(Archived) Phone call note

HI there,

I am salesman using EN and must admit, have Devon as well. I like EN better for few reasons but it is missing one crucial feature that I am using in Devon and that is taking phone call notes.

Let me explain, every time when somebody calls I am clicking shortcut that is bringing new note window on the screen. I am using MAC by the way. So while talking to prospects I am trying to write down:

Phone number:

Name:

Time: (automatically filled by software)

Date: (automatically filled by software)

Notes: here I write part numbers or anything that can help me to easily find what was customer looking for

Again, I would like to be able to do the same, or better, in EN. Huge advantage is that EN is synced and Devon is not. Is there plug-in or something that would make this note taking workable? I would be surprised if there is not form like that already. Phone calls note taking sounds like logical app perfectly fitting into general note taking idea.

Phone calls note taking sounds like logical app perfectly fitting into general note taking idea.

Please note that many people have what they think should be pretty much standard in a note taking app based upon how they want to use the app. That's why there are trial & free versions.

Having said that, when you create a new EN note, it does fill in creation date & time & you can keyboard in any other info like the items you mentioned. So I'm not really sure what you're wanting that is not already provided.

• Level 5

I like to record the basics of my inbound and outbound phone calls

My process in Windows Evernote is

1.) Press F5 to pop up Evernote search *

2.) Ctrl N to create a new note (steps 1 & 2 take less than a second)

3.) Brief summary of call placed in title

4.) Ctrl ; which adds the Date and Time

5.) Details of conversation in the body of the note

* To get F5 "Find In Evernote" to operate correctly, I have Evernote running but minimized.

And changed the default option to F5 by

>Tools

>Options

>Global Hot Keys

>Find In Evernote - change to F5

I like to record the basics of my inbound and outbound phone calls

My process in Windows Evernote is

1.) Press F5 to pop up Evernote search *

2.) Ctrl N to create a new note (steps 1 & 2 take less than a second)

3.) Brief summary of call placed in title

4.) Ctrl ; which adds the Date and Time

5.) Details of conversation in the body of the note

* To get F5 "Find In Evernote" to operate correctly, I have Evernote running but minimized.

And changed the default option to F5 by

>Tools

>Options

>Global Hot Keys

>Find In Evernote - change to F5

Thanks for suggestions. I am using MAC and things are bit different but close enough. I still think that dedicated mini form popped in by shortcut would be the best.

. . .Let me explain, every time when somebody calls I am clicking shortcut that is bringing new note window on the screen. I am using MAC by the way. So while talking to prospects I am trying to write down:

Phone number:

Name:

Time: (automatically filled by software)

Date: (automatically filled by software)

Notes: here I write part numbers or anything that can help me to easily find what was customer looking for

. . .

Zach, I'm completely with you. But what's really missing in EN is a link to the contact.

I'm not familiar with "Devon" software, but as a salesman you're may have used tools like Act, SalesForce.com, and other CRM and SFA tools. I have even used the Outlook Journal that is attached to a Contact for this exact purpose.

While it would be nice if we could do this in EN, I'm not sure that they will get there any time soon.

For me, having the note linked to the Contact is critical.

So, what would be nice is if EN could be linked with our favorite CRM/SFA tool.

In terms of a more general solution, it has been proposed elsewhere for EN to support Note Templates.

With Note Templates we could create a "Phone Call" template ready to go.

What do you think? Would Note Templates work for you?

JMU,

Yes, I would be very happy with phone note form (template). Shortcut to that mini form would be perfect. You know, phone can ring at any time, you press two finger shortcut and boom, EN phone note taker is on the screen pre-filled with date and time. While talking to person I usually copy the phone number from my phone's display. Many people don't leave phone number so I do it myself, if possible.

I would not go that far with connections to contacts. Never used real CRM, maybe that is the reason. Thing is that contacts data base (any not only Mac) would get filled with hundreds or thousands of mostly meaningless phone numbers. I remember IBM used to do that, you call and lady answers and takes your info that is more like police questionary and after 2 minutes of confessing you are allowed to proceed to person you actually wanted to talk to. I hated that.

• Level 5
Zackcanada

I would not go that far with connections to contacts. Never used real CRM, maybe that is the reason.

As the Sales Manager, I used Front Range Goldmine and SalesForce at work. It takes a lot of work to get through the corporate approval process.

A database connection with contacts at work could be a real problem. It is not likely the IT group or the CEO would permit employees to link the company's internal databases with a consumer based product like Evernote. The security protection at most companies can be mind numbing, as well as the major re-write in the way Evernote code would have to work.

Archived