Seasoned Coders come in - How to activate main

There are 3 segments in Evernote. Every time I open Evernote, focus will be on the last note I opened (middle segment), instead of scrolling all the way to the top.

My aim is to use keyboard shortcuts to navigate to the Add Reminder segment, or at the very least, to view my reminders as the default (rather than viewing last note). How do I achieve this?

image.thumb.png.e6cc06c6118ea07ccfb3cff536cbea85.png

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Titus said:

My aim is to use keyboard shortcuts to navigate to the Add Reminder segment, or at the very least, to view my reminders as the default (rather than viewing last note). How do I achieve this?

I'm using a Mac and the default focus is Note List (last note); no option to change this922755822_ScreenShot2020-04-29at9_34_23PM.png.3c25fafbd5608c36d8aa9a19f9c408c2.png
I can use keyboard shortcuts to switch views between the Note List and Reminders

I can code an AppleScript to open Evernote at the Reminders view
also an Applescript to add reminder data to a note (command option R)

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Titus said:

view my reminders as the default

Possible option - use Filterize (free version) to maintain a Table of Contents list ('a Dashboard') of -optionally- All / Open / Closed reminders.  Save a shortcut to the desktop to open that dashboard note.  Go from there...?

• Level 5
11 hours ago, Titus said:

There are 3 segments in Evernote. Every time I open Evernote, focus will be on the last note I opened (middle segment), instead of scrolling all the way to the top.

image.thumb.png.e6cc06c6118ea07ccfb3cff536cbea85.png

Without add-ons, there are different ways of viewing the Note List. Just clicking the arrow to the left of Reminders, of course, opens the reminder list, and I believe that is "sticky" from one Evernote session to another. Curiously, there doesn't seem to be a KB shortcut to take you to the Reminders list. Experimenting with different Note List views and sort orders (the two icons between the number of notes and the tag icon) might get you farther along.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Possible option - use Filterize (free version) to maintain a Table of Contents list ('a Dashboard') of -optionally- All / Open / Closed reminders.  Save a shortcut to the desktop to open that dashboard note.  Go from there...?

@gazumped, can you say more? I've never used Filterize, but since Cronofy is currently not working to sync Evernote with Google Calendar, I'm trying to work with reminders to get a visible list in a separate window. I've saved a search for reminders in the next 3 days and made it a shortcut. But even then I have to manipulate Top List or Side List views and sort orders to see what's coming up, and this interferes with the way I prefer to view my notes.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Titus said:

<Find in Evernote Shortcut key> - Tab - Home will get you to the top of the note list.  I have this mapped to Ctrl+Win+H using PhraseExpress.  I use Side List as a default as opposed to Snippet, but same result.  Don't use reminders via Snippet so not sure if there is an EN keyboard shortcut to the reminders drop down.  Could create one with PE using mouse positions assuming a static EN location on the screen.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.a01360ab3245ce5936e9541831f7fab2.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I've saved a search for reminders in the next 3 days

Essentially,  Filterize will use a variable name in a standard note and replace that variable with links to as many notes as meet a given test - such as the reminder being due in the next 3 days.  I've been a subscriber for over a year now and find it hugely valuable - my priorities are all sorted automatically into current,  coming and 'sometime' categories and presented as easily accessible lists available from links on my mobile home page and my laptop desktop.  There are some useful videos on YouTube.

It's possible to set up quite complicated searches that are based on a table of keywords and actions,  so that each note is checked on its next sync and a variety of different actions taken depending on the tag, title or content of the note.  I have some email sent direct to Evernote forinstance,  but don't have the chance to use the email subject line to assign notebook,  tags or reminder dates.  Using Filterize I could send emails to a specific email address for each possible notebook,  or I can leave the incoming notes to be checked on receipt and tags,  notebooks etc assigned depending on content.

Any email from an Amazon address (forinstance) gets assigned to an Amazon notebook and tagged so (amongst other things) I can exclude it from searches.  Some notebooks are 'generic' where note/ emails from a number of sources get assigned there,  but get tagged according to the company they're from.

It's basically possible to hang together whatever sort of system you require - even with the 'free' version which will only handle some basic tasks...

• Level 5

Thanks, @gazumped. In the meantime, after doing some tests it seems that Cronofy have got it back up and running. Reminders created or deleted in Evernote create and delete new Calendar events; and editing date/time in either Evernote or Calendar syncs with the other. So, yay. 👍 But I'll keep the Filterize information for reference.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CalS said:

<Find in Evernote Shortcut key> - Tab - Home will get you to the top of the note list.  I have this mapped to Ctrl+Win+H using PhraseExpress.  I use Side List as a default as opposed to Snippet, but same result.  Don't use reminders via Snippet so not sure if there is an EN keyboard shortcut to the reminders drop down.  Could create one with PE using mouse positions assuming a static EN location on the screen.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.a01360ab3245ce5936e9541831f7fab2.png

Hi there,

Just tried your method. This method only gets to the TOP Note, but not the TOP reminder. I can't seem to  scroll up further using keyboard shortcuts. Any workaround for this?

• Level 5*
57 minutes ago, Titus said:

Hi there,

Just tried your method. This method only gets to the TOP Note, but not the TOP reminder. I can't seem to  scroll up further using keyboard shortcuts. Any workaround for this?

PhraseExpress has mouse position and clicking options.  So if you can add the mouse position (replace 3270 and 100) of the first reminder to the below in a PE phrase context will be transferred to that note.  Add the below to the above and it's one hotkey to go to first reminder in all notes.

{#mouseposition -x 3270 -y 100}{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON}

I use this technique for reminders.  There are no hot keys for reminders so I rolled my own with PE.  So I use Alt+1 to add/close a reminder, Alt+2 to change the date, Alt+3 to clear.  Change reminder date phrase is below.  Looks harder than it is.  Works for me since EN is always full screen the right monitor of a two monitor set up.  The effort has been well worth it to me since I do all my task management in EN.  And I use PE for any repetitive activities like cleaning up forwarded emails and the like or just repetitive text.  YMMV.

{#mouseposition -x 3275 -y 105}{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON}{#mouseposition -x 0 -y 124 -rel}{#LEFTMOUSEBUTTON}

This won't work for me as I have multiple desktops with different screen resolutions. Is there no way that I can navigate to the Arrow button using keyboard shortcut on the reminder? ☹️ 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Titus said:

This won't work for me as I have multiple desktops with different screen resolutions. Is there no way that I can navigate to the Arrow button using keyboard shortcut on the reminder? ☹️ 

Hmmn.  No easy way that I know - other than maybe recording individual macros for each desktop and saving the individual mouse movements appropriate to that screen under a unique key code.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Titus said:

Nope.  I do this on two desktops both with two monitors but of different sizes.  My fix was to create a phrase for the mouse position for the reminder icon, kind of like a subroutine.  That phrase is inserted into the reminder hot keys which use relative positioning from there.  So when I change locations I edit the position phrase.  I added a comment to the phrase so all the info is there. 

Would it be better if EN added a hotkey, sure.  But in the meantime not that big a deal to edit the position phrase versus all the clicking.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.18a9e5e794a992ef8eb50a08eecc02eb.png

ScreenClip.png.57be499e0222dfb6f944052af83e31bf.png