Forwarded emails not processed - Evernote internal error

buggy158

Idea

Hi 

For the last couple of days some of my emails forwarded to Evernote (with a premium account) are rejected - with a retour email message from evernote saying that due do an internal error the message was not processed and I should re-send it later (see picture below - in Dutch). Re-sending does not work. This is becoming quite of a problem for me as I use that feature a lot (and it used to work like a charm in the past)- has anybody else experience this kind of problem?

image.png.9a3c7b445392917ae83057b1ad2c881f.png

Regards,

Piotr

33 replies to this idea

Hello,

No, in my case emails are directly forwarded either from Outlook or Gmail. The problems seems to appear mainly for more complex emails (long conversations with multiple users  + attachments etc., not necessarily large in size) although up till now I did not find direct correlation. I have started to experience that problem around the time that I have updated Evernote to the latest version. What puzzles me is that message from Evernote's servers suggesting that the problem occurs on their servers.

Indirect solution that seems to work is the use of Evernote Clipper for Microsoft Outlook which apparently can process and successfully save the same emails which are being rejected with normal forward to an Evernote email function. 

• Like 1

I was able to forward emails to Evernote as recently as 6 days ago.

If you think the complexity of the original email is the problem, you could perhaps isolate and reproduce the problem. For example, make a copy of the original, then modify the copy to remove all attachments, perhaps even convert it to plain text instead of HTML, then forward to Evernote. If that works, you would then repeat the process, each time modify the copy less, until you discover which element of the original email Evernote has a problem with. Then you could take this information to Evernote support and tell them, hey, I've isolated the problem and can reproduce it, now you have to fix it.

However, even if you do this, I am not sure Evernote will fix it. They still offer the email to Evernote service, but improving it isn't a priority for them.

I seem to be experiencing the same, although it's now a year after this original post. I had been able to send emails from my mail Inbox to myself at Evernote, and now twice I'm receiving this message from my mail server: "Client host rejected: Y
our message was rejected due to spam filtering. Please see http://www.
sophos.com/security/ip-lookup?ip=82.165.159.130" 

Do I now have to add my email to an Evernote whitelist? (Although it's my Evernote account email. And that seems like something Evernote would automatically 'add' to a whitelist for me anyway.) I don't care to have to copy/paste as that would be a removal of a feature for me.

Please advise. thank you

As of Thursday, March 11, 2021, I"m unable to send myself email to my evernote account from my primary email address.  My secondary email address is working - but having my primary email address is necessary.  I have been using this functionality for YEARS with no issues.

I have opened a ticket with Support and they have not been able to resolve the issue.  I"m not receiving any return rejected notification - it's going into a blackhole.  

I suspect they filtering my inbound emails as SPAM, however, EN should never reject spam - they should require the user to change their inbound email address, which is a standard function in EN.

(using google translate I figure you have the same problem as I do).

Agreed - up until last week, it worked perfectly well for me.  I suspect they have implemented some spam filtering on inbound email and my domain or my smtp relay is on their blacklist.  My domain and my smtp relay is very clean and actively managed by my mail provider to have a high reputation.  So I suspect EN is being overly restrictive.  

I am also experiencing the same issue. I'm forwarding my emails to my evernote account and I see in the log of my mailserver that the mail was delivered, but they are not showing up in Evernote. Luckily I did check if my mails where received by Evernote before deleting them.

For me this is one of the most important features and Evernote is not a service I can blindly trust anymore.

On 3/16/2021 at 4:13 PM, John Puccini said:

I am also experiencing the same issue. I'm forwarding my emails to my evernote account and I see in the log of my mailserver that the mail was delivered, but they are not showing up in Evernote. Luckily I did check if my mails where received by Evernote before deleting them.

For me this is one of the most important features and Evernote is not a service I can blindly trust anymore.

I've been working with Support for 4 days.  Turns out they had some issues last week (or so) and this broke.  They have fixed most of it, but you need to whitelist the inbound email address/domain.  I think they probably whitelisted the major web-based mail providers (yahoo.com gmail.com outlook.com etc), but if you have your own domain, then it's likely not there and you need to tell them to add it.

I suggest opening up a case and asking them to whitelist your email address or domain (I'm still unsure if they can whitelist an entire domain, or just email addresses.).

To get them jump started, tell them you're having the same problem as Ticket Number #3278466 (which is my Ticket ID and the guy i've been working with us really good and knows the issue and has been helpful in resolving it).

• Thanks 3
  • Level 5

First level support has relayed my ticket to the technical group. I think I will hear from them today.

Very positive: Support got fast with answering tickets - back to normal. And it seems the support chat is back !

• Like 1

I opened a Ticket and got answer within an hour.

They had a problem last week with the forwarding service  and they made some updates to protect our accounts. While I think that is a good thing, I find it surprising my mails are disappearing without any error message. Beside that, the domain that I am using contains all authenticity marks against email forgery (DMAC, DKIM and SPF). I think their protection is too strict. 

I used to blindly trust Evernote as "my second brain", but if I send information to my "second brain" and it never arrives there, it is even worse than my own brain :)

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Probably more a whitelist / blacklist thing. I run several accounts with different providers, and send test mails from all of them. There was one provider where all mails disappeared, the others went through. So I think it is more a mail provider issue, which points to blacklisting.

This would explain why there is not error code send back - you avoid this when blacklisting, because you don’t want to confirm the mail address to the (alleged) spammer.

I am a system administrator and when I make the blacklist of our mailserver so strict I delete mails from our customers without any notice, I think my boss will fire me on the spot.

I think they had a problem last week and they had to come up with a quick and dirty solution.

I wonder what happened with the mails I sent. If they where really completely deleted I find that very disturbing. A mail should get a spam score depending on a lot of factors. If a domain does not have DMAC, DKIM and SPF records, I can understand mail sent from that domain is blocked, perhaps even without a notice. But when a mail system doesn't have any reason to distrust the mail other than a self made whitelist, it is bad practice. Hopefully it is something they are working on.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The mails I send as a test and disappeared came from one of the largest German mail providers. I know there are other cases as well, specifically from this provider.

Support asked for my EN mail address and are probably searching them.

When a server is down, usually you get a message back. This is why I think it was blacklisting. Blacklisting does not mean you delete stuff - what happens can be defined by the admin, as you say. In fact there are organizations that will delete unwanted mail, most relay them to a spam folder, which will autodelete after 30 days or so. We will see what support finds in this case.

Got answer from the Evernote Technical Support Team. According to them they had an issue with the forwarding service which is resolved now.

In my opinion they indeed whitelisted the domain that I mentioned in my ticket, but the claim that they had an issue that is now resolved is false. The email address I normally use is working now, but when I try to send from my work email the mail still disappears.  Whitelisting a single address or domain is in my opinion covering up a widespread problem.

Have an issue with the emailing in general. None of my mails are synced with evernote. Neither from work account nor from private mail account.

The issue started a while ago (~6days). Resetting Evernote email did not help...

Anyone else having that issue?

1 minute ago, SevenAndrew said:

Have an issue with the emailing in general. None of my mails are synced with evernote. Neither from work account nor from private mail account.

The issue started a while ago (~6days). Resetting Evernote email did not help...

Anyone else having that issue?

Hi SevenAndrew,

The best thing you can do is open a ticket with the Evernote Technical Support Team. Explain your problem with them and put your Evernote mailaddress and the mail addressen you are trying to send from in your ticket.

Evernote had a problem with their forwarding service last week and it seems that they block all domains except some obvious ones like gmail and outlook. They will whitelist domains on request.

• Level 5

Whitelisting in my case did not work, in case it is what they do. See my post above - mails send from the same provider, one gets through, the other not. Those others that work are „@icloud.com“, but the other 2 are linked to 2 of my web sites, carrying unique „@„ denominations that are unlikely to be whitelisted.

Will post when I have news.

• Level 5

The easiest way is through one of the clients. Support is in settings (mobile) or help menu (desktop).

On the web site, log in to the web client, click your user name top left, select account information, at the top right is your name again, click on the arrow beside it, choose support from the little menu.

There is a way through the help pages as well, but I think any of these should work.

I have the same issue since last week . Opened a ticket . I write every day to the tech support desk . Ask them to give me a call to know exactly what is going on , or at least to give me a timeline for a solution . I use the  "forward emails to my evernote acct"  function a lot .   I am frustrated with evernote tech suppor , not a single call , not a single explaination of what is going on . 

Same for me.

I have also had the problem for a few days that I can no longer send emails from my @gmx.de account to Evernote.

I don't get any error messages, but the emails never arrive in Evernote.

Just contacted Evernote support.
They are forwarding the issue to tech support.
I am curious... 😁

Its a shame how Evernotes discloses what is going on .  It scares me being an intesive user of an APP that is managed like rookies .  So far its more than a week sincce I cannot recevie emails into my Evernote . Without this feature working , Evernote is useless for me . Have a ticket open with "tech support"  and NO response .  I have no other chance to contact or chat with somebody on the HELP side .   Shame shame shame shame .

• Sad 1

Same issue here including and email from today. Is terrible as I have multiple email filters to auto forward to EN. Have built my system to collate and process from there. Opening support ticket now - looking like they have not resolved any issue but whitelisted users as needed.

I am experiencing a similar problem. 

I am no longer able to send emails from my mobile (Android) @uol.com.br account to Evernote. I don't receive any error messages, but the emails never arrive in Evernote.

However, the same account @uol.com.br works perfectly from the PC (Windows). Because my other e-mail accounts remain working properly, it is not a cell phone configuration issue, but rather an EN bug.    

I have sent a message to Evernote support.

Any suggestions to solve this issue? 

Thanks!!!

• Level 5

There is probably some blacklisting going on at EN, maybe to suppress spam. Unfortunately this is not transparent, mails simply disappear.

To get your mail account whitelisted, you need to contact support.