Turn off preview of pdf in notes, only display thumbnails

Hi I'm using evernote for school and I get a lot of handouts. When I drop a pdf into the note it opens it. Is there a way for it to not do that? If I could just get it to show a thumbnail of the attachment that would be great. Any ideas if this is possible?

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

Yup, but the whole PDF is displayed in the note as opposed to an icon - which is how every other file type apart from images are handled.

It's (I think) a weird implementation and I find it frustrating but Dave E has made it pretty clear that it isn't going to change in the near future so we either live with it or find a different app.

Yup, but the whole PDF is displayed in the note as opposed to an icon - which is how every other file type apart from images are handled.

It's (I think) a weird implementation and I find it frustrating but Dave E has made it pretty clear that it isn't going to change in the near future so we either live with it or find a different app.

Nope - PowerPoint files are displayed just like PDF files. Really handy, actually. However, I think there should be an option in Preferences to turn whole-PDF/PPTX display on and off for the users who want/do not want the feature.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

please make it possible to disable document previews inside a note. i frequently put several documents together inside a note and i need to see them all without scrolling endlessly through pages. please, please, please offer an option to revert to the old way.

• 2 months later...

+1 having the entire doc display in the note totally defeats the interest of embedding documents for me. If I wanted to read the thing, I would open it or preview it. I'm actively looking for other software that will let me set embedded files to display the way I want them to. It's too bad because the previous Evernote was great. . . if I'd known, I never would have updated!

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5*

In EN Mac, and I believe EN Win, there is a Preference/Option setting for the DEFAULT view of attachments when they are added to a Note.  The choices are:

1. Inline
  2. As an Attachment (icon)

This applies to new attachments, and does not change the view of existing attachments.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*

Depending upon which platform you are using there is an option to Always show PDF documents as attachments (Tools - Options - Note in Windows).  Or you can right click the PDF and click View as attachment.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Marttamo said:

Yes, please make this a possible feature. It is very annoying to have the an 82 page document previewed in a note, all I want is to have a thumbnail to click on for the content...

As per the other, posts - viewing pdfs inline is an option on some platforms
This image is from my Mac  Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 8.19.56 AM.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/17/2016 at 6:22 PM, Kunal Nagar said:

With Evernote for Mac, you can right click on the PDF and choose "View as Attachment". If you need to revert back, right click on the PDF again and choose "View Inline". Check out the following screenshots.

I don't see this option to be available for me (Evernote MacOS 10.15). Anyone has news on this?

• Level 5

Screenshots from my MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.15.3, EN 7.14. Little preview thumbnails are not available on the Mac, only in iOS. Right click on the pdf symbol or the header of the shown pdf file.

Show as attachment (pdf attachment symbol):

308662074_Bildschirmfoto2020-02-25um11_41_12.thumb.png.8e61f1c135cb7e4255f116ddbf177244.png

Show as preview (full view of pdf):

1646035945_Bildschirmfoto2020-02-25um11_41_33.png.150055629c52466a4673bb541e1cf30b.png

Toggle the setting between embedded or full view in the settings (hidden in the WebClipper-settings):

1157437517_Bildschirmfoto2020-02-25um11_42_49.thumb.png.6e18135dad368c245a7327cc6fe7255d.png

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...