Keyboard shortcut broken with caps lock.

Hello there,

Keyboard shortcuts such as pasting (Ctrl+V) or bolding (Ctrl+B) seems to be broken on Evernote Web v6.8.0.

If the caps lock is on, they don't work, presumably because the event handler actually checks for the lowercase version of the key.

This is on Chrome 80, Linux platform.

Cheers!

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. Thanks for the report. I just tested with v. 6.8.0 in Opera. Weirdly, I find that having Caps Lock on disables Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+B/I, but not Ctrl+U, Ctrl+C/X/V, or Ctrl+F. I.e., only undo, bold, and italics are disabled. It seems particularly strange that Ctrl+B and Ctrl+I are disabled, but not Ctrl+U. With Cap Locks off, of course, they all work fine.

• Level 5
On 4/4/2020 at 5:22 PM, jefito said:

It's not uncommon to have Ctrl+Shift+<key> shortcuts these days -- wondering whether that's a factor here...

Good thought, though I'm not sure that Caps Lock registers identically with Shift+<key> to a program. That's the case in the Windows desktop program; I just tested. And if there is something special for, say, Ctrl+Shift+B in the Web beta (as there is in the Windows program), it is not happening AFAICT. With Caps Lock on, nothing happens at all.

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Good thought, though I'm not sure that Caps Lock registers identically with Shift+<key> to a program. That's the case in the Windows desktop program; I just tested. And if there is something special for, say, Ctrl+Shift+B in the Web beta (as there is in the Windows program), it is not happening AFAICT. With Caps Lock on, nothing happens at all.

It was a pretty half-baked guess and I didn't take time to elaborate. In my world (Win32  application, processing 3D view shortcut commands, as opposed to text processing), for something like Ctrl+Shift+W, we get an uppercase 'W', and we check the states of the Ctrl and Shift keys to see whether they're up or down (both down, in this case). I we needed to distinguish between Shift+W and 'w' with Caps Lock on, we'd have to test the Caps Lock state as well. So it's up to the handler to decide in straight up Win32 programming. Not how things play out in the web keystroke handling, though.

BTW, my web version is "Evernote Web v5.30.0"; this is the normal user's beta web version (which is the same as the "classic editor"'s version). Is 6.8.0 the beta program's version?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jefito said:

BTW, my web version is "Evernote Web v5.30.0"; this is the normal user's beta web version (which is the same as the "classic editor"'s version). Is 6.8.0 the beta program's version?

images.jpg.07c6ddefecaeac045ceed62015da4a40.jpg

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, CalS said:

images.jpg.07c6ddefecaeac045ceed62015da4a40.jpg

Just pullin' the numbers out the web app. But remember that there's a public beta that uses the new Large Header/Small header... stuff, and the classinc one that doesn't, but there's also the limited access beta, that I didn't get into in time (I guess). Maybe that's the one being referred to here. But in which case, the post should probably have gone here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/640-new-search-experience-currently-web-only/

I share your confusion...

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, jefito said:

I share your confusion...

And New ( Evernote Web 5.30.0) / Previous (no version number) are the terms that appear when I access the web version.  I think Previous is the new classic post the old classic.  I'm sure that helps clear things up.