Password protect a pdf within a note?

annerice99

Idea

I know that password protecting an entire note or notebook has been a desire for a long time, but I'm wondering if I can password protect a scanned pdf within a note. I can't highlight text to protect since it's a scanned file. Any suggestions?

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote can only encrypt pure text in a note.

You would be able to open a PDF in Adobe or another PDF editor on your desktop to encrypt it,  then re-upload it to your note. The original will still exist in your note history but the current version will require a password. If you scan to a folder on your hard drive,  files can be OCR'd (made searchable) and encrypted there before being attached to a note. 

(Other apps can also encrypt their output files,  and if you compress a file to a ZIP archive the compression software can usually encrypt the archive.)

• Level 5*
On 4/3/2020 at 6:31 AM, annerice99 said:

I'm wondering if I can password protect a scanned pdf within a note. I can't highlight text to protect since it's a scanned file. Any suggestions?

Per @gazumped, by opening the PDF in another program from within EN, applying the password, and saving.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, CalS said:

Per @gazumped, by opening the PDF in another program from within EN, applying the password, and saving.

Any recommendation for an inexpensive app?   
Mac users have the Preview app delivered with the OS.  I use an automator script

I moved this discussion to the cross-platform forum

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Any recommendation for an inexpensive app?   
Mac users have the Preview app delivered with the OS.  I use an automator script

I moved this discussion to the cross-platform forum

I've had Adobe for a while, pre their license change, and not cheap in any case.  A search will return all kinds of options which one can filter through.  No particular knowledge here though.

• Level 5

Personally I prefer the PDF Expert app by readdle on my iOS devices and my Mac.

It is cheap (er than Adobe), and from time to time one can buy it with a pretty good discount.

It serves as a multitool to handle pdf-related issues.