Web Clipper Privacy Violation and I'm Not Happy

I recently downloaded and installed Evernote Web Clipper.

When using Google, I noticed just to the right of my search results, notes "suggestions" from within my Evernote organizer.  My personal notes were being displayed right there in the Google app, just off to the right.  Not Cool!!  I was not happy and almost terminated my Evernote account.   How do I insure that this does not happen again.  Thank you.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Jonathanen43 said:

I recently downloaded and installed Evernote Web Clipper.

When using Google, I noticed just to the right of my search results, notes "suggestions" from within my Evernote organizer.  My personal notes were being displayed right there in the Google app, just off to the right.  Not Cool!!  I was not happy and almost terminated my Evernote account.   How do I insure that this does not happen again.  Thank you.

Go to clipper settings and turn off related results.  Nothings going to Google.  It's your stuff displaying in the browser.  You get the same if using Edge, Brave, Opera, Firefox if the option is checked.  Always good to check settings when using an App.

image.png.d32a666717bc999f8acfbe7604f04e90.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

To make this clear: Nothing is send to Google. EN matches content in the EN database on your PC locally with the Google Search. This means it is searching for the same content where Google can‘t go: Inside of your EN account.

Nothing of this leaves your PC, it is a completely local service that makes any content in your own notes available to you that matches your current google search. And it shows only to you, not to Google.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

To make this clear: Nothing is send to Google.

How would you suggest I rephrase this?

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Nothings going to Google.

:P

• Level 5

The first sentence belongs to the whole paragraph. No need to reword anything, I just felt a more detailed explanation of how the miracle performed by EN works in the background would be nice to help for a better understanding.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The first sentence belongs to the whole paragraph. No need to reword anything, I just felt a more detailed explanation of how the miracle performed by EN works in the background would be nice to help for a better understanding.

Just having a bit of fun.  ;)

• 2 years later...

I too am disturbed by this default behaviour. 

Its not Google I am concerned with but other users of my PC seeing my personal notes upon a browser search.

I have disabled the feature in clipper multiple times and it keeps on coming back perhaps with each update.

Due to privacy concerns, I don't think this should be enabled by default.

Very irritating!

• Level 5

It is not irritating at all.

If your PC is correctly set up, you have a personal account on it. Nobody can access it unless you hand over your access credentials. All apps that are personalised will run in this account - unless you have set them up yourself to run on all accounts.

So if your handling of IT security corresponds with your displayed tendency for privacy, you have no problem.

If not, you should learn more and adapt the way your computer is set up. Because a not so privacy oriented set up will compromise a lot of aspects - some hits found in Google search should be your least concern.

Talking about privacy: If you want to improve on your privacy, avoiding Google services is one of the largest steps you can make. I use DuckDuckGo as search engine. Google does not see what I am looking for, and I see no EN content finds, because this feature only works when searching with Google. 2 problems solved with one step.

• Like 1