VegasVec

What scanner do you use with Evernote?

I have two Fujitsu scanners - the original Evernote Edition and the Fujitsu ix500.  I ended up throwing away my ix500 because after a firmware upgrade, it wasn't recognized by any computer I put it on!  Its too bad because I had both scanners dialed in and I loved it. Very reliable.

I am now searching for a second scanner, since my Evernote edition is staying home.  I need one for work.  I am reading reviews on the new ix1500 but it seems like people don't like it compared to the ix500.  I want a scanner that integrates with Evernote quickly where I scan and it goes immediately into my inbox with the push of one button.  Apparently, the ix1500 requires a two button push (once to OK scan?).  Anyways, please let me know if you have purchased a scanner recently to work with Evernote. Thanks!

• Like 1

Still with my ix500, and no plans to move on. Scanning only a few pages I do with my iPhone and the ScannerPro-app. It has the option to install workflows, which send the scan into a specified notebook, tagging it with a standard set of tags.

The ix500 is for the heavy lifting. If I would have to switch, it would probably be the ix1500. I have not tried it, but I like the option to switch scanning profiles right on the touch screen. I use several ones, depending on the scanning job (pdf, jpeg, low and high resolution), and have to move to the PC/Mac if I need to switch.

I've been using a ScanSnap S1300i for a while now.  Created some of my own profiles though.  I scan to an import folder so one button scanning.

• Like 1

I have A4 Epson Perfection V19 and Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500, both are enough for my needs.

My Canon P215 has been collecting dust for a few years now - finding the Android scanning app sufficient for the rare paper documents that don't already exist electronically as well.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about buying a scanner specifically for use with Evernote. I have several hundred (possibly over a thousand) documents and receipts. I am currently using the Android version of Evernote, which is fine for two or three docs. I know the Fujitsu Scan Snap is discontinued. Evernote staff has not been helpful so far in giving me any ideas.

I assume the scanner will need to scan directly to PDF? I have a NEAT document scanner that works with my Windows 10 built in scanning software, but it does not scan directly to PDF. I can use the NEAT software to scan, but it scans to NEATs proprietary format. From there you can convert to PDF, but it's a S L O W process.

The ix1500 looks nice, but it's out of my budget. Thanks.

I've merged your post with ongoing discussions of scanner use with Evernote

>>I assume the scanner will need to scan directly to PDF?

PDF format is a requirement for my use, and a standard feature on most scanners   
With your indicated volume, I'd also want a sheet feeder

If you have the number of pages and documents, you need a reliable feeder, plus a fast software package.

The ix(1)500 should do, and maybe rethink your budget issue. You could try to buy a used one (just be aware of scratches, paint or glue on the internal scanning windows, because it will make the scans useless), or account it against the time saved from using a less reliable, slower scanner.

The ScanSnap software still exists, from Fujitsu. The only product that was abandoned is the special edition Evernote scanner. It was practically an ix500 with a special software. If you get one, and it does not work with a newer OS, you can flash it with a standard ix500-firmware. It will work as every ix500, only the specific Evernote scanner features will be gone.

• Like 1

Hey everyone. I'm guessing this isn't the right place and I apologize! I'm new to this forum, and I have exhaustively searched for any thread related to my issue.  It seems I can't just post my issue as a new topic (for good reason I'm sure.)

Here's what's up -- I use the Evernote branded Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500.

Every now and then -- if I upgrade my computer system OS, or change my computer setup somehow -- it will ask me to reconnect the scanner using a USB cable.

The thing is -- it seems to ONLY work with the very USB cable that came with the unit.

I'm sure I still have that somewhere, but right now when I'm in a hurry and just have to get some tax documents scanned, it's so frustrating that other cables which look identical (it's square-ish with a little bump on the top) but no matter how many identical cables I try, it WILL NOT connect unless I can find the original cable it came with.

Does anybody know a workaround, or if I can buy some kind of replacement cable online?

To me it looks like a standard „device to computer“ USB3 cable on my ix500 (non EN edition). But the cable is not exactly square at the device end, it is more like 2 squares on top of each other.

I do not know whether the setup works with an USB2-cable. I took a picture, the ix500-cable is the black one to the left, the USB2 from an old backup disk drive is the grey one to the right. The blue Inlay to the USB3-cable indicates it is USB3-compatible. So I think any USB3-cable of this type should work.

6192882E-FEF8-4156-B039-BA3CE54A706D.thumb.jpeg.442054c36a6201ad3af663366ed78074.jpeg 

Thank you so much for the quick and thorough response.

Yes this is the exact cable I am using (the one on the left). I have two just like it, in fact. But they just will not work.

Like I said, it seems that unless I use the original cable, it won't work. Im completely baffled.

Maybe the issue is with the computer you try to connect to.

It is a known issue that the EN branded scanner will not connect to Macs running Catalina. This is due to the fact that Catalina only supports 64bit-apps.

To get around this, it is necessary to update the scanners firmware. It will take the firmware of the standard ix500, of course loosing the special features of the EN model. And there is no way back once it was updated with the new firmware.

I am running my ix500 with a Mac, and have created scan profiles in the ScanSnap Home software that will send scans directly into EN. Works fine, no need for the special edition to do that.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 5:06 PM, PinkElephant said:

If you have the number of pages and documents, you need a reliable feeder, plus a fast software package.

The ix(1)500 should do, and maybe rethink your budget issue. You could try to buy a used one (just be aware of scratches, paint or glue on the internal scanning windows, because it will make the scans useless), or account it against the time saved from using a less reliable, slower scanner.

The ScanSnap software still exists, from Fujitsu. The only product that was abandoned is the special edition Evernote scanner. It was practically an ix500 with a special software. If you get one, and it does not work with a newer OS, you can flash it with a standard ix500-firmware. It will work as every ix500, only the specific Evernote scanner features will be gone.

Does the SnapScan software allow you to scan multiple doc into one PDF? Or does it create one PDF for each doc, and you use Evernote to combine pages?

Thanks.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:11 AM, PinkElephant said:

It will take the firmware of the standard ix500, of course loosing the special features of the EN model. And there is no way back once it was updated with the new firmware.

Oh, dear! I think you're right. That must be the cause.

I'm really, really disappointed to hear that I'll lose the special features of the Evernote model.

Can you tell me which features that would be? In short, I LOVE that I can scan things directly into the Evernote through the cloud, without having to be connected via USB, and I don't need to scan it to my local drive first, I can just scan it, and BAM it's in my Evernote.

Is THAT a feature I'd still have???

UPDATE:  Disregard. Panic averted. I just googled it for myself and I think I can see the pros/cons pretty clearly. I'm gonna go ahead and upgrade the firmware. Thanks again!

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE:  So I found a Super Speed USB cable (like the one pictures above - the same type that came with the scanner).  I connected it to my computer.

It looks like before I upgrade the firmware, the first thing I am asked to do is connect the scanner to the Mac via USB cable from within the ScanSnap Home application.

But this brings me back to my original problem:  it WILL NOT connect.  No matter what.  Any ideas why?  Or how I might work around this?

11 hours ago, Leebo said:

Does the SnapScan software allow you to scan multiple doc into one PDF? Or does it create one PDF for each doc, and you use Evernote to combine pages?

Thanks.

There are several options in the ScanSnap Manager software.

If you choose pdf, the document will have all pages you place in one scan job. Because the feeder takes appr. 50 pages, this will be the limit (unless you try to manually feed more pages while the scanner is working down the current feed).

If you choose jpg as format, it will be all one-pagers, because jpg does not support multiple pages.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ben S said:t looks like before I upgrade the firmware, the first thing I am asked to do is connect the scanner to the Mac via USB cable from within the ScanSnap Home application.

But this brings me back to my original problem:  it WILL NOT connect.  No matter what.  Any ideas why?  Or how I might work around this?

So I understand you have the ScanSnap Home software installed and running ?

Has it got all the necessary rights in the Macs settings ? Settings - Privacy & Security => look through all options and check every box with ScanSnap.

Then how is it connected ? The Mac usually does not take a USB-A-Cable - through a hub, a dock, an adapter ? Any chance to try another device ?

Try to connect the scanner to another Mac or PC - still not working ? Exchange the cable - still dead ?

This would be a „find the mistake“ strategy. If you end up at the end, chances are the scanner is not o.k. For whatever reason.