why does evernote have notebooks (given that it has tags)??

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, barley123 said:

notebooks look like a one-tier folder system to me, and a folder system should be unnecessary with tags.

Simple answer is it helps with creating contexts for searches, controls the size of backups, and enables local notebooks.  There are actually two levels for notebooks, Stacks and Notebooks.

• Level 5*
On 4/14/2020 at 5:47 PM, barley123 said:

Evernote uses notebooks to identify notes as   
- sync'd/local   
- private/shared   
- default notebook

I basically use two notebooks; @Inbox and FilingCabinet

>>notebooks look like a one-tier folder system to me, and a folder system should be unnecessary with tags.

Two tiers; stacks/notebooks   
No support for folders, but they can be emulated using the notebook/tag trees in the sidebar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, barley123 said:

notebooks look like a one-tier folder system to me, and a folder system should be unnecessary with tags.

Notebooks are containers: every note belongs to exactly one notebook. Notebooks partition your notes into discrete collections. Stacks can be used to organize notebooks. You can use a notebook or a stack as a search context, or all notes.

Tags are labels: a note can have 0 or more tags, and a tag can be applied to any number of notes.

In Evernote, notebooks can be used for organizational purposes, but you must use notebooks to share collections of notes, designate a collection of notes as available offline on mobile applications, or designate collections of notes as local (i.e., unsynced) on desktop platforms.

Yes, stacks+notebooks present a simple two tier hierarchy. Tags allow you to express connections between notes across notebooks.

• Like 3

I use notebooks only to share a number of notes with others.

Temporarly I use them when I create a new project and not yet sure what Tags I should use - just put everything in there and after completion I tag them and move them to my main notebook.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

At the beginning I was creating and deleting notebooks a lot more than today. Today my main reason to create a new notebook is a special project that I want to share with others. Here often I even create copies of notes that already exist, and move them to the new share-dedicated notebook.

The same with deleting - when the project is done, I review what is in the dedicated notebook, delete what has run its course, tag the rest with a special tag to make sure I can find all stuff that is project-related and move these notes back into the main storage. The project-notebook is then deleted.

What makes sharing an EN notebook for project use so easy is that you can have all types of documents in there, others can join the party without a problem and from my experience it is simple to explain and understand. Here notebooks play an important role.

For normal filing purposes tags are much more valuable than a stable full of notebooks.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 6:46 PM, PinkElephant said:

For normal filing purposes tags are much more valuable than a stable full of notebooks.

One of the reasons for using Evernote is that it’s multi-platform, but how do you use tags on iPad or Android? I can get a list of notebooks in the sidebar but not of tags. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Dasym said:

One of the reasons for using Evernote is that it’s multi-platform, but how do you use tags on iPad or Android? I can get a list of notebooks in the sidebar but not of tags. 

Screenshots from my iPad    
618A8CBB-8A9B-4C7E-91AA-58D99F9300BF.thumb.jpeg.db581e60fabd237015bbe290f67b30d7.jpeg      869EEF0D-16D1-406D-A133-CA40FCF8804B.thumb.jpeg.6739dbdd887ab43213e493a1d52f3048.jpeg

• Level 5*

On Android, you use the "hambuger" menu to pop out a panel from the left side of yout screen.  You should see a "Tags" entry in the list, underneath the entries for "All Notes", "Notebooks" and "Shared with Me". Tap it --> Tags!

11 hours ago, jefito said:

On ANdroid, you use the "hambuger" menu to pop out a panel from the left side of yout screen.  You should see a "Tags" entry in the list, underneath the entries for "All Notes", "Notebooks" and "Shared with Me". Tap it --> Tags!

I don't have access to Android anymore so I can't check that out just now.

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

Screenshots from my iPad    
618A8CBB-8A9B-4C7E-91AA-58D99F9300BF.thumb.jpeg.db581e60fabd237015bbe290f67b30d7.jpeg      869EEF0D-16D1-406D-A133-CA40FCF8804B.thumb.jpeg.6739dbdd887ab43213e493a1d52f3048.jpeg

Thanks. That's useful but I'm not sure it's that useable for nested tags. At least with notebooks you can see which stack they belong to.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dasym said:

Thanks. That's useful but I'm not sure it's that useable for nested tags.

Right, an alphabetic list does not show hierarchy   
You can see in my example hierarchy is reflected in a prefix naming convention 
For example;   !Actionable    
                                !ActionablePriority     
                                     !ActionablePriority-Important
                                !ActionableRecurring