"Typewriter Scrolling" option for Notes?

ndbaker

Idea

Am I the only one who desperately wants a Typewriter Scrolling preference option in Evernote?

Whenever I'm typing a note it's not long before my cursor and typing area are at the bottom of the screen. I would rather have a toggle option for the page to automatically scroll with my typing, like a typewriter, so that the cursor line is kept in the middle of the page. This feature is a godsend with other writing apps (eg. Scrivener), and not having it in Evernote annoys me to no end: I will often add a bunch of line breaks in front of my cursor from time to time just so I can temporarily enjoy having my writing area be someplace other than continually at the very bottom of the window. Obviously this is just a feature for composing, and it's not a feature to keep constant — you want and need to deactivate this feature so you can scroll around through your notes. But when focusing on composing it's a very valuable feature to have.  

Does anyone else wish for a "typewriter scrolling" feature like this? 

• Like 1

4 replies to this idea

I agree, this would be a big help. I'd honestly never thought of the idea until today, when it just dawned on me that I'm destroying my neck staring at the bottom edge of the screen all the time. Evernote is incredibly useful, but so is my neck. I'm going to be experimenting with alternative editors to see if it's worthwhile prioritizing this feature. Right now, I accomplish it in Evernote by inserting a long block of spaces beneath my current line, then manually scrolling down periodically as I add more lines. This is a hassle.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:21 PM, allamericanbreakfast said:

I agree, this would be a big help. I'd honestly never thought of the idea until today, when it just dawned on me that I'm destroying my neck staring at the bottom edge of the screen all the time. Evernote is incredibly useful, but so is my neck. I'm going to be experimenting with alternative editors to see if it's worthwhile prioritizing this feature. Right now, I accomplish it in Evernote by inserting a long block of spaces beneath my current line, then manually scrolling down periodically as I add more lines. This is a hassle.

While Android has Jotterpad that apart from the typewriter scrolling has nothing different from other better apps, on windows you have WriteMonkey that is a true gem, if you bother to take time to learn how to use it. Not unlike Evernote. But I'm here as well because I wish I could write on EN while looking at the centre of the screen as well.

• Level 5

This is not a feature, this is fighting a normal aging of the eyesight.

What good does it if the line you are typing is locked to the middle of the screen, but the menu is at the top, and other windows are scattered over the screen ? Correct, it does nothing to really prevent a stiff neck or headache from computer use.

Get yourself glasses that are optimized for screen work, and your neck stiffness will go away. These glasses are in between reading glasses and glasses for daily use. The lower part is for watching at the screen and documents on the desk, the upper to look at a colleague or customer standing at your desk.

Often your employer will provide them to you, if you ask for them. Because they keep you healthy and happy - and productive.