Crashing just after opening

Running Mojave and evernote will no longer open. It opens for a split second then crashes. I have installed the latest version and reinstalled but no luck. This started after I got rid of Catalina and reinstalled Mojave, I don't know if that matters or how.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.19.02 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Did you uninstall using the app AppCleaner ? And if so, did you check all items (you have to scroll down the list in the AppCleaner window and manually check them all) before uninstalling ? Then before reinstall restart your Mac.

If you have local notebooks, this will delete them. So before wiping make sure you have a backup of these. Everything else will be copied down from the EN server once you have reinstalled successfully.

• Level 5

AppCleaner is an app, made to clean other apps from a Mac. It is free, and gives you more control over what to erase and what to keep. In some cases you want to keep something, for example settings to make a reinstall easier. 

In the case of EN, it is important to really clean every piece of software from the Mac, because this is often the cause for continued crashes. The standard trash bin procedure will sometimes not remove this residue, which leads to more crashes even after an uninstall.  Checking all positions in AppCleaner will as well remove the data base, so if it has developed problems, they will be removed as well.

You can download it for free, for example here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

The last weird bit that maybe got stuck somewhere is cleaned out by restarting the Mac after the cleaning.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

AppCleaner is an app, made to clean other apps from a Mac. It is free, and gives you more control over what to erase and what to keep. In some cases you want to keep something, for example settings to make a reinstall easier. 

In the case of EN, it is important to really clean every piece of software from the Mac, because this is often the cause for continued crashes. The standard trash bin procedure will sometimes not remove this residue, which leads to more crashes even after an uninstall.  Checking all positions in AppCleaner will as well remove the data base, so if it has developed problems, they will be removed as well.

You can download it for free, for example here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

The last weird bit that maybe got stuck somewhere is cleaned out by restarting the Mac after the cleaning.

Worked for me, too. I had done the same process using both Hazel and AppZapper to clear away detritus files but kept having the same result. I'd been with Apple tech support for 1.5 hours. It wasn't until I used AppCleaner that I was able to relaunch Evernote and have it be happy again. Which makes me happy! 😁 Thanks, PinkElephant!

I had this problem and it was sql lite related.
Go to Users/<user>/Library/Group Containers and delete the *****.evernote.***** folder.
It will kill the settings you have, but the notes will be reloaded upon next launch

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Joss keep said:

I have this issue - will I lose all my notes if I kick this off ?

The database will be reloaded from the server
Only note loss will by unsync'd or Local Notebooks