will continue to prompt to launch in desktop.

image.thumb.png.e18e7409387f9238f0ad5861df3d8724.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 6/3/2020 at 4:55 PM, icarus said:

UPDATE: workaround found.

I found a workaround. Turns out that as long as you use the old version of the clipper, the cookie (enAppInstalled) will be re-introduced. Once you have the cookie, all Evernote links (https://www.evernote.com/shard/...) will continue to prompt to launch in desktop.

image.thumb.png.e18e7409387f9238f0ad5861df3d8724.png

@icarus, where do you get the old web clipper? I use Chrome & Brave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 4 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 6:28 PM, icarus said:

Relatedly, the second issue is opening https links in the desktop app. Contrary to some forum users' claims that this is by design, this used to be a feature, until the development team took away the enAppInstalled cookie, perhaps with a view to forcing users to open links in the web-app instead of the desktop app. (The development team, in my collection and I would be happy to be corrected, has not explained why the cookie was removed.)

 

I think supposedly, another Chrome/Chromium extension can be written which automatically parses and converts https:// links to evernote:// links (the two links use similar elements). But, of course, if there can be an official solution, this would not be necessary.

Do you still have the problem with the second issue?  That is to use the web link (https link) in other app, such as google calendar, it open up the browser and then redirect to the desktop (Mac or Windows) Evernote app since it recognized that Evernote is installed.  This used to be working.

I test by putting a web link in my google calendar.  I open it on my iPad google calendar, it open Evernote App, even though it is a web link. I open it on my Windows desktop chrome google calendar, it open Evernote Web.  It didn’t open the Evernote Windows App.  

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

Oh my gosh! THank you! I didn't even realize this was an issue until I upgraded to 10 and found notes opening to the web. I have reverted back to 6.25 and was trying to figure out why some notes have the evernote.... and others https....  Now I can fix them before I upgrade to Evernote 10.  Thank you thank you. I wish this bug was fixed, but I thankful now that i can fix the links I have (the show up green for local, blue for web by the way).

 

Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Momofthrees said:

Oh my gosh! THank you! I didn't even realize this was an issue until I upgraded to 10 and found notes opening to the web. I have reverted back to 6.25 and was trying to figure out why some notes have the evernote.... and others https....  Now I can fix them before I upgrade to Evernote 10.  Thank you thank you. I wish this bug was fixed, but I thankful now that i can fix the links I have (the show up green for local, blue for web by the way).

 

Are you referring to copying of internal links? It works with the latest release now.

Link to comment
  • 4 months later...

There is a routing solution to open pages in desktop app from web clipper.

1. Download Requestly: Redirect Url, Modify Headers etc addon for your browser

2. Create a account for Requestly

3. New rule from top right → Insert Scripts : Or Click here

4. Give a name to rule as you want

5. Modify fields As If URL Contains: 

https://evernote.com/redirect/?_h=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com%2Fu%2F0%2Fclient%2Fweb%23%3Fn%3D

6. We don't need any other libraries but modify next fields as :

  • Code Type :  JS 

  • Code Source: CODE

  • Insert: After Page Load

7. Copy and paste this code to code area:

window.onload = window.open(document.querySelector("body > div.content > div > div:nth-child(3) > a").getAttribute('href', 2)).then(window.close());

8. Don't forget the activate and save rule from top right

image.thumb.png.b7441b7e8c799d71ca93985726682e26.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just had to move to a new computer, and installed both Evernote desktop and the Evernote web clippers (for Chrome and Firefox), and even the green links in my notes are opening in the default web browser. I reverted to an older (2019) version of the web clipper, but that didn't help. This is happening with both notes created using the web clipper and notes I created myself. How do I get internal links created over the past ten years in the desktop app (that all begin with https://www.evernote.com/shard) to open in the desktop app??

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...