Redesigning Your Mobile Security

onwingslikeeagles

Idea

Hello,

I want to propose a suggestion for redesigning your security template on mobile devices.

I recently decided to add security to my Evernote account on my mobile device. As I went through the prompt to add security, my workflow experience was not user friendly.

By default, my device has a fingerprint reader, so I would instinctively want to use it for the protection of my application. However, upon choosing to secure my application, I was given a password prompt to enter, ignoring the option to use my fingerprint reader. I thought this was the only option available, until I finished the password prompt and was navigated to a settings screen that stated my fingerprint reader will be used as my default security option, independent of the fact that I was just made to enter a password. It seems very unnecessary for me to enter a password, given I am just using the fingerprint option. Upon choosing to secure the application, I would expect a security settings screen to appear, giving me the option to just use a biometric security mechanism without entering a passcode.

Furthermore, the screen for the fingerprint unlock feature is not aesthetically pleasing. The application assumes it needs a passcode by default for security, so once the application is opened, a passcode screen appears, then the fingerprint reader popup appears in front of it. I believe the passcode screen appearing with the use of a biometric security mechanism is designed incorrectly. The passcode screen does serve as a security tool, covering a user's notes before an attempt to unlock the application. However, if it is known that a user has a biometric device, I would expect something simple such as a logo screen to perform this. 

My software and hardware information is listed below, in case you feel what's described is a specific issue to my device (though I believe it's a redesign issue). I've also attached the screen that I'm viewing once I'm prompted for a fingerprint reader for you to better understand my user experience. If you have any questions, let me know. 

Hardware: Pixel 2 XL
Software: Android 10

onwingslikeeagles

Screenshot_20200505-172431.png

2 replies to this idea

It would be nice and pretty neat. There are dozens of mobile applications have such design of security page. It's been my idea as well, few months ago, and then I've asked a developer company which possesses itself like they are experts in creating your brand strategy and you know what, they've made a pretty nice and user-friendly design for our website.

• Level 5

1st) Anybody can feed back ideas. I give higher priority to those that help in funding to convert them into code.

2nd) I do not use the feature. My iPhone is my castle, so why should I lock down any door inside when I hold the castle keys ?

3rd) At least on the iPhone, it is pretty straight forward. It asks to set a passcode, and then permission to use (in my case) FaceID. It needs to ask for this because iOS will not allow an app to use FaceID without confirmation. This step is not part of EN, it is forced by iOS, and can probably not be avoided. When confirmed, it will unlock automatically by FaceID ...

4th) ... unless you are using a facial disguise, like a protective mask. Not uncommon these days ! Then the Passcode screen is already active to type in the unlocking code, right away. No fuzz, no additional step needed. Pretty sleek, invented pre-Corona !

5th) About design, one can argue. On iOS it follows the general EN App design, like it or not.

6th) But, well, you are talking about the Android app. No idea there, not using Android on any device.