NewHero

Why I'm Sticking with Evernote

I'm also an Evernote fan, and use it for the storage and organization of all my notes/documents  

I looked at TSW but converted to a Reminder based task management process

For me, Evernote's most impressive organization paradigm was the elimination of folder methodology.   
I'm a tagger with minimal notebooks.   
Basically tags cover everything, but Evernote has some special notebook features (sync'd'/local, private/shared, default, offline)

Evernote uses an enml format; basically html.  
This is text based and doesn't support "inline ink"   
Ink is supported via note attachments, and Evernote also implemented handwriting OCR for search indexing

The search feature is extensive   
I agree full Boolean is needed, and upgrades are needed for the indexing (special characters, stop words, full phrase, ...)

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

I'm also an Evernote fan, and use it for the storage and organization of all my notes/documents  

I looked at TSW but converted to a Reminder based task management process

I'm a tagger with minimal notebooks.   
Basically tags cover everything, but Evernote has some special notebook features (sync'd'/local, private/shared, default, offline)   
For me, Evernote's most impressive organization paradigm was the elimination of folder methodology

Evernote uses an enml format; basically html.  This is text based and doesn't support "inline ink"   
Ink is supported via note attachments, and Evernote also implemented handwriting OCR for search indexing

The search feature is extensive   
I agree full Boolean is needed, and upgrades are needed for the indexing (special characters, stop words, full phrase, ...)

How do you do a reminder based process? I'd love to hear more about the workflow.

By inline ink, I just meant that I should be able to insert a handwritten drawing in a text note on desktop. In the current production version on Windows, you can only 'draw' on a separate "Ink Note" which doesn't accept text... Although on Android you can draw in a text note...

1 hour ago, NewHero said:

How do you do a reminder based process? I'd love to hear more about the workflow.

This may require a new discussion topic, but I'll give an overview

An important requirement is date specific tasks    
Due date is supported in the Reminder feature   

Next actions are also important, supported by non-dated reminders    
Reminders also support a completion date/status

My current task list is generated by a saved search   
reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*    
(all reminders, exclude future date, exclude completed)

Finally, the Evernote note list has limited presentation options (filtered, sorted)     
I take the list to a spreadsheet where I have more options for presentation

17 minutes ago, NewHero said:

In the current production version on Windows, you can only 'draw' on a separate "Ink Note" which doesn't accept text... Although on Android you can draw in a text note...

I'm not a Windows user   
On my platforms, we don't have "Ink notes" , just notes with ink attachments

Hi All,

I also actively use Evernote for organising ideas fo work, home and learning.  As noted above I see the tags and saved searches as key to organise ideas.   My most cherished feature is the ability to save searches based on key words not tags.  Looking at the competitors I also agree we don’t want Evernote to get too complex.  

In the future I want Evernote to be smarter and to be able to identify keywords that I type and then show me in a saved search these as a suggestion.  (Google does this with photos). I want to be able to review these topics. In a way the tool could act like a “reflection feature” you wrote down this week about “Australia, chemistry, energy etc”. Here is the collected ideas you wrote on those topics.  This would help me to reflect on an idea and build on it. For those studying think of it as at the end of the week Evernote reminds you of the key topics you learnt.  Evernote suddenly starts helping you learn.  Eventually Evernote could use AI and know more about me than me:)

Pls like this idea if you agree...I am deliberately writing it here to get user support first.

10 hours ago, grantr said:

My most cherished feature is the ability to save searches based on key words not tags

What do you see as the difference between keywords and tags?

In my use, tags are applied at the note level (metadata), and keywords are specified as text within the note contents 
I use the tag list as a source for my keyword selection (Mac AppleScript)

8 hours ago, grantr said:

My most cherished feature is the ability to save searches based on key words not tags.

If I'm understanding what you want this can be done today on Windows and the Mac.  As you type keywords, tags, or any search criteria the note list updates with the filtered view of notes.  You can then save that search string as a saved search for later use if you want.

I've been using Evernote for over 11 years and David Allen's GTD methodology for even longer. I can't say that I am using my folders only for workflow and I could be more disciplined with my tags, but I have been a fan of tagging / labeling over foldering for over 20 years. I recently started a new job that requires Outlook and I can't install third-part apps to add tagging and it is driving me crazy. 

The one thing I disagree with, however, is that Evernote has never lived up to its promise of being a place to dump everything. The file size limit means I frequently am unable to file PDFs of technical manuals into Evernote.  I have to manage a separate personal reference filing system in Google Drive. I was excited to see Google Drive integration advertised, but it doesn't even work on the Web version of Evernote. 

I've used OneNote and Notion extensively for various work projects, and they are great apps, but have never met my needs as well as Evernote. If it were easier to migrate from Evernote to Google Drive / Keep, however, I would certainly test it, because I'm getting tired of having to manage references and materials in two locations. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 7:11 AM, grantr said:

Hi All,

I also actively use Evernote for organising ideas fo work, home and learning.  As noted above I see the tags and saved searches as key to organise ideas.   My most cherished feature is the ability to save searches based on key words not tags.  Looking at the competitors I also agree we don’t want Evernote to get too complex.  

In the future I want Evernote to be smarter and to be able to identify keywords that I type and then show me in a saved search these as a suggestion.  (Google does this with photos). I want to be able to review these topics. In a way the tool could act like a “reflection feature” you wrote down this week about “Australia, chemistry, energy etc”. Here is the collected ideas you wrote on those topics.  This would help me to reflect on an idea and build on it. For those studying think of it as at the end of the week Evernote reminds you of the key topics you learnt.  Evernote suddenly starts helping you learn.  Eventually Evernote could use AI and know more about me than me:)

Pls like this idea if you agree...I am deliberately writing it here to get user support first.

Have you tried the context feature in Evernote. It literally recommends 'related notes' based on the content of what I'm typing. Also, in the Web Clipper, you can add a widget to your Google searches so that when you search in Google it also shows related notes...

On 5/10/2020 at 3:49 AM, NewHero said:

Evernote is not primarily a tool for editing and formatting notes. It's not even really a to-do list app. It's a tool for creating your own, personalized system for being organized, from scratch. Evernote's killer feature is that it lets you get organized and stay organized. Nothing else comes close on that front for me.

@NewHero Wow... not sure how I missed this great narrative when it was posted, but thanks for putting together this well thought-out piece.  I couldn't agree more with the statement above!

For me, Evernote's strength is not as a note editor, but as a digital filing cabinet.  It is my GTD filing system for supporting documents, and it is an added bonus that it also operates as my GTD inbox and project organization.  Whenever I try to make it do more, I get frustrated.  Therefore, I use other services for tables (Google Sheets), editing documents (Google Docs) and ink (GoodNotes), then link or import those files into Evernote for storage/reference.  

Here is a short summary of my setup...

As a filing cabinet, the Evernote stack is the equivalent of the filing cabinet, and the notebook is the drawer or large expandable folder inside a specific drawer.  In my system, the individual notes are organized into "folders" within the notebook through the note title (I rarely use tags).  I typically start the note with a sub-topic that may be common among many notes in that notebook, then use a date (YY-MM-DD) and then a short descriptive title.  That way if I sort the notes in a note book by the title bar, it sorts the individual notes into their folders and sorts them by date.  I can then use the search for "intitle" to find whatever I need. 

For example, a typical note title is: Short Topic YY-MM-DD Longer Keyword Heavy Description of Note

(I have never been able to wrap my head around tags or make them work, so basically I view everything in the title of the note as a keyword/tag I may want to search.  I don't find it to be a limitation that a note can only go into one notebook, as I am used to the same limitation from prior use of a physical filing cabinet)

For the GTD project organization, I typically have one note for each project and start it with a "#" symbol so that it shows at the top of a notebook when sorted by title.  Then I add links to the important supporting documentation and use TODO lists to outline the various subtasks that need to be done for that project.  I then assign a reminder to the project note, and include the next few actions in the title.

For example, a typical note title for a project note is: #Project description: +Next Action > Future Action > Future Action" (with reminder set for today if it is active or future if I am waiting for something to do the next action)

5 hours ago, aukirk said:

As a filing cabinet, the Evernote stack is the equivalent of the filing cabinet, and the notebook is the drawer or large expandable folder inside a specific drawer.  In my system, the individual notes are organized into "folders" within the notebook through the note title

As I mentioned above, Evernote dropped the folder methodology
There's no filing cabinet, drawers, folders; just a flat collection of notes

Evernote's organizational structure is based on the notebook/tag fields   
Some users emulate folders using the notebook/tag trees

>>I don't find it to be a limitation that a note can only go into one notebook

I find it to be a serious limitation, which is why I use minimal notebooks and focus on tags
We can restrict ourselves to a single tag per note

>>Therefore, I use other services for tables (Google Sheets), editing documents (Google Docs) and ink (GoodNotes), then link or import those files into Evernote for storage/reference.  

In addition, I find Evernote's note list limiting; we can only filter and sort
I export the note list to a spreadsheet for better processing options; for example budget/expense and task reports

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DTLow said:

In addition, I find Evernote's note list limiting; we can only filter and sort
I export the note list to a spreadsheet for better processing options; for example budget/expense and task reports

How do you export a note list to a spreadsheet?  Also, what do you mean by processing and how do you get any of the changes/notes made to the spreadsheet back into Evernote?

59 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As I mentioned above, Evernote dropped the folder methodology
There's no filing cabinet, drawers, folders; just a flat collection of notes

My reference to folders and drawers was as an analogy to the prior method of filing and saving material that myself and a lot of the world used for decades before the introduction of the concept of tagging or digital systems that make that possible.  I get that you and many others find that to be a great benefit, but I was just explaining my system and how I view Evernote as my digital version of the filing system I have used well before the existence of Evernote.

3 hours ago, aukirk said:

How do you export a note list to a spreadsheet? 

I use scripting on a Mac (Applescript)   
Copy/Paste also works

>>what do you mean by processing421290167_ScreenShot2020-06-14at11_18_37AM.png.e19839359ad7226d68e98af506c1870b.png

Budget/expense reports   
- summarize by budget category   
- graphs/charts

Task reports   
- Tasks listed in a gantt timeline view568958488_ScreenShot2020-06-14at11_15_14AM.png.f047568c9ca69b934b7a70543e85d138.png

>>how do you get any of the changes/notes made to the spreadsheet back into Evernote?

It's a one way transfer, although the spreadsheets can be stored as note attachments