Checkbox for "Assign selected notebook to new notes"

Don Dz

Idea

Hi, this must have been discussed already, but I could not find it by searching:

We have the option to uncheck "Assign selected tags to new notes".

I am requesting the similar checkbox option "Assign selected notebook to new notes" (so the feature can be disabled by the user).

The original motivation for this request was the bug below, but when/if the bug is fixed, it would still be nice to not have new notes created away from the default notebook without noticing, especially if the notebook accidentally selected is shared, which cannot be modified even with editing privileges, for some reason.

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

HI.  Working in the 'All Notes' view,  it's not my experience that editing an existing note jumps to that notebook,  or that creating a new note assigns it to anything other than my default notebook.  What's your OS and can you list out your process in detail?

Mine,  for instance,  is:

• Notes open in 'All Notes' view
  • click into single note in a specific notebook and edit content
  • click 'New Note'
  • create new note in Default Notebook...

If I select another notebook I see only notes in that notebook (obvs!) and new notes are created there.

I'd suspect if the option existed to assign new notes to a specific notebook,  I'd always have left it set to the 'wrong' notebook no matter where I create the note...

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'd suspect if the option existed to assign new notes to a specific notebook,  I'd always have left it set to the 'wrong' notebook no matter where I create the note...

Normally if the view is set to a specific notebook, newly created notes would be placed there instead on in the default one.  This did not happen too often before the bug, but often enough that I think my suggestion to give the user the option to disable it has merit.

The bug described in detail on the link above exacerbates  the problem exponentially, and even though the problem is still not huge, it becomes huge when the "wrong" notebook is a shared one, since it cannot be altered from my end for some reason.

I created the original shared notebook myself while visiting relatives, but I no longer have access to that computer to fix the problem from that end, and the owner of that computer is is not familiar with Evernote and not terribly computer savvy.

The black tags at the top of this topic mention some of what you are asking.

• Like 1