How to change default Sort for notes

Everytime i open my notes after a reboot , the notes sort by reverse order and by date updated.

I want them to sort by title and A-Z (not reversed).

I can't find where to change this setting as a default so it will always happen.

Appreciate the help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, joHunt said:

I am using v 5.6.4.4632    on win 10 pc.

thanks

That sounds like a version of the Web editor beta (its dedicated forum is here). In v. 6.9 of the editor, there are a couple of option dropdowns above the note list, one of which is for sorting. See the screenshot below. I'm not sure if a selection made there will "stick" as the default.

Evernote Web beta 6-9 sort.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to find out how to sort notes in a notebook by Title/Reverse Alphabetical Order without changing all my notebooks to that sort order. I tried a Chat with support here and the rep could not understand what I was asking. I simply want unique sort order per notebook. Here is my example:

1. Daily Activity Notebook: Sort Title by Reverse Alphabetical order.
  2. Go to another notebook: the notes are sorted by Reverse Alphabetical order.
  3. Sort notes in that Notebook to Title/Alphabetical order
  4. Notes in Daily Activity Notebook are now in Alphabetical order.

MacBook Pro Catalina/Evernote 7.14

image.png.190f27284ac3b7dc20b15c079dacb3da.png

image.thumb.png.7f408f9d650752612b8c993f4399ab70.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, sdadell said:

I have been trying to find out how to sort notes in a notebook by Title/Reverse Alphabetical Order without changing all my notebooks to that sort order.  ... MacBook Pro Catalina/Evernote 7.14

On Macs, we do not have the option of assigning sort sequences to notebooks; it's a Windows only feature

I was able to implement this feature using scripting (Applescript)

Sometimes I put my personal thoughts in evernote, but I also use it as a teaching tool.  I hate that when I login to Evernote on the web that I can't change the default view and make it stick.  Anyone next to me will see at least the titles of all of my recent notes, and the content of the first one, sometimes containing quite personal information.  Would be nice if there were a way to change the default sort that would stick across web and desktop version.

• Level 5

Agreed. They are working on a revamped interface and editor that is supposed to be more unified across platforms. Hopefully this will be one of the revamps. Till then, unless you're willing to have two separate accounts, one for teaching and one for personal notes (presumably one Premium and one Basic), the situation remains problematic.

• Level 5
5 minutes ago, Jay Starkey said:

Just deleted the notes and using another service I already use instead for that.  Annoying, but maybe my use case is so rare that no one else cares.

That is regrettable. I doubt that your case is all that rare--a number of people have posted about difficulties using Evernote for work presentations when they prefer not to have personal notes come up in searches, for instance. Getting a default sort order, notebook, appearance, etc., ought to be on the to-do list for the revisions in progress. Since you've got a Premium account, it might be worth contacting support to raise the issue.

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 2:57 PM, joHunt said:

Everytime i open my notes after a reboot , the notes sort by reverse order and by date updated.

I want them to sort by title and A-Z (not reversed).

I can't find where to change this setting as a default so it will always happen.

Appreciate the help.

The new version 6.17 seems to have fixed this. If you sort your notes A-Z and then close the browser, when you reopen the browser you should find that the sort order is still the same as you set it to ie: A-Z.