Change the order of the notes

Hi,

I've sorted the order of the notes by tags, however I would like to change the order of the notes that have the same tag. Specifically, I would like to have the notes that present the same tag to be sorted by alphabetical order of the title. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks a lot

• Level 5*

If you filter on that tag, you can then sort by alpha order, and then save the search. When you use that saved search, the tag filter and the order should be preserved.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Ric_ds said:

Hi,

I've sorted the order of the notes by tags, however I would like to change the order of the notes that have the same tag. Specifically, I would like to have the notes that present the same tag to be sorted by alphabetical order of the title. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks a lot

Do your tag search and set the sort.  Then click the Always use option on the sort options dropdown.  You can do the same thing for saved searches and notebooks.

Image.png.46981ba4136184ee2f256645a8688407.png

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jefito said:

If you filter on that tag, you can then sort by alpha order, and then save the search. When you use that saved search, the tag filter and the order should be preserved.

Hi jefito,

thank you for replying.

I think my question wasn't phrased very clearly.

I have several tags for each note, and when I search for a specific tag I like to have the sorting order by the tag. However, when two or more notes have the same tags (like the ones in the brackets in the photo attached) I want to have them sorted by the title, but only if they have the same amount of tags. All of the other notes are fine sorted just by the tags order. 

image.thumb.png.96530ef72800e52f99be1ee2342db7c3.png

Instead, if I got your suggestion straight, if I change this search by alpha order, it will change the order of all of the tags by their names, whereas I just want a specific set of notes to be sorted by alpha order.

Thanks a lot

9 hours ago, CalS said:

Do your tag search and set the sort.  Then click the Always use option on the sort options dropdown.  You can do the same thing for saved searches and notebooks.

Image.png.46981ba4136184ee2f256645a8688407.png

Hi CalS

thank you for replying.

I think my question wasn't phrased very clearly.

I have several tags for each note, and when I search for a specific tag I like to have the sorting order by the tag. However, when two or more notes have the same tags (like the ones in the brackets in the photo attached) I want to have them sorted by the title, but only if they have the same amount of tags. All of the other notes are fine sorted just by the tags order. 

image.thumb.png.96530ef72800e52f99be1ee2342db7c3.png

Instead, if I got your suggestion straight, if I change this search by alpha order, it will change the order of all of the tags by their names, whereas I just want a specific set of notes to be sorted by alpha order.

Thanks a lot

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Ric_ds said:

Search by the specific set of notes you want, save the search with view if it is frequent.  In your example it looks like an All search for tag:1* tag:2* tag:3* tag:prepare* would return the set of notes.

12 minutes ago, CalS said:

Search by the specific set of notes you want, save the search with view if it is frequent.  In your example it looks like an All search for tag:1* tag:2* tag:3* tag:prepare* would return the set of notes.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. applying your suggestion works if I want to see only the notes with all those tags. Instead I'd like to see all the tags I showed you in the photo, and I'd like to see only that specific subset of notes in alpha order by title.

It seems like evenote, when a primary "sort by" option has been selected (e.g. by tag), sorts the notes by update (the ones updated more recently go to the bottom). Isn't it possible to change this second? Specifically giving the order to sort firstly by tag and then, if one or more notes have the same tag(s), sort them by title?

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, Ric_ds said:

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. applying your suggestion works if I want to see only the notes with all those tags. Instead I'd like to see all the tags I showed you in the photo, and I'd like to see only that specific subset of notes in alpha order by title.

It seems like evenote, when a primary "sort by" option has been selected (e.g. by tag), sorts the notes by update (the ones updated more recently go to the bottom). Isn't it possible to change this second? Specifically giving the order to sort firstly by tag and then, if one or more notes have the same tag(s), sort them by title?

EN can't sort a subset of a list unless you make that subset the list, and then it's not a subset.  Catch-22ish..

No controlled secondary sort in EN.  Funny, I just selected a tag ($tatement)  which is typically paired with others, sorted by tag, and the "secondary" sort appears to be by created date, newest first when the tags are the same.  Not the same you are seeing.   FWIW.

EDIT:  If I reverse the sort order on the tag the created date order changes as well to mirror the tag order.

9 minutes ago, CalS said:

EN can't sort a subset of a list unless you make that subset the list, and then it's not a subset.  Catch-22ish..

No controlled secondary sort in EN.  Funny, I just selected a tag ($tatement)  which is typically paired with others, sorted by tag, and the "secondary" sort appears to be by created date, newest first when the tags are the same.  Not the same you are seeing.   FWIW.

I see, that's weird, maybe it hints that this secondary sorting can be changed in some way?

I don't know, anyway I'll cope with it. However, albeit great, EN sometimes makes me feel like I don't have freedom to choose over some features (like this one about "secondary" sorting) and have to cope with it. I don't know if there's a reason for this limitation, if not I think there's room for improvement in this direction.

Thanks a lot

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Ric_ds said:

I see, that's weird, maybe it hints that this secondary sorting can be changed in some way?

I don't know, anyway I'll cope with it. However, albeit great, EN sometimes makes me feel like I don't have freedom to choose over some features (like this one about "secondary" sorting) and have to cope with it. I don't know if there's a reason for this limitation, if not I think there's room for improvement in this direction.

Thanks a lot

Yeah, or could just be kinda random based upon choices made prior to the search and sort?

You are welcome and good luck coping.  ;)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Ric_ds said:

Evernote has never had user-controllable secondary sort. Heck, it's not all that long ago (ok, a few years) that they even added a saveable primary sort, and even that was only part of the Windows product: it was always a global setting before. If there is some sort of consistent secondary sort going on, it may be just accidental.

Of course there's room for improvement, in many areas, but my guess is that it'll be awhile before we see much of that, at least until the new framework is in place.

Edit: I eventually tried out that sort-by-tag thing: I found cases where the tag sets were identical, but the ordering of created date was seemingly random, and ditto for updated date. Secondary sorting in Evernote is chimeric.